How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

13,030 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey guys, guess who’s back from maternity leave? Your favorite Teams PM, Suphatra! I’ve been back for a few weeks and catching up on where we’re at in Engineering.

Private channels is still actively in development, and I am hoping I’ll be given clearance to share with you some more details. What would be great is if you can post in this thread any specific questions you have about the feature, besides just an inquiry on the release date.

You can also email them to me at sparavi@microsoft.com, as well as any other concerns you might have.

It’s good to be back, and good to be posting on here again. I hope you are all doing well!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

1090 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • c b commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft... this is one of your newest projects.. how could you have made it so big and bloated already where making a change like adding Private rooms is hard to do?

And why do you insist on ignoring what the community asks for, making up your own interpretations? It is comical watching this.

• ed hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. I was hoping this was forthcoming with allowing access to outsiders. That is what we are really looking for here. So we could have a "Purchasing" team with a different channel for each vendor, and those outside vendors could be invited to the Team (with the outsider access feature being worked on) but restricted to just their channel. It just isn't feasible for us to create dozens of teams to make this work.

• Brett Hinton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you look to solve the problem by re-creating Slack in Microsoft teams then private channels makes sense. Most of the use cases I'm reading below seem to try and do that. Having "too" many groups is not that different than having too many channels. Microsoft actually is giving us a new namespace that we can use in the groups perspective and then having channels within those and that makes things like this more powerful not less from my perspective. We have been using Slack for 2 years at this point and private groups would meet our need just fine.

• Aditya Chintaluri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the original description fully clarifies the problem as there are already Public Vs private Teams already available. However, since my request is around Teams & channels, i would like to tag along since this thread is already visible

Feature request: Need the ability to set ACLs on individual channels within a Team. Elaborating below and hope this helps.

Team Root (Private with 10 members)

Channel 1 (set 3 members out of 10)

Channel 2 (set 4 members out of 10)

Channel 3 (set 2 members out of 10)

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

P.S. Thanks for listening that private channels are different then creating whole private teams, although I think it can work that way too. But honestly, I think people should just utilize the group chat feature for private matters since I mean it's Technically, kind of a private channel and works similar, just can't use the bots and all that in chat.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or you could get educated on how Microsoft security works and realize it's not an easy fix and not spaghetti code. The difference between this and other stand alone platforms they actually integrate with everything and allt he DLP etc. that other solutions don't have, so yeah it's not that easy. If you step back and look how it works with AD permissions etc. at the group level to give permissions to Teams, but they really dont' have a way for channels. I mean, if they store it at the exchange level which I'm guessing they would have to implement some kind of individual permission changes at the folder level just like someone would right click a folder to assign permissions. Probably not an impossible task, but definatley going to be far harder than you give it credit for because it's build on Exchange / AD, not some stand alone security like other similar apps. So it's a blessing because of all the integration and users etc. but a curse at the same time because it makes things harder to create / change.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"evaluating ways we can implement this. It’s not an easy fix"

The way to implement it is the way people ask, don't pull a typical Micro$soft and implement something you think people want when they are asking for something very specific.

Also, it is kind of easy to implement. You already did it with teams so duplicate that functionality in channels. If it's not easy, you have spaghetti code.

• Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this request is to allow you to edit membership of a channel to allow you to remove users from said channel. I.E. If I make a channel for Corporate IT that is open for all in corpIT but want a channel with just managers for management discussion. This would be a cool feature to have.

Currently the need to have groups of channels within a team or a team within a team is really needed. It would be great to be able to send a message to a team at large or a subset of the team. Right now all you can do is have a multichat group, but that is not the same.

• William Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow channels to to be chosen for privacy individually of the base team. This will allow an IT Team to have a private general discussion but allow a channel to be shared to all users, Don't have to create as many teams.

this is a must have, current implementation is not workable (only at group level)

• Leonardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a really poor workaround. Teams ill never be a viable alternative to slack without this basic functionality. Nobody wants to manage two separate teams, but everyone has public and private content that needs to be shared with different selected people. If over 2000 people bothered to google for a solution and ended up here to complain, then development should have already started for fixing this.

The workaround of private and public teams does not address channel privacy. We're looking to have multiple channels covering management, R&D and other sensitive topics where we want to restrict access to content to only those the admin allows. The proposed mechanism now means we'll have to create many, many teams which from an admin standpoint will be a real mess and should be unnecessary. Private and public teams is great, just keep going and add the same functionality to channels.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This workaround is not meeting the requirements. The request is for private channels within teams. I should not have to start a new team for each private channel I want to add.

• Jen Godsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private teams only works if everyone in the team can access all content - what if only some people in the team can access specific content? We still need the ability to restrict access to some channels

• Jen Godsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! We have things like a working budget on a project that don't need to be shared with all team members, that I would like to keep in the team site, but I can't restrict access to.

• Sheldon Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Suphatra,

It would be valuable for us to know definitively whether Microsoft has discontinued the development of MS Teams or not. This way, we all have clarity and can take the appropriate course of action. Is there any update in this regard?

• John W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra - The suggested new feature, public or private teams, is not the same as the private channels. Teams have multiple channels. Each channel needs to have its own members.

Feedback and Knowledge Base