How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

17,278 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1496 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Pickett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To echo what many have said, this seems like such an obvious capability. We are experiencing extreme team sprawl with many teams only having 1-2 channels. As users gain more experience, channels get consolidated as threaded conversations increase, particularly since there's very limited benefits to creating multiple channels without any kind of access control. Why create a channel for a specific topic when you can just create a few threaded conversations? How it works currently just confuses users and makes the distinction between a team and channel difficult to quantify.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide an updated timeline... we are waiting on this before rolling out to our firm.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To our Organisation this is the key factor to moving to Teams, we don't want Team sprawl.

• Giulio Vannini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this feature would dramatically reduce the need of classic SP Team sites in my organization ...

• Devis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really waiting for this feature before rolling out Teams to the business

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be the feature that put our organization over the edge for adoption of Teams. A must have.

• Anthony Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really looking forward to this. It is a major obstacle for organization adoption of Teams for me. We have a lot of teams that need to collaborate with different departments, but they don't need their whole document library visible to everybody. It causes a security issue on several levels because of the sensitive nature of some of these libraries. Being able to invite someone to participate in just a channel will eliminate having to create a separate Team for each department people have to collaborate with and will clean up the interface a ton! Not to mention how much it will improve the user experience. I was really hoping to hear about this coming soon at Ignite, but I didn't hear anything about it. Did I miss it? How soon can we expect to see something like this?

• Miguel Sanabia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was mentioned in many of the Ignite sessions and even at the solutions booth but no real ETA. The only mention is by end of year. This is a really sought after feature that many are in need of, and like in our case has really hindered our ability to release it to everyone.

• Nick Duxfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow this is a Gotcha moment I came to early on. I only started with one team, and that's all i needed. But one sub group in the team wanted to chat privately. Answer, I needed to create another group. For another chat channel it creates a teams site and the full set of resources. Is that necessary.

Will this work with OneNote ClassNotebook's? I am envisioning a new Collaboration Space section being created with each new private team...

Can you please loop in the Edu team when you're creating the workflow?

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this idea with a colleague last week. We worked together on several topics. But only two persons and it‘s not a need to create a special team for these topics.

It would be great to create channels in the private chat per person I communicate. Or conversations would be in order and we would found the information faster.

• Daniel V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I‘m not quite sure, if this was already discussed, but I would suggest to divide the file storage of different channels within a team not by folders within one document library but by single document libraries per channel. To be honest, we have an issue with OneNote then because OneNote must reside in different document libraries as well, which is not a good idea in terms of user experience...
        So maybe it is best, to create dedicated document libraries (to restrict access easily) when creating a private channel. Same is true when creating a OneNote-Tab within this private channel. The OneNote Notebook could be created in the dedicated private document library as well.

This would enhance guest access SOOOO much! :-)

• Kerry M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels woot woot!!! Please help us minimize O365 group objects! this is critical to any organization or business! People can become overwhelmed with the amount of Teams they are on because we are not able to be more granular with Team Channels. Similar to file shares, everyone may need access to the majority of content except for a few restricted folders only a subset of folks should have.

A private channel will also need private files for our company to implement Teams. Please elaborate on how file permissions will work in a private channel.

Thank you for working on the request for the private channels!

• Salah Ahmed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just look at how slack has done it and assess if that's a good baseline and get it done. This is a 1-3 months effort to be MMP grade at best.

Any ETA or will we hear in ignite?

• Darwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this so we can have a public team for hosting cross-team escalations. Public Team + Private Channel would allow one team like "ChatOps for Ad-Hoc Escallations" but each escalation would not have to make it's data public.

Feedback and Knowledge Base