How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

10,195 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

828 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Viktor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spoke with a Microsoft employee the other day and asked about this feature. Internally they have access to versions of Teams that have not yet been released and this feature was not there yet, so we probably won't see this in the near future...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a key component of our roll-out green light for teams. Would be awesome to get a more specific update to allow us to create some more realistic timelines.

• Leon Como commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will make Teams a complete tool as the ultimate information and tools organizer. I definitely want my own private channel to organize my stuffs and have option to move anything into the community channels.

• Scott Spiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wish there was an ETA on this feature. We've started to roll out standard Teams now instead of private channels.. it's a real bummer too.

I can't believe that private channels still hasn't been released! This was supposed to be done for early 2018. At the very least there should be more updates on the progress than a 2 month old reply of "we're working on it".

It feels so dismissive of such a crucial feature. Many businesses can't use Teams without the support for private channels.

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ten thousands of teachers from Switzerland are waiting for that! Swich it on an you'll get the business running with O365 EDU in Switzerland

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ten thousands of teachers from Switzerland are waiting for that! Swich it on an you'll get the business running with O365 in Switzerland

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a practice group of about 500 waiting for this feature to at least have a timeline. An update would be nice since it's been 2 months.

It's the end of May Warren! Where are you guys with this CRITICAL feature request?...

• Sol Birnbaum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add that there should be read-only members of channels. For example, a channel where the team lead(s) can post announcements without the peanut gallery chiming in.

Feedback and Knowledge Base