How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

21,271 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1761 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David McKowen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? I am sure no one has asked this... really holding my company back with no ability to safely allow clients into this.

• Chris K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also very interested in this feature. I have multiple teams that I want to separate into private channels, but still have a central collaborative Teams site.

• Steffen Bojer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this feature. We have approx 2.000 persons, that will get access to multiple channels/teams - and this feature will help us a great deal managing the structure of teams.

What is the ETA?

• Steffen Bojer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this feature. We have approx 2.000 persons, that will get access to multiple channels/teams - and this feature will help us a great deal managing the structure of teams.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy with ANY kind of response here meanwhile, considering this is the most thought after function/idea in the Teams community based on likes.

Do we still have a community manager here?

• Ben Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd further like to add my support for this - I'd even be happy with a public channel in a team that guests from within my organisation can access for support or project queries, but are unable to interact with a Team outside of that.

• Josh King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any idea when this will be added to the Office 365 Roadmap? With a status of "Working On It" I'd expect to see it there.

Hi Warren,

Could be a current channel convertible to a private channel when you release this Private channels functionality?

Regards,

Esther

• jimmy white commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really need to consolidate multiple teams once this has been released, any updates? It's been quiet for a couple of months...

• Scott Spiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for this one feature has been painful. So much on hold until it releases. I hope it's coming soon.

• Ulrich Faden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there already a statement possible on how this mechanism will work? E. g. will channels have similar properties re. members etc. like the Team it self? Will These channel rights "push through" into the belonging SharePoint library where the channel data is stored i subfolders? It would be worthful "to plan" with forthcoming MS Teams structures already today a bit for the future as we are consulting in several larger Projects in which we pitch/poc MS Teams and we always come to that Question....Excited for answer and thanks in Advance!

November 30, 2017
    "Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

Microsoft Teams

Feedback and Knowledge Base