How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

21,483 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1784 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra, guess whats not been done yet? The most requested feature! You've been out for a few weeks and there's not much to catch up with, Engineering is asleep ZZZzzzzz

• Tracey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this for project teamwork, 1 channel for executive level project board, 1 for project board co-workers, and 1 for comms to people re: the project.... this will cancel 3 separate teams I currently have - my teams are beginning to look like outlook if I don't get no's of teams under control! Thanks

• Derek White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to add people to only a channel without allowing access to the rest of the site.

• Spectra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks and welcome back.

We are a property management company and are using channels for each property. I like to share the channels with my clients. I like to see the following features :
    1. Share 1 or more channels with someone.
    2. Have email address alias for the channel so that emails can be posted in using an alias that is easy to remember rather that the very long cryptic addresses we get.
    3. Could the channels actually have a further depth of 1 level.
    4. Facility to delete the emails posted into the channel. This is to clear junk that clutters the dialog.

Regards

• Adrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private Channels will need to work in a very similar way to the regular channels in a team allowing collaboration and conversations within the private channel just like they do in the regular channels - so ability to add tabs, connectors, etc.

There also need to be admin controls such that Global Admins in the tenant can see the private channels in a team and help with administering.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

I work for a big organisation and Teams will become our main collaboration tool. Therefore the private channel feature is very important to us.

1) Will it be possible as a team owner to select one or more owners for a private channel, i.e. without giving these "channel owners" team ownership?

2) Will it be possible to give access to a guest in a channel, and make sure that guest cannot access any other channel? (i.e. NOT adding guest to the team, ONLY to the channel). Other team-members in such channel should be just inherited from the team, so no deliberate action to "privatize" the channel.
    This will be very useful to collaborate with externals, by giving them only access to a portion of the team information, files and communication, while all other team members have full access.

3) How will the files of a private channel be stored in the background Sharepoint site? Will they be stored in the library "Documents" in a folder (just like a normal channel) but with special permissions?

4) Will it be possible to "privatize" a normal channel and vice versa?

5) Will it be possible to hide the private channel in the left side navigation from non-channel-members? (in my mind this should be an option, not default behaviour)

6) How will a user see in an easy way who are the co-members in his private channel?

7) Will a user who is not member of the private channel, but member of the team, be able to see who are the owners and members of the private channel? (in my mind this should be default available)

• Frank O'Donnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra
    Will private channels allow me to add users to the private channel without them being a member of the team?
    Thanks

First of all, congratulations! Hope you and your child are good!

About the request, here is my idee / use-case:

A new team is created called TEST-TEAM, this team has 10 members (including 1 owner).
    We can divide the 10 members into 2 groups:
    1) Members (people how need to access / change / delete etc)
    2) Viewers (or called guests) (People how only need to view (in the channels that have been selected for that viewer, by default all channels) because of their role, for example: a intern or a director how needs to see the status)
    There are options to limit the members, but the goal is to simple add or remove viewers.
    A viewer may open, copy a file / folder, start a conversation about a file or in the conversation tab, but can never delete or change an file!

You can compare the rights to the slack build-up see this link: https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/201314026-Roles-and-permissions-in-Slack

We hope you will let us all know if this is going to be build and if so a realistic ETA.
    (please note that this request is already from November 2016)

Thank you!

• Michael Schmitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of all the important Use-CAse would be:
    - We don't want to share with guests financial aspects of the Project or internal discussions.
    - Private channels is where all internal users have access but not guests

Again: Any indication when it will come. Currently we have two Teams per Project. That's totally Nonsense. We Need it as fast as possible.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be great to know exactly how private channels work, and what the differences are between a private and public channel. This includes basic things like visibility - are private channels hidden by default, hidden from external guests, always visible but with an obvious lock icon? Also, what will happen to a planner tab if it gets moved between channels - will some users automatically lose access, or will there be a warning about moving a planner from a public to a private channel and vice-versa? And file permissions...

• Ronald Bosch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The company-invitation seems by far the most important to me, as it would be very helpful in reducing the amount of Teams that are currently being created because of different focus groups, that have some overlap but also need some privacy for their own documents.

Another important use case:
    As a manager I want to save all mail correspondance and documents for a given employee in a central private channel in order to be compliant with GDPR requirements.
    1. Know where you save personal HR data.
    2. Be able to export data
    3. Be able to delete data
    4. Be able to give and remove the employees access to the channel

Creating a team for each employee would be complete overkill, and therefore we need/request private channels.

• Vincent VALENTIN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uses cases are:
    - when you have guest on project and don't want to share with them financial aspects of the project. Have a channel where all internal users (or a subset) have access but not guest will be great
    - when have large team with sub-teams some time they don't want to share all information like sub-teams meeting. Have the ability to have restricted channel allow to not create MS Teams only for store meeting minutes :-(

Dear Suphatra, welcome back and congratulations on your maternity.

I hope you can spare some time for us to show something interesting about this feature. We are already a bunch of 12.433 IT guys awaiting results.

Please, plase please. Share results, not just developments.

• Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Welcome back Suphatra.

Looking forward to this facility coming to fruition, it will really help in separating out sensitive or confidential communications and content within the same Team.

Welcome back Suphatra!
    It would be great to have groups within a team which are exclusively for a few of the team members. An example: we have a team of legal counsellors. They like discuss private issues in their own channel while still being a member of our team channel.
    Thanks a lot! Best, Nadia

Great, Good news and congratulations on your baby.

my request is simple, I would like to give access to a channel that has a limited part of my team

• Mike Bakke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - good news development is active. If there is a priority for the 5 types, I'd say #5 (secret) is the most immediately useful (for me)

Heya, and welcome back 😊

I would really appreciate this feature updated for MS Teams.

Here are some thoughts on functionality I would appreciate:

- Members in each private Team should be able to join/leave both team and channels, based on two methods:

- based on Team-admins (and global admin ofc) invite or «add member» feature

- based on membership in dynamic security groups

- The visibility of private channels should be possible to turn on/off by the Team-admins

- The SharePoint accessability following the channel should follow the channel-membership

Best regards

Ole Bruun

Feedback and Knowledge Base