How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

12,323 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

967 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mergim Esati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is bloody mandatory to us. We have more than 4000 users, we'd appreciate having this feature as soon as possible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Development team is migrating to Teams from Hipchat and they are facing multiple challenges as individual chats have a limit of 20 participants. They really need Private Chats.

I need it also ASAP.
        I have a team, where you can find the devs and the stakeholders of that project. I want to create a private channel within this group, in order to be able to store all the outputs of our Retro sessions.

It's been in the works for well over 365 days now... Please work faster. Document and channel permissions is definitely needed for a lot of companies!

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

awesome. If you want to see how this feature will replace my One Note UI, please reach out to me

• Anthony Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an ETA on when this will be released? When Microsoft visited my organization earlier this year we were told it was in the works for a 2018 release. We were actually told it would be a Q2 thing, but clearly excluding members of the Team from specific Channels is not yet available. This is impacting adoption in my organization and it is very much looked forward to. Any update on release ETA would be greatly appreciated.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than adding bots and integrations this feature needs to be nailed, in my personal view this and the external access were the two main reason for not recommending this to our customers, as I do not want my customers who are using Slack to move and suffer a "downgrade"

Could you please give us a date for release? your partners and users have constantly requested this. In fact it is the most requested feature by a country mile

Teams could be great with this feature. It has been requested by many since 2016. Will we ever see it? If there are fundamental problems please tell us. It is an essential feature for using Teams as central communication and file access tool. Differentiated permissions as in traditional SharePoint are important too.

Wasn't this supposed to be launched during first quarter if 2018? What happened?

This would be very good. At the moment we have problems in bigger Teams because we can not create private channels.

• Luke Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another critical feature for our company. Need to see fewer "Working on its" in the less requested features and more speed/clarity on the top 3

Needs to happen to take Teams to the next level. We can't take them beyond the small team realm until it does.

• Leon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the latest, such an important feature for our organisation.

• Adam Raymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much needed. We can’t move off of Slack without it. We’d have to set up 3 or more private teams per actual team in order to use it as it is now, which is confusing and not feasible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base