How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

12,321 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

966 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JerzyBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel I have to speak out and provide some hopefully well received construction feedback. I see all the updates and growing discontent on this topic. As I'm sure for many on this board, if not everyone else, I represent myself as the Champion for Microsoft products to my company and client partners . We invest countless of hours in training and time for to support the Microsoft Platform. Once we believe in. We keep our jobs however, for getting things done. Not just working on things.

So I do think overall Microsoft could respond, on any topic, when in the "We are working on it" stage, to also provide a best known target date for next phase or actually release date. I assume these dates are tracked and employees are accountable so they must be known.

Or maybe a "We are working on it - In engineering for design". Next phase, In development target for x/x/xx" But in all instances provide the next target date for the next phase or current release dates. Then when within a certain time frame, those dates may be missed or need to be extended, publicize that and why. I'm sure others like myself would appreciate understanding that.

It wouldn't please everyone, but at least we can provide more to our stakeholders something better, than Microsoft reports they are working on it.... over and over. Hope that helps.

• Marcel Sjardijn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 2 years and 10K + votes and it's still being worked upon.... We need this asap, other applications already have this. Any update? Expected release date?

• Matthew Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have recently started using Teams and Slack in my organisation. I love the way that team integrates into OneNote and OneDrive. This authorisation limitation is driving us to have to create so many separate teams that people have started to use Slack so that they can have a large Slack group with many different channels with different permissions, thanks to this we are losing many of the benefits of teams.

• Liz Misemer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Channels are useless unless we can have separate permissions for the Channels (sub-teams). Without the permissions, might as well just add another tab, but I do like the ability to separate conversations by topics that channels allows. However, won't be able to use this feature until I can define certain members of the team only to have permission to that channel

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The community management from Microsoft on this issue is unacceptable. No substantial update in nearly a year for the highest voted topic on your feedback board... What is even happening over there? Is anyone working on improving this product?

• Jon Sider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the update on this? It's been over a month (and almost a year and a half since it was started)

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any update on this development? Been a little over 30 days since last update. Would be nice to have an estimated timeline.

Private channels, would mean we could use this for HR relevant information, with Channels for each colleague. Please provide an update that includes a realistic estimated delivery date.
        /Thanks

• Niklas Andersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a dealbreaker if we should go with Teams or Slack since Hipchat will close down soon. Any updates @Warren?

Really need this feature. Otherwise we are going to end up with a ridiculous amount of Teams that are not needed. It does not make sense to have to create an entire Team, just to limit a single channel to a subset of users, especially when the only feature needed is chat. No files, etc.

Great summary.

Feb 2017: Private Channels is on it’s way
        Mar 2017: Private Teams launched
        Apr 2017: OK, you still need Private Channels
        Jun 2017: Under review
        Sep 2017: It’s complicated
        Oct 2017: Lots of resources on this. Actively working on it. Top priority feature. Complicated, so probably not in the next month.
        Nov 2017: We are aiming for early next year (2018)
        Jan 2018: Actively being worked upon. Aiming for early this calendar year (2018)
        Feb 2018: Still aiming for early this calendar year (2018)
        Mar 2018: Still in the works
        Jun 2018: Still in the works. Working hard
        Aug 2018: Still actively being worked upon

Feedback and Knowledge Base