How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

17,278 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1496 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a consultant, this is an important feature for our project teams - we'd like the option of inviting our clients to participate in our Teams, but only if we can restrict them to specific channels. We obviously don't want/need separate Teams for internal and external conversations, that simply muddies the waters.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are testing this for the first time. What a disappointment. The lack of Channels pretty is pretty much a non starter for us. Unless this is available now, we will be dumping 365,

• Skip Leezer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The addition of this feature would be highly beneficial and significantly reduce the number of "teams" needing to be created just to create unique security.

The note says this is a very complicated feature - just tag information in each channel and the secure all information to that tag. That would be a fairly simple way of creating and managing many sets of data within the team and channels. This does not help to define what happens on the back end in SharePoint - but tags are commonly used to control access and security policies in many areas of SharePoint.

• Skip Leezer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The addition of this feature would be highly beneficial and significantly reduce the number of "teams" needing to be created just to create unique security.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to create a team (of my direct reports) and then a separate/private channel for each of them. Today, I have to set up seven different teams (one for each and me). Ideally, it'd be one team with seven private channels.

This is already functionally working. If you don't know the name of a Channel, you will never find it in Teams.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking at Roll out of Teams and from initial chats outside IT, we are already seeing this as pretty essential functionality to achieve optimum buy-in.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. How about an update on being able to view all Public Channels when going to the Add Team button. Everyone I talk to, in my company and others, jsut see a blank screen on the Add Team page.

• Gokul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack already has this feature and I don't think you guys want to lose this competition. This is a much-wanted feature and just introducing private teams is not the right way to do it for sure.

• Tim ONeill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? What is your best guess at an ETA for this feature? It's pretty mandatory. As it is we have to use SP permissions to make sub-folders with restricted access / documents but we can't discuss them or refer to them at all in MS Teams ...

• Deniz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? We are waiting for this to be delivered to switch to teams app.

hi Suphatra, it's been a while since we've heard from you. When do you suspect this functionality will be in place. Like many of my fellow Microsoft Teamers, we cannot implement Teams into our environment until permissions at the channel level are in place. Please advise...

• Creft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this feature also roll out to your educational experience as well. This was one of the key features we were looking forward to. Are there any updates to the timeline for deployment?

Yikes, just found out that we cannot have private channels. DISASTER! This is critical for deployment.

• Scott Brower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolute must-have that has been available within Slack for a long time. As we evaluate using Teams at our company, this is truly critical feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base