How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,896 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1386 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andy Z. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove the link to the survey if it is no longer available to fill out. It´s confusing our users.

• MS Lover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, any updates? We can't switch from Slack if this feature is not ready yet

Please update

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys!

Any update? This feature is the most important to improve Teams adoption in my company!

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The one thing I don't understand is the time we've been waiting for not even having an approximation of the availability of the feature. Last update was October (nearly 2 months ago), and we were given the chance of asking questions directly to MS. I take this a bone for keeping us waiting for something that may never come.

• Jody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in the process of rolling out Teams and we need those private channels (like Slack). Any updates on when that will be released?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's now 2019. Is there any update on this? It was supposed to go in Early 2018. It's now a year later. Throw us a bone here so we at least have a date to shoot for.

• Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried to transition to Teams last year when MS said private channels would be available in the first quarter. Maybe we'll get it in the first quarter of 2019..? :crossed_fingers:

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this feature being released please? We are about to ditch Teams for Slack as we can't work with this tool unless this feature is delivered.

• Mark Dolbyrev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The term "Private Channels" should become a new synonym for extraordinary support of Microsoft products.

• Haiming ZHENG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like that even the Survey link is not available any more. Really need this kind of function and wish to get any positive feedback

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it unfortunate that Microsoft's PR team has opted to choose the path of not committing to updates nor timeframes for key features. While I understand their perceived goal is to prevent making commitments that may not be met, it's important for CIOs and their teams to have an idea of the progress being made in the features they most require.

Additionally, announcing timelines could be avoided. Simply stating the main features that are required for this functionality and updating us in their progress would bring a sense of relief to our internal teams that something is being worked on.

Not communicating anything is a bad call in my opinion, and it has hurt Microsoft's reputation in the enterprises I'm involved with. Isn't this what PR departments are built to avoid in the first place?

Feedback and Knowledge Base