How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

21,271 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1761 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously WTF? Here is an update from November 30:

"Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

Microsoft Teams"

• Fred Langer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really hoping this feature comes forward soon. I have a channel set for a project and would like to limit it for just the people on that project. We would use the unique email address for that channel as well as the Conversations and group meetings for only the internal and external participants. As it is - everyone in the department would get notifications of all communications even though they aren't part of the project. And no, I don't want a separate Team for each of our many projects.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any new update on this? We're really looking forward to implementing this feature in our environment.

• James Heideman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've had a number of users that have started to request this feature so we can not only have private channels but the ability to lock down planners. Any update would be great. Thank you

Very interested in this feature. I see this as a gap. Having a private admin channel for each team is a key feature and quite surprising that it wasn't included initially.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been another month since the last update. Anything new to report? Any potential ETA we can hope for?

Any update? This is the single most critical feature we need and obviously for everyone else. Our Teams list is soooo cluttered. Mostly each team only has the general channel since we need it for one discussion. So the idea of "open" channels only was a bad idea, our Dev's like to have private discussions without our Helpdesk staff snooping in and visa versa. So we have a Helpdesk "Team" and a IT "Team" and a Development "Team" and a IT Management "Team.

• Erik Hensarling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Greetings! I would love to provide a timeline to my group here as to when this feature will be available. As our teams group grows, we are seeing the need for this private channel feature more and more.

• Jakob Fredriksson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? This is a deal breaker for me. We have a lot of projects where I need to restrict access to separate activities.Would help a lot if I didn't have to create separate teams for that (clutters up my teams list). Would like to be able to set permissions per channel instead (or inherit from team settings).

Would there be an update on approximate timeframe for the development stages? Very rough is fine eg within the next 3 months. We are currently creating the team structure but worried we will put effort into the setup of something large as we are in a large organisation, compared to more simplified onventhis initiative is developed.

• Todd Bevins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Delivery of private channel functionality is long past due.

People that say everything should be public are living in a fantasy world. Most companies have groups that need to collaborate, but cannot make their work public to others in the company. Topics/communications (legal, HR, A&D, research teams).

There does; however, need to be a way to structure teams such that everyone in the company can see a master channel. This would aid distribution and access to communications that are truly worthy of communication to the entire company.

Given the implications of exposing truly private data to a company wide channel, controls need to be provided to safeguard against accidental broadcast to the wrong channel.

• Tony Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of being in 50 teams, I want to be in only one, and in this one I could see all the channels I am involved with. This feature will go some way to helping me do this. Different Channels=Different Workstreams. Differerent workstreams=Different People who see only the content in their channels. The idea that everyone in a team sees everything in that team makes Team=Task, and that's very limiting.

• A.H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like to limit team members who can see particular Channel though in the same Team members.

In other words, we'd like to have any option to control each Channel access right for only some limited members, not all Team members.

Currently if any Channel is created within a Team then all Team members can see the Channel contents.

• Marina Pahomova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we can wait this opp? It is really super one. I need it to my big department , really want the ability to control membership and permissions of each channel individually so we can properly manage internal and external collaborators on each team/project.

Feedback and Knowledge Base