How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

14,038 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1205 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jeff angama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update ? We also need this feature.

Business case :
        We are a 10 person team, sharing 70% of common topics. But sometimes we have channel that would interest 30% of the team and we do not wish to notify everybody in the channel since it interest only 30% of the team.
        We do not wish to create an other team because some channels are still relevants

Thank you

• Chad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noticed it has been over 2 years since this request was submitted. And pretty sure it has been at the top of the list for most (if not all of that time). I gather from survey you all are looking at some additional/related changes, which is fine, but it would be great if MS would just implement the base feature that has been requested here (the ability to change access to a given channel to be a subset of the full membership of the group) sooner rather than later, and then add other changes at a later time if you decide to do so.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed for our future project collaboration solution. We're a organization with 3000 users and this is a requirement for us. Unfortunately we now have to look at some third party solution for our projects since this is not implemented yet. It would also be great if it was possible to automatically add a private channel "per default" when a Team is created. Like a "Teams" template.

Thanks for pulling the survey - obviously no one gives a **** about the stuff you asked about.

PS - Are Private Channels coming before 2020?

• Scott Hooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like I came to the party late and missed the survey. I'm sure my scenario has already been covered dozens of times, but I will lay it out nonetheless. We have a SharePoint list of jobs that is monitored by a large team. We want to use Teams Channels to setup a running dialog for each job. We'd have a Jobs Team, with a Channel for each job beneath that. From a cast of about 30 staff there is usually only a small handful involved in each job, so we'd like to setup different users for different Channels. Further to this I'd actually like to create the Channel automatically, either via a Workflow on the SharePoint list item, or via a .Net scheduled job. For .Net I would create a console app that would log into the SP site, spin through the "current" job list items and see which ones don't already have a "Teams Channel Link" (custom column) set. For those it would then create the Teams Channel and set the hyperlink. It would also set the users to be associated with the channel from choices made in different fields of the SP list item. The console app runs as a scheduled task periodically throughout the day. Surely this will be achievable?

• James Cypert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add to what I already believe is a clear majority, we need Private Channels asap. It makes perfect sense that an organization might have a Single Source Team like an Office of Academic Affairs, from which multiple interest groups would be able to collaborate in various private channels depending upon need. For instance the VP may need to have access to all the channels along with her administrators, while faculty would only need access to certain channels wherein conversations can happen.

• Rob Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shame about the survey. Do we have an ETA on when this will be delivered or at least when you'll able to get the approval? There are a lot of people here that just want an ETA!

• Joey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we've moved from Skype to Teams as a company, not having this feature has lead to an large amount of sprawl. For private conversations within my small organization alone (~150 members) I have to be a member of 10 different teams, and I'm in nearly 30 total. It's made it very difficult to keep track of what's going on and be productive.

• Pavel Garmashov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my clients, primary scenario is probably reversed. What we need here is having ability to invite some user from inside/outside of the company to a single channel only, not whole team. Imagine this:
        An architecture team creates artefacts and has discussions in channels by domain; then publishes some artefacts and has Teams meeting for Architecture Council involving SLT in a separate channel, but still within the same team.

• Martin Criminale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would happen to the content of this private Channel when one person leaves the Team or the organization?

When private channels eventually (hopefully) get released, will they need to be created from scratch or will we be able to convert existing channels to 'Private'?
        We're in the process of setting up Teams at the moment and would REALLY benefit from having private channel capability but don't want to wait indefinitely to set our Teams up - and wouldn't want to have to start from scratch when the feature is released.

I have a customer whom would use teams for his business and invite clients to participate in channels relevant to them. However without the ability to hide all other channels they are not members of from the views of clients it is a dead end.

Wtf is happening at Redmond?

A freaking baby can be conceived and birthed in the amount of time it takes for one feature to be released.

Maybe we'll see private teams in time for your bubs 2nd birthday Suphatra.

Feedback and Knowledge Base