How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,003 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1288 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this idea with a colleague last week. We worked together on several topics. But only two persons and it‘s not a need to create a special team for these topics.

It would be great to create channels in the private chat per person I communicate. Or conversations would be in order and we would found the information faster.

• Daniel V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I‘m not quite sure, if this was already discussed, but I would suggest to divide the file storage of different channels within a team not by folders within one document library but by single document libraries per channel. To be honest, we have an issue with OneNote then because OneNote must reside in different document libraries as well, which is not a good idea in terms of user experience...
        So maybe it is best, to create dedicated document libraries (to restrict access easily) when creating a private channel. Same is true when creating a OneNote-Tab within this private channel. The OneNote Notebook could be created in the dedicated private document library as well.

This would enhance guest access SOOOO much! :-)

• Kerry M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels woot woot!!! Please help us minimize O365 group objects! this is critical to any organization or business! People can become overwhelmed with the amount of Teams they are on because we are not able to be more granular with Team Channels. Similar to file shares, everyone may need access to the majority of content except for a few restricted folders only a subset of folks should have.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A private channel will also need private files for our company to implement Teams. Please elaborate on how file permissions will work in a private channel.

Thank you for working on the request for the private channels!

• Salah Ahmed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just look at how slack has done it and assess if that's a good baseline and get it done. This is a 1-3 months effort to be MMP grade at best.

Any ETA or will we hear in ignite?

• Darwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this so we can have a public team for hosting cross-team escalations. Public Team + Private Channel would allow one team like "ChatOps for Ad-Hoc Escallations" but each escalation would not have to make it's data public.

• Sathish Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very necessary for a Project/Group/Team which has sub Teams and wants to share information within themselves, which may not be of interest for the entire crowd. Looking forward to have this feature in the MT. Again, it shouldn't be restricted with Owner to say if it can be private/public. The Sub-Team which creates a private channel should be allowed to say who is part / not part of that channel.

If this idea is implemented, would it be possible to automate the permissions on the related SharePoint folder to allow only the members of the private channel into the folder?

I agree with this completely. Personally, I'd love to have one team for my entire office, perhaps even the organization, and then create channels to represent sub groups, offices, etc.

• MNS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you also considering "private tabs" or tabs that can be password protected?
        Onenote has password protected sections...
        (I guess a Onenote section is best compared to a Teams Channel, but still...)

• Matti Paukkonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How private channel's files are going to be managed? Is private channel just for chats only and files are managed on other channels?
        How about private channel's OneNote section?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had a suggestion today that for inter-departmental communication, it might be nice for departments to have public teams. However, they still need somewhere to store their files that would not be publicly available.

Would we be able to make a Public Team and then make a Private Channel underneath it? E.g. I could create a team called "Information Technology" and leave it public so other people could interact with the IT team. Could I then make a "Help Desk" channel and make it private to just the Help Desk people? Or would I have to make a Private Team and add the entire organization to it and then make the private channel? That would obviously not be ideal...

Thanks!

• Joshua Todd Cowper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From an Australian high school's perspective (and I'm sure this must be common in other countries too)...

We have subjects, which is a group of students, generally in the same year level/grade, studying a syllabus/curriculum -- for example "Year 11 Mathematical Methods". This would be our top level "Team" and might contain 90 students.

This is then broken down into classes. Each class is studying the same subject, but each contains about 30 students (out of the 90), is taught by a different teacher, and meets at different times.

We need this breakdown and that's where the new "Private Channels" sound promising, for each individual class. It would be important that the Educational features of teams are incorporated here though. For example, an "assignment" might go to the whole team if it is a piece of summative assessment (counts toward student grades) that the whole subject therefore needs to submit. However, an "assignment" might also be a piece of review homework that one teacher has set for their class only, so should therefore go to just their Private Channel.

The OneNote Class Notebook would also need this understanding of subjects (Teams) and classes (Private Channels). Currently, a channel simply adds one section to the Collaboration Space in the Class Notebook. We would need to have the ability to add multiple sections, to either a Content Library or Collaboration Space, accessible to either the whole Team or just a specific Private Channel.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also appreciate any sort of ETA you might have. Weeks? Months? Just so we can plan ahead. We can't fully move to Teams until we have the Private Channels working.
        Thansk!

• Ruth Jennaway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? I would love to hear the progress and expected timeline on this item now that Guest access to teams has been released this week...

• Harrison Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a no-brainer feature implemented in tandem with guest access. There are obvious circumstances where users may want channels within their team to which Guest Accounts do not have access.

SOOOO verrry happy that Microsoft is implementing this functionality. It will push my org towards total integration of this app. THANK Microsoft :-)

Feedback and Knowledge Base