How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

18,296 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1561 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ari Vésteinsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to invite our customer(s) to the team for collaboration (chats, shared documents, meetings) but in such a way that (s)he only can participate in a specific channel.
        So two user types: internal and external where internal users have full access to all channels but external only to selected ones.

• Hammer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey M$Teams,

I really want the ability to control membership and permissions of each channel individually so we can properly manage internal and external collaborators on each team/project. As I have seen many other mention this will allow us to minimize the numbers of teams we need to be successful. As part of our normal workflow we have files we want available for the internal team but not available for the external team members.

Also Team templates would be a very nice addition to that so we can set up proper workflow that can be easily replicated.

Anywho keep up the good work and take your time. I can be patient, I know development takes time and I would hate for you release something parbaked. Teams is an amazing application and I can't wait to see it mature even further.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren,

I really appreciate you are working on it, it means Microsoft Teams listen its customer needs and that means a lot.I know it is difficult to provide a Go Live date. However many of us are waiting for this to avoid creating so many teams. In medium and big organizations people start to struggle to find and pick the right team. Could you let us know if we are talking about a month, 3 months or more to go live with private channels?

Thanks in advance

Esther

Warren, com'mon! There's nearly 8,000 people who have taken the time to vote on how important this update is to real collaboration at our organizations; imagine how many users need it but aren't savvy enough to come in an VOTE!!!

What's the status of this update (with a REAL expected due date please)?!?!...

• SteveE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! My companies enthusiasm is at an all time high over Teams, however they all want to speak with client/consultant but without the ability to choose who can make the post it is a large risk.

Thank goodness you have seen the light and are working on this. Was a massive, massive oversight.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels promote social cliques, which are not a good thing in an office environment. The reason people like these in Slack is that they are able to exclude people. I say no to private channels. Anyone should be able to find (but not necessarily join) a channel in Teams.

Comment 666.

Devils number.

Any update Warren? Happy to pay for it. oh wait, we already are. Wtf?!

We. Need. Private. Channels. Our Dev team laughed and then opted not to migrate when I explained lack of private channels.

Assuming out of the 7700 votes for this feature, lets say 5000 represent a company with an avg. team size of 50 people.

That's 5000 x 50 x Office business license price, so at least roughly 30 Million USD we collectively spent annually and... we can't get proper communication from you guys?

How is that in line with the vision your management is proudly voicing:
        "Microsoft's vision is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more." (Microsoft)

Yeah, waiting 1+ years now for that empowerment... vision without mission if you ask me...

You said early 2018. We're now past Easter... Jesus has already died and risen! Yet, no support for private teams, lol?

• Brian P. Musgrave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please implement this as soon as possible! This will be HUGE for what I'm trying to do with my company!

• Blake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is very much needed. Otherwise we'll have to create multiple teams when we really just need one with private channels.

• Steven Shannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AGREE- NEEDED! In my org. Channels have to be requested the an IT Service Request so creating a whole separate team to have select members is time consuming and a management obstacle. Come on MS.

• David Bangert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to restrict access to channels to certain players and it looks like you cant at this juncture.

Feedback and Knowledge Base