How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,003 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1288 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra!

I saw you giving us an update on October 18, saying that you did not have a firm ETA. Do you know more detailed information now? :)

Olof

Any update with this one? Why is the development time so long?!?!

Before December?

• Mac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update available? Getting resistance of acceptance of the TEAMS concept, primarily because of this item.

Why Microsoft Team ignore to reply about when the feature will be available ?

• Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is not going to be available next month, is there any indication when it will be ready? Are we looking at January, or towards the end of next year?

• Ludfi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree that private channel are the key for Microsoft Teams to rivals Slack. We already start using Teams but a bit annoying since all the private conversation in channel can be viewed by all the people in the same Teams. Please push this feature out ASAP!

• Jussi Sivonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a reason why this feature is not on the Office 365 Roadmap - even tho you're "Working on it"?

• Phil Maynard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the default experience that those favouriting the channel and specifically invited people are the only ones to receive the invite in their inbox. This is currently causing problems with larger teams where there are separate channel meetings being scheduled. Scheduling private meetings outside the Team space is not an option. Also agree that the functionality to specifically invite teams or channels to a meeting would be a good work around option - as long as they were the only ones to get the invite!

• David Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a private team for a group in leadership aka management. We have a channel for a project. I need to add a staff member to the channel, but not the entire group.

• shane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is the one feature keeping my company from using Teams and sticking with Slack.

Feedback and Knowledge Base