How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

12,325 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

967 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lindsay Brenner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any timeline that can be shared instead of the vague status updates? Many of us have to make business decisions based on this so a best guess would be helpful - even if it is something like "likely not within 2018"

• John Kostenbader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my voice as well. Adding the guest feature was a giant leap forward but guest access without some restriction to channels is a problem for us. I'd really like an update on this release as well

• Johnn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check the previous updates (this is from November... 2017):

WORKING ON IT · ADMIN
        Suphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded · November 30, 2017

Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
        Suphatra

• Ron Bouma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a feature that has been promised for a long time now. It’s about time that it’s being released, SharePoint already has this feature, so why does it take such a long time for this feature to become available in Teams?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

years are going by and you have not done it...
        What is going inside Microsoft company

HI
        Any date release for it
        we can not implement team until we can select who can join a channel

Almost a year and counting. At some point you need to provide some information about what the actual ETA is or what the hold up is.

Hello from a dutch company.

We are very excited when this feature will be released.
        Is there already some more information on when this is coming?

• Zoltán Lehóczky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just an FYI for those thinking this means you can't configure access control: you can, but unlike with Slack where you do this per channel, here you do this per team (so, for a collection of channels).

• Russell Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a Slack feature almost from day1. If you want wide-spread adoption of Teams, you need to put more resources in to making this feature available soon.... It's very disappointing to see that it's been on the roadmap for some time and we're still waiting whilst other 'features' that have little support or basis for development in terms of requests from users are being prioritised.

Do you have an ETA?

It's an essential, not nice to have!

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hiya, a year ago you said "We’ve got lots of resources on this and we’re actively working on it. This is a top priority feature.". The lack of subteams is a major showstopper preventing us from fully transitioning from Slack to Teams ... I acknowledge that MS is working on it and that there are probbly many obstacles, but could you tell us what the ETA is ? Or maybe I would suggest you release it in phases, making a simple subteam available first before adding lot's more complex features later on.

• Azlan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adoption hinges on this feature. It would be great to have an ETA on this.

Been looking for this for a while. Perfect example came up today. Retail operations team uses Teams extensively. Want to have a channel that the team can use to collaborate with the technology support team without giving them access to all channels. Only current option is to create another team with a single channel for all members from both teams.

Massive feature missing, I know it's on the 'worked upon' list but you've been saying that for two years now ;)

• Mark Chan_DBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft; there is a need to be able to handle permissions for all members better; whether it is for channel access authorization; or for deleting pages in collaboration space. As a very first time user, these were some initial capabilities I 'assumed' available on the get go for a collaborative system.

Please develop as soon as possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base