How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

11,155 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

887 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Isaac Chua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this optional, because we believe in communication transparency and so it goes against our values for anyone to create private channels. If there are non-disclosure issues, we would limit the communication to the relevant team(s), and thus there isn't a need for this in the first place.

• Sanjay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is good to have channels that are not linked to Groups. Sometimes (many times) we need to have a place to discuss things with a group of people not necessarily sharing other resources like files and calendar. For instance, we could have a channel to post things for sale - this does not warrant creation of a O365 group (especially at work).

• Martin Müller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually like that the provisioning for access is done on group level for a team as this is consistent with the rest of Office 365. Once a member is added to a group I don't want to think about all the other places I need to invite him/her so they can access what they need to.

For me keeping channels public and provision access on group / team level is perfect!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason we wont adopt Slack is for this reason. Admins should be allowed to turn Private channels on or off until Teams is supported by the MS compliance tools.

1 2 41 42 43 45 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base