How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

13,031 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey guys, guess who’s back from maternity leave? Your favorite Teams PM, Suphatra! I’ve been back for a few weeks and catching up on where we’re at in Engineering.

Private channels is still actively in development, and I am hoping I’ll be given clearance to share with you some more details. What would be great is if you can post in this thread any specific questions you have about the feature, besides just an inquiry on the release date.

You can also email them to me at sparavi@microsoft.com, as well as any other concerns you might have.

It’s good to be back, and good to be posting on here again. I hope you are all doing well!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

1090 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Private commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this one Suphatra?

You said Feb 8, 2017
        This is on its way.

However, it's now April 21 and no update :o :'(

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about the following Idea:

Instead of having private Channels, you add a level above the teams -> So the structure would look like the following:

- Teams
        - Groups (which is now a Team) (to call it groups, makes it consistence to the name Office 365 Groups)
        - Channels

This way you add your whole Team/Department to a "Team". There, they have the choice to join public "Groups" or can ask to be part of private "Groups".
        So you have all people organised and all the office groups sorted by department.
        Furthermore it'd be awesome to have hide groups, that are only accessible through invitation.

Also, a group can be part of different teams. So if a group is more like a Project you can add it to the "marketing/creative" "Team" and the "Events" "Team" i.e.

What do you think?

• Guillaume Deligne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost a month without any feedback from MS, would be great to know the status, if dev teams are really looking into that issue. Can you please update us @Suphatra ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There still is a request to make a channel within a Team private, even if the Team is private.

• Loic Boyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private teams are essential, I have some groups in my departments that can't share information and the only way to do it would be to create private teams for each type of groups that exists. So instead of having 1 security teams with channels, I would not be stuck having : Security General, Security Leadership, Security investigations, Security planning and org and then ad hoc groups for big events like graduations and Frosh events... this becomes very disorganized.

Having a private team is not the same as private channels, it is not a suitable work-around.

• Tim Goalen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra based on the discussion it seems pretty one sided about the direction people would like Microsoft to take. Is there any update on this? Or will Microsoft not be making any changes here?

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have for me to move my team over from Slack. It will help keep things organized.

• Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra - what is the update on this? People are unhappy with the workaround suggested but there is no update to the status.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have single teams working with multiple customers. It is the same group of people but they only care about specific channels associated with their customers. A single team contains too much superfluous information. SharePoint Site collection proliferation is a real problem. Suggesting more teams is more groups, more site collections, and more unwanted stuff for simple use cases. These entities make my tenant overcome not needed or unwanted items.

Please support Private Channels.

• Mihail Musat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private and Public Teams is not at all the same thing with Private Channels.

Private Team - allows that team to be private but all channels in the Team have the SAME members as the Private Team.

Private Channel on the other hand would mean that in every channel from a certain team I can have different (+/- other people) members than the Team that Channel is part of.

Can we have Private Channels, please?

Private teams is great for me. The only feature I would request to add in is that we would only like notifications to channels if we are following the channel

Can you share channels across Teams? Otherwise the Private/Public Teams feature doesn't really solve for the usage cases which are most common in many business environments (a balance of open channels and some closed for various reasons)

• Esteban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like the other comments, the feature of private/public channels inside a team (where you can allow a non-team member to enter to a specific channel inside your team) is a must. Without this feature the tool is not flexible enough. Put this requirement as one of the firts in the backlog, please. Thank you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base