How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

10,195 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

828 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ricardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if MS Teams could be updated to allow private conversations within smaller groups.

• Monica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team is comprised of smaller teams, we want to have private conversations within the smaller group easily.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You updated this uservoice on November 30, 2017 saying early 2018. We're now in the second half of 2018. Wtf is going on?

"Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
        Suphatra

Microsoft Teams"

• David Costar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Channel level security is a significant gap that limits the full usage of Teams. Having a Teams site for an enterprise-wide department is effective, but not being able to limit specific artifacts and sensitive information to a few within that department continues to be an issue.

• Cyril Darmouni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need it urgently I have 1500 clients that i want to manage in teams but can not create 1500 new channels
        i need private tabs so i can affect each client to my teams
        this is so basic how come it is not already done
        you expect to have client creating millions of teams...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this urgently needed feature ever be released?

As long as this is not the case, I will not promote the usage of Teams in the company I am currently working for as teamlead. The only way to use Teams in a secured way is to create separate Groups for each channel… This is not manageable. Therefore, forget it. Back to Slack.

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'll have 10K votes in no time at this rate, and still no idea of when the feature is to be released! This is ridiculous.

We're now 4 months on from the last meaningful admin update on this, surely there must be some idea of when this is coming? Some transparency would help quell people's frustrations at this missing yet fundamental functionality.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're now 4 months on from the last meaningful admin update on this, surely there must be some idea of when this is coming? Some transparency would help quell people's frustrations at this missing yet fundamental functionality.

Amazed that this was never implemented from day one. it's the only reason I'm sticking with Slack for now. Once private channels are implemented I'll be migrating over

• Arthur Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still eagerly waiting for this feature. Our organization has moved from Slack to Teams but this is definitely a barrier for adoption. It also unnecessarily creates more Teams since the security isn't segregated in channels.

This is the one main feature that is preventing my organization from using Teams. We NEED the ability to manage individual channel permissions and invite members outside of the team into specific channels.

Can’t add files or folders from the app.
        Can’t upload iPhone contacts.
        Reply is not intuitive and starts a new conversation which is confusing. You can’t see what is in the original conversation unless you expand.
        Notifications are not good and easily missed. Why would you make it default that if the desktop is open you don’t get notifications on the mobile?
        Overall the Slack app is much better and easier to use.
        Teams feels clunky and half baked.

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are still sticking with Slack for the moment because of this. Every day that goes on is another tie in to Slack that makes Teams harder to migrate to

• Dave Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a must. right now i have to create a separate "marketing recruiting" team and a "operations recruiting team" etc. etc. instead of just one recruiting team with multiple channels.

There are members of a recruiting team that would need access to all of these teams, but the marketing head doesn't need to see the operations recruiting info and vice versa.

Collaboration is great, but you still need the principal of least authority in these collaboration tools.

Feedback and Knowledge Base