How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,012 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1291 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

P.S. Thanks for listening that private channels are different then creating whole private teams, although I think it can work that way too. But honestly, I think people should just utilize the group chat feature for private matters since I mean it's Technically, kind of a private channel and works similar, just can't use the bots and all that in chat.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or you could get educated on how Microsoft security works and realize it's not an easy fix and not spaghetti code. The difference between this and other stand alone platforms they actually integrate with everything and allt he DLP etc. that other solutions don't have, so yeah it's not that easy. If you step back and look how it works with AD permissions etc. at the group level to give permissions to Teams, but they really dont' have a way for channels. I mean, if they store it at the exchange level which I'm guessing they would have to implement some kind of individual permission changes at the folder level just like someone would right click a folder to assign permissions. Probably not an impossible task, but definatley going to be far harder than you give it credit for because it's build on Exchange / AD, not some stand alone security like other similar apps. So it's a blessing because of all the integration and users etc. but a curse at the same time because it makes things harder to create / change.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"evaluating ways we can implement this. It’s not an easy fix"

The way to implement it is the way people ask, don't pull a typical Micro$soft and implement something you think people want when they are asking for something very specific.

Also, it is kind of easy to implement. You already did it with teams so duplicate that functionality in channels. If it's not easy, you have spaghetti code.

• Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this request is to allow you to edit membership of a channel to allow you to remove users from said channel. I.E. If I make a channel for Corporate IT that is open for all in corpIT but want a channel with just managers for management discussion. This would be a cool feature to have.

Currently the need to have groups of channels within a team or a team within a team is really needed. It would be great to be able to send a message to a team at large or a subset of the team. Right now all you can do is have a multichat group, but that is not the same.

• William Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow channels to to be chosen for privacy individually of the base team. This will allow an IT Team to have a private general discussion but allow a channel to be shared to all users, Don't have to create as many teams.

this is a must have, current implementation is not workable (only at group level)

• Leonardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a really poor workaround. Teams ill never be a viable alternative to slack without this basic functionality. Nobody wants to manage two separate teams, but everyone has public and private content that needs to be shared with different selected people. If over 2000 people bothered to google for a solution and ended up here to complain, then development should have already started for fixing this.

The workaround of private and public teams does not address channel privacy. We're looking to have multiple channels covering management, R&D and other sensitive topics where we want to restrict access to content to only those the admin allows. The proposed mechanism now means we'll have to create many, many teams which from an admin standpoint will be a real mess and should be unnecessary. Private and public teams is great, just keep going and add the same functionality to channels.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This workaround is not meeting the requirements. The request is for private channels within teams. I should not have to start a new team for each private channel I want to add.

• Jen Godsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private teams only works if everyone in the team can access all content - what if only some people in the team can access specific content? We still need the ability to restrict access to some channels

• Jen Godsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! We have things like a working budget on a project that don't need to be shared with all team members, that I would like to keep in the team site, but I can't restrict access to.

• Sheldon Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Suphatra,

It would be valuable for us to know definitively whether Microsoft has discontinued the development of MS Teams or not. This way, we all have clarity and can take the appropriate course of action. Is there any update in this regard?

• John W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra - The suggested new feature, public or private teams, is not the same as the private channels. Teams have multiple channels. Each channel needs to have its own members.

• Private commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this one Suphatra?

You said Feb 8, 2017
        This is on its way.

However, it's now April 21 and no update :o :'(

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about the following Idea:

Instead of having private Channels, you add a level above the teams -> So the structure would look like the following:

- Teams
        - Groups (which is now a Team) (to call it groups, makes it consistence to the name Office 365 Groups)
        - Channels

This way you add your whole Team/Department to a "Team". There, they have the choice to join public "Groups" or can ask to be part of private "Groups".
        So you have all people organised and all the office groups sorted by department.
        Furthermore it'd be awesome to have hide groups, that are only accessible through invitation.

Also, a group can be part of different teams. So if a group is more like a Project you can add it to the "marketing/creative" "Team" and the "Events" "Team" i.e.

What do you think?

Feedback and Knowledge Base