How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

3,393 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  SuphatraAdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hiya again folks.

I just wanted to write and let you know that I updated the idea to better reflect the vibrant discussion in the community about exactly what a private channel means. It looks like there are five definitions — shout out to user John Black who wrote it out so elegantly. I’ve included that description in the original idea.

We still have this item under review, and I’m personally interested in seeing if this request is further changed when we release guest access (coming super soon!) this summer. Stay tuned, stay cool, and as always, thanks for your support of Teams.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

351 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While being able to create Private and Public Teams is very good, Private Channels is almost something that is required. In our organization, in the short time we have been using Teams, I have come across times where having Private Channels is very important. I have one Team in particular where some of the information is sensitive in nature and should not be viewed by all Team members. In the absence of Private Channels (where the more sensitive information can be located) I am not able to add Teams members that need access to the other data in the Team.

Private Channels will be a very welcomed feature.

A private channel should contain permissions for anyone that requires access, regardless of Team affiliation.

Please give all of us a response on the verdict of the private channels so we can make our decision to implement Teams or not.

• MatthewMatthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please create the private channel option.

The public / private team feature is nice, but it doesn't solve this need and it reducing our team's uptake of Microsoft Teams due to this missing obvious and highly used & useful feature.

• anthonyanthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt Wright's request is exactly what the community wants. Here's an example as it seems there's a lot lost in translation based on the amounts of comments and official description.
        Channels should be customizable to be only viewable by certain members (members which are part of the team).

Team A - Includes John, Jeff, Jennifer, Jessica, and Admin
        Channel 1 - Is seen by all members
        Channel 2 (Private) - Is only seen by Jeff and Jennifer and Admin
        Channel 3 (Private) - Is only seen by Jessica and Jeff and Admin

Hopefully this helps. :)

• David ConradieDavid Conradie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second Matt Wright's comment from 8th July - he's phrased it perfectly so I will quote him: "We definitely would like to have private channels as well. We're a large organization and private channels would help us reduce the proliferation of teams, which will make the overall deployment simpler and easier to use (allowing teams to more closely correspond to our organizational structure)."

• Clint HirschiClint Hirschi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the privacy levels are getting a bit too complex.
        If you simply have a Secret option, then anyone can get an invite to those channels and normal channels can be access by anyone on the team.
        The other options would be nice, but not a necessity.

• Jenny AJenny A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sorry, but in the 5 privacy levels you describe, you are completely missing the TEAM.
        we need the team back.
        Replace Public by Company, and company by team. and then it would become acceptable.

• Arden ShackelfordArden Shackelford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the "Secret" option is close to what we're looking for. At least for my purposes, I'd want to have a "secret" channel that's within a Team.

• Matt WrightMatt Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The description as it currently exists doesn't seem to describe what most people actually want. The 5 types of public/private description seems to be more geared towards the team itself whereas what everyone here wants is private CHANNELS within a team.

We definitely would like to have private channels as well. We're a large organization and private channels would help us reduce the proliferation of teams, which will make the overall deployment simpler and easier to use (allowing teams to more closely correspond to our organizational structure).

• Vinny TroiaVinny Troia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra - with the status of "Under review", what is a realistic timeline? Is this quarter possible? I don't know how fast your dev cycles are.

• Vinny TroiaVinny Troia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John Black's approach is very similar to what we do currently.

We take a slightly broader approach, which is to say we have an overarching team for "Clients" and one for "Business Operations", maybe another for "Marketing", "Sales", etc. then have projects within those main categories.

Right now i really don't like how onenote connectivity creates a separate notebook for each team. It would be nice to have all "client" notebooks in one group, hence, the teams. There will be redundancies between projects, which is why i don't mind have each team fall into a larger subset, as long as permissions for each "channel" can be defined. It might look something like this:

Team: Client Delivery
        Channel 1: Client 1
        Channel 2: Client 2
        Channel 3: Client 3

People with access to this team should only have access to their specific channel.
        I am in a very sensitive line of work, and everyone can not (and should not) have access to everything.

Suphatra
        This feature must be in the roadmap very soon. We have been a slack user but decided to move onto teams because of its interagtion with office. Unfortunately, the lack of private channels in teams is
        making us reconsider going back to slack. We really need to know when this feature is coming.
        Thank you

That is such an important feature and still under review although it is the second "hot idea"...

Guest access will not impact this request. It's talking about subsets of a single Group / Team having access to specific information. e.g. a "Managers" Channel.

Without Private channels a.k.a prevent-permission for the team to delete channels, it is not deployable professionally

• Tiago DiasTiago Dias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As many others have said it, I won't be able to roll out MTeams across my business until the private channels option is available (and let's be honest, development wise it isn't a hard feature to build in). I really like the integration with Planner and others, but until Private Channels are available I'm afraid it will be the case of having 5-6 people using it, rather than over 2,000 people.

• ChadChad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we are getting requests weekly to be able to make channels available to subsets of the members of the team (i.e. privatized to that subset of users rather than all members of the team). Without this ability, users have to make an entirely separate team for each different audience. Sometimes a team wants a channel to only be visible to some members of the team, while still keeping that channel within the context of that team (rather than making a separate team/location). Please implement this.

Functionality for creating private channels within teams. Ability to choose members within those channels.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base