How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,896 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1386 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cool so this is far and away the most requested Teams feature but it's been 26 months since this was first suggested, 700 days since you said you were "working on it," and 12 weeks since your last update, which was really just another survey. Which I can't even view.

No where else but Microsoft would this count as sufficient progress, sufficient communication, sufficient responsiveness to your literal paying customers. I don't think I'm being entitled when I demand a response from you, not just about this feature, but about your persistently terrible lack of transparency.

Can you actually say you are "working on it" when 700 days have passed and there's not even a timeline, even a basic feature description?? What is the point of "UserVoice" when you don't listen, don't respond, really entirely ignore the voice of your users?? For the last update on this feature, I literally went into your twitter feed. Why am I doing that??

Well I'm done. We're now looking at other vendors for solving our collaboration problems, because I have nothing, nothing at all, to share with my team on this. 1100+ licenses.

Furnishing "My First Teams" with some mature features, such as permission handling, is way overdue. Surely Microsoft should have allocated the necessary dev resources, if its serious about taking on Slack that is.

• Edua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a dealbreaker, please help us with a lead time on this!

Any update on this? Having private channels is a critical feature. Users are being forced to continue using Slack instead of Teams.

• Shavkat Karimov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a best practice for Microsoft Teams to have multiple channels to avoid mess in conversations and other parts of team collaboration, however as a user I don't want to be part of all the channels and get notifications from everywhere. I only want to be part of what's relevant to me. This is why private channels where the channel admins can add/remove members is important. Hope it's added soon.

• Larry Baxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels are critical for us - we have many teams where different sub-teams are working on specific projects. With private channels we can have everything consolidated in one place and a channel per project or sub-team. Without that we either multiple the number of Team sites and associated SP sites, or we end up overloading people with too much info/visibility for things they are not a part of.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We certainly want to have private channels. Please make this possible!

• IONUT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on... can we please get an update on this? We already have Teams deployed but the lack of Private Channels is forcing us to create 1 million teams and that's not feasible on the long run...

• Aloq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Can't make the HipChat -> Teams migration until it's there. Can we test?

Feedback and Knowledge Base