How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,896 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1386 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be a feature literally yesterday. Permissions in Teams (and maybe Office 365 more broadly) are a lot of a mess (especially in a hybrid on-prem vs. cloud configuration) and this is one example of that mess.

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren (or anyone working for Microsoft who reads this message), please give us a feedback on this issue. We're so many of us waiting for a reply on when the feature is said to be released, we need to know when we'll be able to move on on our projects.

• kannan baskaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remember to include the existing SharePoint security feature .that is to inherit the permissions from the Team of the channel and option to break that inheritance.also option for totally new security settings.also options for admins to control what options appear in channel,inherited from team and customizable .

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's now into March, any update on this? Still waiting on this feature before we can get full buy-in from our company.

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been a month since the last post from Microsoft team. Could you, at least, let us know how are the testing phase going? What is blocking you from releasing the feature? We are so many waiting for that and until we have it, we're creating multiple teams when a single one with included channels would be enough. This is ridiculous.

• Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something that isn’t in the initial definition of private channel is having a private channel within a private group. That is to say, even though my private group already only allows certain members, we need the ability to create a private channel that filters a select group of members from the already restricts de group. This is essential.

This was the second question asked when presenting Microsoft Teams.

Look, you can have a team room with channels!

Can I create a private channel with other supervisors? ...No. Hopefully soon? But I already lost the excitement from the user cause they started thinking of how many private teams they would need to create.

Please release this soon.

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this feature. Excited to be able to organize projects by channel within a team (that doesn't need a separate team each time). Any update?

This is a must have. We've created project channels within my team, and we absolutely need the ability to invite non-team members to specific channels within the team to collaborate on that project. We are trying not to create separate teams for every single project.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really enjoying using Teams now. However, before I can immerse fully we desperately need to have privatised channel functionality. Any ETA would be most welcome.

• Anwarlord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a security team channel within which we have sub channels for red team, database security, office security etc, we don't want the person working for office security viewing the database security convo. Similarly, they are several cases where we want the channels to be private.

• saul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is good idea, for example I have a Project Management Team, and each project has a channel. My Team has 100 channels or 100 projects.Each project with your custom tabs. Then as project portfolio manager is more easy manage channels that Teams, but is Very Important the options of private channels this way the people of channel 1 dont access to other channel. The actual option is Have 100 Teams! and it consume many resources.

• HW2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my 2-cents as well - Our company is another that cant successfully roll out Teams without the ability to have private channels within a Team structure. Without this feature i'll be rolling out a new comms platform by the end of March.

• Damon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This a serious matter for our company as well. This will prevent us from creating so many other uneccessary Teams, which means no extra 0365 groups, site collections......
        This being moved back is not a good sign it will be done this year.

Feedback and Knowledge Base