How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,896 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1386 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The discussion comes this feature now or not is now stretching over more than 18 months. Since then, IT and business strategists have been trying to position teams within the company, and the function most in demand by the companies that use teams is the private channel. New functions that are valuable and well received are coming all the time, but the most popular function is still missing. What's really devastating is that we're being held out from a communications perspective and losing acceptance in the company. That can't and shouldn't be in Microsoft's interest! A clear statement is necessary!

As a customer having many external consultants in and out of projects, this is preventing us from using Teams effectively. Creating new dedicated team sites instead of channels makes it **** to administer. So highly sought after to be able to limit access for externals to channels.

• George Nikolaides commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion when this starts to be developed we cannot separate access between Team Channels and SharePoint folders.

Since each channel creates a SharePoint folder as well it should inherit the permissions of SharePoint access there. Otherwise it will create a big mess on who can access what and just need double the work from admins.

• Pramodh Rao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a big issue with Teams. I would like to use it even for appraisals and any private communication but have found it completely an unviable option. I think I would probably need to evaluate slack and see if it makes more sense. Unless we have a timeline by which this would be provided, it will be greatly difficult to think of this as a public-public and private-private collaboration tool.

• Nigel Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Embarrassing isn’t it when you evangelise this product and your colleagues think you are the idiot for promoting it, thinking of ideas for adoption, making people send a teams chat instead of an email, moan when they don’t, and keep ******* on about how really good it will be, and you get stonewalled by the company you are trying to get adopted. I am a real jerk, obviously.

• Jose Pablo Vargas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update?? we don't know anything since the status "needs your feedback" was set 2-3 months ago... users keep asking for this and it is a clear disadvantage MSO has and slack does have it!! Even if it wont be done soon an update will be much appreciate by all of us who are leading and driving the MS TEAMS ADOPTION in organizations!

• Roman Buchwald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The last update from Suphatra is the offer of the survey 2 months ago. From that point just "we are working on it". ON WHAT are your working regarding the survey?
        I dont get your communication strategy at this point of requests.

We put MS Teams implementation on hold because of it. We need ability to manage access at the channels level. Otherwise it's no good for us.

When I spoke to the product team for MS Teams at Ignite this year they said - "will be released in 2018". Do you have an update?

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, there will have been 3 Christmases since this idea has been submitted... Lol WTF?!??!

• Jorge Vasconcelos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please have an ETA on this, the lack of this feature is preventing us from fully adopting Teams in our organization.

• Pierre Trudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphrata please change the status to Working on it and for Christmas give us at least a status update. Pretty please!

• Sheldon Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folks, we need this. Any new updates? ... Shall I find this under my Christmas tree this year?

I'm looking to have a private channel, opened by a team member able to select desired folks (in or out of the team) for a private session.

• Joe Wieck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been creating NEW teams just to enable this type of functionality. This completely destroys the idea of using Teams in the first place. What I need is the ability to have a team where a large group (division wide) can share information. Then within that team be able to have a channel with specific permissions for sensitive information. This would solve the problem with Power BI workspaces and the problem of having reports and datasets in a single workspace. It is just something we really, really need or we have to start looking for alternatives.

Feedback and Knowledge Base