How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

19,432 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1633 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Geoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pls. Need an eta. We’ve committed to the platform but it’s painful without the ability to segregate groups of users.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better to let the team owner to choose the visiblity for each channel (must be the members of the team.

Honestly can't believe you cannot choose members for each Channel. Wishing we hadn't committed to Teams before realising this!

• C R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft about to have a riot on their hands, lol....please, a beta to test or play with even?

• Tony UX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most important functions for such kind of software: strict assignment of users to channels. So that users have access only to those channels to which they have been set by admins.

• Kevin Oechsle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to separate channels from each other, my sales team is broken into 3 teams, they don't all need to know what the others are doing.
    We need the ability to choose who can see a channel, and who can chat within it we can't create a new team every time we want a new group, there would be an unmanageable amount of teams. Is this going to happen? We are planning to go live with Teams in Sept. this honestly can't be that hard to do it can it?

• Adam Svendsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@warren any updates when this feature will be released? Or should I continue with Trello another year or two? #howhardcanitbetofixthis

• Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking to implement this in our company, but making private channels is a must as information across our organization is not appropriate for universal sharing. If the only option is to create separate teams for each aspect of each project, this becomes more of a headache than it's worth. It really doesn't seem like much of a programming feat to add this feature. Any updates on this would be appreciated as it influences the timing of implementation... or if this is even a viable option.

Clearly, this feature is highly anticipated. An ETA, would be very useful to help decide if I wait, or start making separate Teams I will no longer need when this is available.

• Brian Owens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical must have! I have to create massive numbers of teams to accommodate this request internally and its most confusing. We need to have channels that are specific to users and teams that are groups/departments. Too unwieldy otherwise!

• Rémy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this ? Can't work it out internally... Can't comprehend the momentum of Microsoft either... How can a feature like this take 2 years to be developped ? If I had a kid the moment the development started, it would be speaking by now...

Channel permissions are really needed. Perhaps could default to Team permissions unless expressly changed.

I need this for limited guest access as well as limiting internal access on certain channels.

• Cathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the ability to restrict access to certain channels would help a lot! Is there still no ETA?

Feedback and Knowledge Base