How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

12,324 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

967 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the one feature we are waiting for so we can move off slack. Not to pressure you or anything; my window here is closing for the FY.

one of my colleagues asked me today if this feature had been announced at ignite 2018. I note that it hasn't been announced as yet (Day 2). A commenter below advised

" am looking for this same solution as well. I have a team that all does the same work under my supervision, but each team member cannot have access to some key files of their colleagues. Each project/colleague has a channel and we need them each to be private.
        I would love to be kept UTD on the progress of this as well."

It IS currently possible to keep these files private by managing permissions on the SharePoint side. If conversations between the manager and the individual need to be kept private then use chat for this. Another option is to use OneDrive, either the managers or the employee's to keep the files private.

Need to be able to restrict channels to specific members of a team. Hope it's coming soon.

I heard this feature is comming in 2020, that means late 2020. Use slack in the meantime...

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels are, I assume, just like group chats with the added benefit that you can add tabs and have threaded conversations. Just like existing channels.

So when private channels are delivered (as it seems they soon will be) what happens to group chats because I suspect there is huge overlap with private channels?

There is still one distinctive feature of group chats that I really like - that is the fact that they're not attached to any Team. I don't have to be in any team to have a group chat and for that reason group chats are used far more than channels in our organisation. I worry that when we have group chats AND private channels there will be confusion about which one should use.

• Graeme Fowler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked @skprufo on Twitter when she returned from maternity leave and got the following response:

"I have info -- the question is if I'm allowed to share it! Let me do some convincing. Wish me luck! :-)"

So something is in the works, for sure...

We'd also like this where only certain users can post into the channel, while other users are read-only.

• Brian Hackerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature! Will help reduce sprawl of Teams sites in a large organization, which is hard to manage for every person.

I need channels with permission very urgently, I hope for a quick implementation

• Brandon Bezaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm guessing this feature got sent to the bottom of the list once the merger with Skype for Business was announced.

I am looking for this same solution as well. I have a team that all does the same work under my supervision, but each team member cannot have access to some key files of their colleagues. Each project/colleague has a channel and we need them each to be private.
        I would love to be kept UTD on the progress of this as well.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 48 49

Feedback and Knowledge Base