How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,010 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1291 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cris Crane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I check this everyday for updates, as this feature is the last one needed before we could deploy it for our company.

• Ajit Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Private" Channels is essential for using Teams in mid to large enterprises. Looking forward to using it once implemented.
        a desperately needed idea.

• Oralando Samuels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a welcome feature on my end as well. As we have 200 people in the office Teams that was deployed but there are some channels we would like to make private instead of rolling out a new team for just the people interested in that channel.

• Sheldon Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wonderful!!! Looking forward to the updates and eventual implementation and availability of Private Channels

• Tim Goalen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news to see this is changed to Under Review, Suphatra... this will be a great feature to have on Teams

• Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brett's statement about new namespaces is super, and all; however, there is a pretty big issue.

Our PMO used to rely on site mailboxes within PWA. In the meantime, Microsoft thought it would be swell to force everyone to use Groups. Guess what? Now, there is an Office Group created for _each_ project, which is totally separate from the project site within pwa. The guy has so many groups listed in Outlook, I'm surprised it hasn't just refused to load anymore.

The point being: if the PMO is being forced to move away from what was a fairly elegant solution to something as discombobulated and friction-inducing as having separate Groups/Teams for each project, he may have to evaluate a different project management solution.

Having private channels _might_ help alleviate some of that friction, having a single Project Management Group/Team with channels dedicated to each project. It still doesn't solve the problem created by Microsoft by 'easing use' of SharePoint and PWA. The fact that every few months, businesses have to reevaluate (read completely abandon) their processes, because Microsoft has decided in its agile wisdom to upend tools leads me to believe that either they are not listening or do not care.

You can't stay the 'standard office solution' behaving this way.

• Bobby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank for the update and for the hard work going into making this happen @suphatra!

• Yan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add an access and authorization function into different channel. That mean, the administrator could set which group member could see the information from which channel.

It is really helpful, that even in one group there are also different channel and different topic need to be discussed with different members.

Thanks.

• c b commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft... this is one of your newest projects.. how could you have made it so big and bloated already where making a change like adding Private rooms is hard to do?

And why do you insist on ignoring what the community asks for, making up your own interpretations? It is comical watching this.

• ed hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. I was hoping this was forthcoming with allowing access to outsiders. That is what we are really looking for here. So we could have a "Purchasing" team with a different channel for each vendor, and those outside vendors could be invited to the Team (with the outsider access feature being worked on) but restricted to just their channel. It just isn't feasible for us to create dozens of teams to make this work.

• Brett Hinton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you look to solve the problem by re-creating Slack in Microsoft teams then private channels makes sense. Most of the use cases I'm reading below seem to try and do that. Having "too" many groups is not that different than having too many channels. Microsoft actually is giving us a new namespace that we can use in the groups perspective and then having channels within those and that makes things like this more powerful not less from my perspective. We have been using Slack for 2 years at this point and private groups would meet our need just fine.

• Aditya Chintaluri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the original description fully clarifies the problem as there are already Public Vs private Teams already available. However, since my request is around Teams & channels, i would like to tag along since this thread is already visible

Feature request: Need the ability to set ACLs on individual channels within a Team. Elaborating below and hope this helps.

Team Root (Private with 10 members)

Channel 1 (set 3 members out of 10)

Channel 2 (set 4 members out of 10)

Channel 3 (set 2 members out of 10)

Feedback and Knowledge Base