How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

14,040 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1205 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I shared my comments here before and will continue to do so until this critical feature is available. We moved back to Slack for lack of any sign of progress plus lack of any indication on ETA for this much needed update. I have a strong hypothesis that we are not the only startup forced to take this decision.

Can you help me with the following:

1. How to choose the columns on the reading pane.
        2. Displaying the count of items in the current folder
        3. Centralizing the signature across the entire domain

• IMMANUEL A DAVID commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just as many have vented their frustration on this topic for lack of private channels. I hope this feature is soon released. I appreciate the workaround of Group Chats. We would not have moved to teams if we did not know if private communication was not possible between team members who are on a security channel or admin channel etc. whose information for obvious reasons can't be shared with others.

• Mat Houchens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What an oversight to not have this capability already. How has an ETA not been given yet?

Our organization needs private communication and discretion, even among our employees. Having a unique set of members for each channel is needed. Not just a new team for each conversation thread. Look to slack for inspiration.

• ColmC.ie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone who is waiting on "private channels" and their requirement is to have private conversation/communication and file sharing within a closed group. If you haven't yet tried Group chats then I suggest that you do . https://support.office.com/en-us/article/name-a-group-chat-in-teams-c2172f07-9c05-4591-b344-1b86238fea4d

1) click "chat" on the left hand nav
        2) click "new chat"
        3) click the down arrow to the right of "start typing a name or group"
        4) place cursor beside "group name"
        5) type group name
        6) in the To: box start typing the participants.
        7) Start having your conversations and sharing your files....

this provides a named , group chat. With private communication between the participants (ok it's NOT multiple threaded conversations - but quoting a post in your reply can handle this), the file sharing is courtesy of OneDrive.

This solution/workaround may NOT meet everyone's requirements but if it is of help to someone in the community then great.

In relation to comments on the survey - The same survey was linked from a number of different user voice pages relating to channels and not just the "support for private channels one". Other people HAVE asked for the ability to move content from channel to channel for example. e.g. if you have all you conversations in "general" and want to re-organise the conversations (and content) into other channels. It is easy to move the content in the GUI(SP) but not so to move the conversations. This is just for context of people who are getting upset about the MS releasing a survey on THIS page which doesn't exclusively focus on the "support for Private channels" topic.

I'd like to add that for my organization (and many others), this isn't simply a matter of convenience. It's a dealbreaker that will force us to another solution, because we have a security requirement to segregate sensitive content. I need ALL users to have access to about 80% of the material that is shared, but I can only allow a subset of those users to access the other 20%. It has nothing to do with whether the content is interesting or relevant. They're just plain not allowed to see it, and they shouldn't be part of any conversations around that content.

The workaround is to maintain at least two if not three separate teams for each collaboration effort. This simply doesn't scale once you get beyond the first handful of projects. I am looking at a use case that is repeated 25+ times per year, usually with a unique group of participants.

Right now it's much easier for me to just use Slack for conversations and manage the content separately on SharePoint as if we were stuck in 2007.

Are there any plans as part of this requested updated to be able to link private channels to a subsite (instead of the site collection or a library/list)?

• LozzieD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please could you point us to the entry in the Office 365 roadmap for this, so we can monitor progress? ...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Teams%2CIn%20Development%2CRolling%20Out

Couldn't find anything about it in there, in spite of it being "worked on fervently".

And the dedicated page on this is in chocolate teapot usefulness territory ...

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-private-channel-in-teams-60ef929a-4d68-418b-bf4f-5784db184ec9

Define: fervently
        very enthusiastically or passionately.

Hrm, sure, you may have enthusiasm and passion. Perhaps you need to work on it efficiently.
        "in a way that achieves maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense."

At the moment, I am sure there is lots of passionate ping pong matches and latte sipping taking place, yet minimal productivity (as evidenced by the two-year old request).

• Larry Ralph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why this feature request is open for over 2 years and generates over 60 pages of feedback from frustrated users, - did I miss some unsolvable complexity? MSFT - did you have a peek at Slack ? - they figured it out a long time ago, and it works really well.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 60 61

Feedback and Knowledge Base