How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

14,040 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1205 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Charles Ulrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are actively working to move our processes into Teams. The main guidance given is to create larger Teams and use Channels to break up the conversations. We are running into issues where we want to store a channel in a larger group but need to restrict access to the channels underneath. For example we want to have a larger Project Management Team, and then channels underneath for each on-going project with unique access permissions on each. If we want to restrict access per project we are currently forced to create separate Teams for every project.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suppose that this feature is not available in the near future, because it can't be found from the Microsoft 365 Roadmap?

@Suphatra, any approval yet on providing us with a good update on Private Channels?

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need the functionality of channel access. II work with multiple teams and creating a separate group to be able to have certain private conversations with executives in the same group, it's something I cannot seem to do at this point. Slack has it. Discord has it. I don't see why not simply add that functionality. For those that want simplistic use, that's fine. But that does not mean the functionality should not be added for those who really need it.

• Molly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having everyone added into the team automatically is great, but it should be an option to opt-in to channels rather than defaulting them all into every channel.

Also that survey had nothing to do with private channels, and was written in a pretty confusing manner, why post it here? Just to get more participation because this was the highest rated problem? That was a slight waste of time

• Tracy Alers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only "private" behavior I need is to be able to ping @channel and not ping the whole @team. I want to only ping people who elected to be part of the channel, but right now, there's no distinction between channel and team besides the topic of conversation.

• Bas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey @Suphatra and others! Ok, forget the survey. I understand you put it here, because this is where all Teams users are! (Lets'guess why?)

But who thought of those 5 types of public/privacy stuff? As i read the comments, user Steven wrote it much more clearly:

1) Channel available to all team members (default)
        2) Channel name visible to all team members, but requires permission to view and participate in channel
        3) Channel is hidden to team members and requires invitation to be visible

Nobody wants to make people from outside the org. to see only the channel? We'll make them guest users! And why do i want a single channel to be public-open?

The best thing about Teams is that a bunch of people that work together is a "Team". A safe entity without users that are not part of this bunch.

We just want to control tasks within that team, and in order to do that, we need the 3 options Steven (and a million others btw) wrote about.

Please don't over-complicate things with all the previously mentioned "ideas". I know you can do it Microsoft! Whoo!

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I'm here to check on the progress of private channels so our organization can start using Teams... what's this about other features not preventing me from using this product? I did take the survey because I want to support the product as a whole, but this really wasn't the place for it.

• Pierre Trudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like everybody the features in the survey might be nice to have but not as essential as private channel. Working on the features of the survey should not be a priority as far as I'm concerned. The feature that people want by a WIDE margin is private channel. You would have made my day if the survey had been about features related to private channel. No objection to being of help in orienting product development, Teams is a tool I believe in. In return can we get some news about where is the development team on private channel ;-)

• Damian Keeghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree the survey doesn't answer what we are looking for. While it's nice to move channels it's only required because of the silly 200 channel limit. Id still prefer having private channels in a public team especially with the global nature of my business (to many teams and not enough discovery)

• Kelly Bakhos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That survey was missing the mark. Although some of that functionality might be nice (moving a convo thread to a channel being the most useful), most of that stuff isn't all that important. We need to be able to have a team where we can manage the permissions of the channels under that team so that, for example, core team members might have access to a private channel within the team to manage the team itself - while others are just there to contribute to general chat.
        Just as important we need to be able to manage notifications at the CHANNEL level, and manage the types of things we get notified about. Mentions of me directly should be separated from @Team mentions where I'm the member of a team so that I can set up notifications appropriately.

• Loic Boyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my voice to the existing chorus, the survey absolutely missed the point of private channels. We are simply talking about creating channels with restricted access with an existing team. None of that converting and merging ****.

• Mathieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear @Suphatra,

I have the feeling that your survey misses the private channels point.
        I'm agree with David, " the issue is about security and the ability to have Public Teams with Private Channels or Vice Versa ".

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the sentiments of a lot of the comments here, the survey misses the point.
        The issue is about security and the ability to have Public Teams with Private Channels or Vice Versa.

• Nathan Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the survey completely misses what this feature request is asking for. We need an easy way to create private spaces within a Team. For example, if we have a global infra team, we need to be able to have a private channel for management that only specific people can ask.

This is one of the first things that people ask for when we show them Teams. Group chats are not enough because they are missing critical features like threaded conversations and the ability to add connectors.

I agree with those who have observed that Teams is next to useless as a communication tool without the ability to create private channels. You cannot communicate effectively in a business context without the ability to customize who will be able to read your message.

I also was surprised the survey had no questions related to private channels. I'm happy to provide feedback to improve the product but when asked in the final section "will any of this get you to use Teams more" the answer for all those things is no, because reducing wasted space in the UI, private channel functionality, i.e the fundamentals are what are driving adoption/usage for our team and our organization as a whole.

Feedback and Knowledge Base