How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

10,195 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

828 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • c b commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is somewhat related, but I think it would be less cumbersome if the Chat and Teams buttons/areas were combined. So that private chats, just like the planned private channels, are right there along with the public channels. So they are all folder-like, or section dividers in the entire area where you would.. chat. And having the clickable folders to expand of the Teams sometimes gets in the way I think.. until there are a lot of channels where the screen would get cluttered, they all should just show up. The fact that they default as "hidden" until the user selects them as a Favorite is hard to show and explain to new users in our company.

• John Grobler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this, currently permissions are based on Teams and not Channels, which means that we will need to create a huge number of teams for each team member/project combination.

• Jorion P Serrette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

without this we have too many teams. I have even talked to slack account managers who say they are working on an enterprise offering that would fit into this.

what they have now is not fully analogous to Teams, so don't think of the current feature set in slack to be so.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without such a feature I would require multiple teams in my organization - this makes the complete tool quite unuseable to me having dozens of Teams to manage with just one channel

• Jimmy Andrews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A channel can be private if the team is private, not sure why we need granular controls for the channels inside a private team.

• Ben caffell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make sure to have the ability to turn it off or on. One thing with Slack that is nice is that you can give the permission to create public or private channels to select people in your team.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd actually rather NOT see private channels. We've actually turned that off in Slack because we want to encourage more open discussions, not fewer.

I create a team and add members...that's great. Next I add the channel to the team and everyone on the team can see it. That's great too. I would also like to be able to control, on a channel by channel basis, which members can view\edit that specific channel. We have so many possible combinations of teams this would give us much better flexibility so we don't have to create so many teams.

I want to have a private 1-1 and it says the user is on Syke for business. Well, I am not! I just want a private Persistent Chat.

If you guys want to compete with Slack I suggest you go use it. Consider it like film study for a sports team.

• Nathan Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why?

If you're using Slack as a reference, a "team" is a close analogy to a Slack "channel", and you can determine which users have access to individual teams. If you want to break visibility of a channel, create a team for it instead.

• francesco leonetti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking the same when I wanted to create an "announcements" channel, where a few people are allowed to write but everyone can join and read them

We have a large department using a current slack organization, and we have a split of public and private channels. Management use their private channel religiously to discuss various items. Until this is fixed, we can't consider it a slack alternative.

• Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good to have the option to restrict subchannels of a team to a subset of the members, so we can avoid spamming everyone, they still should be visible for owners for transparency but don't receive notifications in they are not mentioned?

• Chris Moen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I kind of agree with this but only because I want the ability to have a channel be private to a group instead of having everyone see it. Which is already planned for: https://teamsfeedback.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public-preview/suggestions/16911079-support-for-private-channels

If you are wanting more granular control than that why wouldn't you just use a multi person chat instead of a team?

Feedback and Knowledge Base