How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

13,191 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1150 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same here: I really thought private channels will roll out somewhen soon, as I implemented Teams.

It's not only private channels that is really necessary, but also the ability to invite guests or even users from the company to only one channel (either private or public), instead of having them seeing the whole team/office 365 group

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with others' comments: we were counting on private channels coming, we absolutely need them. Without them we will have a proliferation of Teams which will cause a great deal of confusion to users and seriously impact adoption.Please can you advise.

• Bobby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi @Suphatra, I'm sure there is are some big engineering hurdles preventing the implementation of private channels but I am in the same boat as Chris WB. This feature is very crucial for us, thanks!

• D Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like some of the others have commented, without private channels we are not able to migrate over from Slack.
        Private and Public Teams seems like a fudge that will benefit no one

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical to have, and private/public teams don't look like an alternative to me. It seems to me almost any team will also require one or more channels just for team lead and/or management.

• Chris WB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well that got a big response from the community! @Suphatra it would be good to know that this is still under consideration/in development and not just shelved based on a feature that will add confusion and complexity to our Teams setup.

To put this into context for my business (consulting) firm. I will be managing customers with projects for "management", "project specific", "team member specific"

In the current model I would need to setup teams for each of the above scope for each of my cusotmers.

Customer - Management
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Project A
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Project B
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Project C
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Team Member 1
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Team Member 2
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Team Member 3
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Team Member 4
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Team Member 5
        - General
        - Etc etc
        Customer - Team Member 6
        - General
        - Etc etc

If we had private channels I could instead simplify this relationship (and the structure in Teams) to;

Customer
        - General
        - Management
        - Project A
        - Project B
        - Project C
        - Team Member 1
        - Team Member 2
        - Team Member 3
        - Team Member 4
        - Team Member 5
        - Team Member 6

Chris

• D.K. Stepanko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels are the main holdup for us moving away from Slack and to Teams.

For our Teams, we have a need for private channels that are limited to specifics users of the team (Managers, Senior Technicians) who want to be able to have discussions along with sharing documents (ideally) between themselves without there being a general consumption amongst the remainder of the users.

• Erik Schonsett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to have someone who is not a part of my larger team be able to join and participate in a single channel that is a part of my larger team. This is something that we used a lot in ASANA and are having a hard time with in Teams.

• Luke Sipple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a permissions standpoint... I hate that you cannot create channels under a team with it's own permissions. For example: all of IT may be invited to a team, but specific teams under it should be able to lock down channels.

If we want to mirror/replace our Slack setup, we'd need like 100 teams versus teams broken down into channels.

• Sean Fitzgerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to be able to have everyone under one Team but limit certain people from being able to use certain channels. Basically, private channels under a public Team.

• Bas de Wit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We still need private channels. When using a team for a project it is possible that not all team members should be authorized to see all information. For example a project team has a Sales Team, an Engineering Team, a Realization Team, ...

• Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that there is still a need for the ability to control access to a channel to a subset of those who are in the parent team. We may wish to have a private Team but within that large team there are sub teams who collaborate in scenarios where they need to keep their activity private from the wider team. Please consider implementing this instead of simply suggesting we create multiple Teams and increase the proliferation of groups/sites within our O365 environment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The terminology here is confusing... Does "Public" mean Public within the company or Public to the world? I assume to the company but I've seen other mentions of external users as well. If this is the route Microsoft chooses to go (I disagree with this and think Chats should be joinable if configured that way) then this needs to be more tightly defined and controlled for internal/external.

• Trent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still need private channels, private teams is not the way to handle this. We have controlled team creation.

• Kamil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private teams is not the answer. There is a situation when you want to add one/few person only to one channel for consulting and leave other channel as confidential from his eyes. To do ne team for that, and moving files, Tabs, conversation (what is not possible to do) is not a solution.

Private channel is the answer for this need.

• Zach Reliford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh and in response to your Try This Instead: We are setup for a singular team, rather than people being members of multiple teams, as different Analysts have different accounts they work.

Feedback and Knowledge Base