How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,002 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1287 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any ETA on this? Can we expect this in Jan or feb? I am using slack enterprise and private channels are the one thing holding me back to move my team of 100 people to MS teams

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great to hear, I'm leading my organization out of 2010 Collaboration sites and into Teams - this is a question I get often as I talk about it.

Someone needs to expand the text for comments :)

Just spent the last couple hours trying to figure out how to restrict Guests from specific channels, glad its being worked on, thanks. Agree completely with the above selections.

• Mads Nissen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think private channels is a HORRIBLE IDEA. This is why:

1. It allows too-big and defocused teams which creates noise and not signal
        2. It inhibits team comms: "I put the document in teams!" - "I can't see it" "no you're not part of the private channel"
        3. Fine-grained permissions have been tried over and over and over again and HUMANS DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT. Refer to any file share or legacy sharepoint mega doclib with broken permissions to confirm.

The solution to this lies in structure; so we are much better off investing in channel-move or channel-copy, and also in features that allow for drafting-motions in 1-1chat supported by OneDrive4biz which can be merged into a team when ready for disclosure.

Private channels in a team is an oxymoron - there should not be a "select few" in a team, it simply defeats the purpose.

• Taylor Funk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is probably the bare minimum for us to switch over from slack. I'm excited for this feature.

• Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are amazing! I'm truly impressed with the level of communication that you have had regarding all of the ideas that we as a community have provided for Microsoft Teams. It is refreshing to see that our opinions really do matter, especially for a company as large as Microsoft. Keep up the great work!

Yes, please. We need a private channel for our team to discuss dev, and a company-open channel for users to interact with us. A non-starter for our team without that.

We are looking for a project communication tool...Teams could be compliant with our needs except this features which is implemented on all direct others concurent tools (Slack, Mattermhost)...

Could you confirm this features will be released before 2018 ?
        Otherwise we'll have to look after another solution

Feedback and Knowledge Base