How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

10,195 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

828 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well."

Microsoft, November 2017.

___

Maybe we need 1000 good comments.

I've been looking at Teams, but without Private Channels on a Team, it really hampers how one structures Teams. I guess Slack for now.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been looking at Teams, but without Private Channels on a Team, it really hampers how one structures Teams. I guess Slack for now.

I wish this would also allow converting teams to channels. I have been creating new teams just because I can make channels private but if this feature works then I need to do a lot of conversions.

"We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well."

Microsoft, November 2017.

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to miss the 10K vote party! The way it is going for now, we won't see the feature coming anytime soon.

• Bill Tait commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of private channel feature is the only reason we cannot use Teams, and may be forced back to Slack - Get on it!! Please.....

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let us know where we are on implementing this. It would be very beneficial.

Happy 9000 vote day.

A reminder from November 30, 2017

"Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
        Suphatra

Microsoft Teams

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until this feature is implemented in Teams, my institution is staying with Slack. Slack offers this feature and if we don't have it, we cannot use Teams. As simple as this.

And by the way, how come that 9,000 votes (!) is not enough to get this done? Amazing...

Any updates on this MS Teams Admins? Almost 10k votes and there has been no updates on ETA of this being rolled out.

Feedback and Knowledge Base