How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

18,459 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1573 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going on 17500 votes and still waiting, sad, I'm sure many of us need this to work asap..

I think this is getting very crucial , I understand the quality of release matters - however this has taken a longer time to be implemented! Please expedite this

• Jeanette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there another way of setting up private groups for a Teams class to do a group assignment?

• EddK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 years, this is being worked on!

I understand you fundamentally got the architecture of Teams wrong and relying on Modern groups is starting to look like a huge mistake.

But even by Microsoft standards 2 years for a feature this requested is shameful. A year ago when I convinced my company to move to teams, I would have had second thoughts had I known how difficult it would be for you to execute on your promises.

Slack is starting to look like it was the right choice.

Dear Suphatra,
        Do you have an actual ETA on the Private Channel aspect of MS Teams. All the previous admin responses said 2018 on the thread. Could I also ask whether once this is actually in place that you can enable Guest access for a specific channel?

I have found a solution to this issue that is more efficient, since it does not take more than 2 years of waiting for the Microsoft team to develop it: Change to literally any other messaging service

I think this is getting very crucial , I understand the quality of release matters - however this has taken a longer time to be implemented! Please expedite this

• Natasha Arksey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to this permission per channel - not all members should be privy to all information not should they have to see every channel not relevant to them...

It's 2019 guys. You said it'll be ready early 2018

"This is still actively being worked upon. We’re still aiming for early this calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well.

I hope to have more details to share soon.

-Warren"

Any ETA at all at this point? A year ago the ETA was "Early 2018" which obviously didn't happen. Should we hope for sometime in 2019? First half? Q2? Anything?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any ETA at all at this point? A year ago the ETA was "Early 2018" which obviously didn't happen. Should we hope for sometime in 2019? First half? Q2? Anything?

• Rafał commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without that feature we are thinking about moving to Slack. Private chans are a must have.

• Ronald Welz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go Alex Go ! Teams is a great product and we expect this feature as soon as possible. Of course we understand that quality is first priority.

• Priyanka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost thinking to ditch the teams for my team. We needed this functionality, without this work will be impossible.

• Terry Walters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is becoming even more crucial as our staff are actively using Teams and the various features that come with it. Even having an update from MS would be beneficial rather than the silence we have at the moment.

Hello there, I would like to add my view on this as well please - that we really need channels to have permissions on them as within teams there are levels of confidentiality and levels of access that need managing. Please can you give us an ETA so we can begin designing with this in mind ? Thank you very much.

Feedback and Knowledge Base