How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,003 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1288 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jake Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great, this will really help me achieve what I need to! Thanks for sharing the intention

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this new channel type also create an O365 group? It would be fantastic if it did NOT

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark @Suphatra
        "Channels *should* be limited by the parent team IMHO."
        "The private channel would be composed of people IN the parent team"

We have our Creative Team. They work on projects. If there is i.e. a conference, they need to invite external people (in the org, or not) only to the specific conference-channel (private or non-private either way).
        That might be a different feature request, but I hope, the private channels won't hinder that possibility. We need external people in specific channels, without open the whole team to them.
        Can we expect to invite external people only to specific channels?

Great News!!
        Is the functionnality will include the possibility to have channel in "read only" for some members?
        regards

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While you are at it you could also add something similar. A channel that anyone can join but doesn't have to have all team members in (e.g you can invite team members, leave the channel or assign at creation who should be in it). This would be used for things that are not sensitive but also not relevant to all team members.

• Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes! This is great news and exactly the function I am looking for! Thanks!

• AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Mike, yes you are exactly right! The private channel would be composed of people IN the parent team, but only a subset of them. So for example, if there are 100 people in the team and 10 people are in HR, I can create an HR channel that is private and only viewable to the 10 of the 100 people in the team.

-Suphatra

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you say "different user roster than the parent team", does that mean that it would be limited to people who are in the parent Team? That's how I would want this to work. If I have a Team for my department but the manager and team leads want a private chat, they could create a private channel within the team. But they could not add anyone to the private channel who wasn't a member of the overriding Team.

If I can add people that don't have to be from the same team, then it's the same as a private Team all by itself. Channels *should* be limited by the parent team IMHO.

• David Andersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is the simplest solution that pleases the masses. :)

For all channels (maybe General excepted) we want the following settings:
        - Restrict writing permissions (select all or individual team members) - so that not everyone can start a conversation or add/delete files
        - Restrict commenting permissions (select all or individual team members) - if you need a read-only channel for news/updates
        - Restrict reading permissions (select all or individual team members) - if you need a private space for team admins, class teachers, board members...
        - Add/change channel admin (team admin is channel admin by default)
        - Make channel invisible (visible to channel members only)

This would be great. Right now I have to create another team for every user group. Within our Design Team I would need a leadership team, a staff team, a contractor team, a vendor team etc. It would be nice to have them all within the same team based on permissions. This eliminates having to create an excessive amount of teams for a large organization.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too would love this for the following scenario...
        Our Customer Support department has two persistent chat rooms in Skype that we want to replace with Teams. The Tier 1 chat is open to everyone. The Tier 2 chat is for the team leads and managers to discuss other things such as customer issues, employee issues, etc. Tier 1 people can not have access to the Tier 2 chat.

With Teams, if we make a Customer Support Team and then make a Tier 1 channel and a Tier 2 channel, then everyone on the team can see both channels so this won't work. We now have to create a separate Team just for the Tier 2 people which is less than ideal. I hope that gets put into place.

Thanks!

• Khary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels is a clear need. If not, we get too many teams and the whole things becomes unwieldy. Please, please, please fix this. If not, many of us will have to use other programs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base