How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

18,213 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1555 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy with ANY kind of response here meanwhile, considering this is the most thought after function/idea in the Teams community based on likes.

Do we still have a community manager here?

• Ben Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd further like to add my support for this - I'd even be happy with a public channel in a team that guests from within my organisation can access for support or project queries, but are unable to interact with a Team outside of that.

• Josh King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any idea when this will be added to the Office 365 Roadmap? With a status of "Working On It" I'd expect to see it there.

Hi Warren,

Could be a current channel convertible to a private channel when you release this Private channels functionality?

Regards,

Esther

• jimmy white commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really need to consolidate multiple teams once this has been released, any updates? It's been quiet for a couple of months...

• Scott Spiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for this one feature has been painful. So much on hold until it releases. I hope it's coming soon.

• Ulrich Faden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there already a statement possible on how this mechanism will work? E. g. will channels have similar properties re. members etc. like the Team it self? Will These channel rights "push through" into the belonging SharePoint library where the channel data is stored i subfolders? It would be worthful "to plan" with forthcoming MS Teams structures already today a bit for the future as we are consulting in several larger Projects in which we pitch/poc MS Teams and we always come to that Question....Excited for answer and thanks in Advance!

November 30, 2017
        "Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
        Suphatra

Microsoft Teams

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously WTF? Here is an update from November 30:

"Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
        Suphatra

Microsoft Teams"

• Fred Langer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really hoping this feature comes forward soon. I have a channel set for a project and would like to limit it for just the people on that project. We would use the unique email address for that channel as well as the Conversations and group meetings for only the internal and external participants. As it is - everyone in the department would get notifications of all communications even though they aren't part of the project. And no, I don't want a separate Team for each of our many projects.

Any new update on this? We're really looking forward to implementing this feature in our environment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base