How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

18,459 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1573 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that Microsoft apparently thought that their first offering of private teams instead of access control over channels would meet the requirement indicates that they have never actually understood the structural requirement in the first place, so have no interest in pursuing this, or even if they are, have very likely gone off on a complete tangent and will eventually come back with something that completely misses the boat anyway.

I've been asked to investigate and suggest a restructure of our Teams environment because its just become an unholy mess, which I suspect is exactly everyone else's problem too.

Considering that this feature is exactly what I was hunting for, only to discover Microsoft have been bumbling along for over two years without coming close to resolving this indicates to me that in our case we should be ditching Teams as a platform and looking at alternatives instead.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? This comes up almost every day. I could do what I need if only I could use private channels. Is this turning into a Vaporware feature? We were told it should be released early in 2018. That came and went and we've gotten no update since they other that "we're working on it". Can you please give us some information so what have some hope it will come out at some point? I've had to create dozens of teams simply because I can't subdivide the teams I already have. This is making our Teams environment a huge mess. Give us something. Anything.

• Anggiar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's better than Microsoft Team chat/team pane?

SoundCloud comments. It's sleek, simple and fast.

God they did it better than Microsoft. I wish I have that on Ms. Teams.

• MS_GURU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> 18,000 votes and no real action as far as we can see. Where is this getting stuck and why? I think Microsoft has some form of obligation to inform the customers.

• David GROSPELIER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, is it possible to have an update regarding this feature that is very very important for all Teams users (on our side, we are waiting for it to remove our Slack subscription).

• Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't believe Microsoft is really working on this feature without a timeline. Even if the ETA is a little far out, knowing is better than not knowing.

• ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been over 2 years since this request was first posted. Microsoft obviously has other priorities.

• David Soanes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this feature. Our organisation has justed started using Teams and this is such an obvious issue.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone at Microsoft set a monthly recurring reminder to come in here and give us an update? We're over a year past when we were told this feature would be released and are starting to lose hope if it's not gone already.

• MS_GURU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone resting assured as per Alex's last comment from over a month ago? No, didn't think so...

• Anggiar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think they ever give people their update timeline on Uservoice. So don't hold your breath.

• Dirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be nice to get an update about the time line, by when this feature will be live?

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Alex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) is no longer at Microsoft?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Da fark? Is this actually coming?

Since this has been requested there has been two staff quit... That should tell you something

Feedback and Knowledge Base