How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,896 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1386 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ralph Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE DO NOT ACTIVATE THIS FEATURE FOR THE CLASS VERSION OF TEAMS! It would be problematic if students could create channels that excluded the teacher, since there would be no means of knowing what is being shared within the channel.

• Michael Kolb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As this is being worked on, I would suggest that its implementation include a feature to allow an existing Team (along with its chats, files, etc.) to be moved under another existing Team as a Channel. Currently, we have several projects for one client each with different team members. Our preference would be to have one Team for the client with each project as its own Channel and its own set of team members. Thanks.

• Miguel Sanabia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who knows if this will ever be a feature at this point. We all have heard the same song and dance, yet to real updates. The focus is definitely not on implementing this feature. If so it would be available by now. So at this point, nothing to see here.

• Rachel Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to implment Teams at my company as well but don't see doing this until this feature is added.

• David J. Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I note that this was described by Suphatra as a "top priority feature" in October of 2017. If I had a realistic sense of when this would be "out," I could plan. As it is, my "team" will be using Slack for the foreseeable future.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also note;
        When adding team members to a channel, their access to onenotes will also need to be managed to copy the securities, ie they should only get access to the section relating to the channel, not the whole of the onenote book, such is what I believe is the case currrently, unless they have explicitly been granted permissions to the whole notebook, either through notebook share, or as a member of the Teams parant level.

• PZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give me the code dear Microsoft, I will do it for free. This can't be a rocket sience. Come on guys!
        I am tired of convincing my coworkers or business partners that we should use MS Teams instead of slack. This feature is absolutely MUST HAVE!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually disappointed after all this time. I would've expected a corporation with the experience of Microsoft to manage such request in a more pro-active manner. Instead silence for weeks, months and leaving us begging and craving for an update every day.

Not overly professional. You understand we also have to run our businesses?

Very keen for this too. We're trialing Teams right now to move from slack. This is holding us back.

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is holding my team back on a full implementation of teams. Otherwise we have to create redundant teams for internal communication.

As a consultant, this is critical for all our clients and for our business as well. We currently must have 4 or 5 teams per project to allow for all the combinations of who should see what, as well as teams for sharing with clients. Should all be manageable in one team per project.

Please give some idea when we can expect this capability.

• Nathan Berger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? It's one of the major roadblocks for implementing Teams within our organization.

Good morning. Would it be possible to obtain an update as to where this development is up to? It would assist in the initial planning of how we will rollout Teams and ensure it is effective.

Feedback and Knowledge Base