How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

5,208 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone, quick update for you on this feature.

We’ve got lots of resources on this and we’re actively working on it. This is a top priority feature.

I haven’t gotten a firm ETA from the team but I can say this won’t hit in the next month or so. Its a complicated feature, so it will take longer than that. I’ll let you know once I get a general date from them.

Thanks for your feedback, patience, and as always, thank you for your support of Teams.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

Questions? Tweet me at @skprufo.

470 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is not going to be available next month, is there any indication when it will be ready? Are we looking at January, or towards the end of next year?

• Ludfi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree that private channel are the key for Microsoft Teams to rivals Slack. We already start using Teams but a bit annoying since all the private conversation in channel can be viewed by all the people in the same Teams. Please push this feature out ASAP!

• Jussi Sivonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a reason why this feature is not on the Office 365 Roadmap - even tho you're "Working on it"?

• shane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is the one feature keeping my company from using Teams and sticking with Slack.

• Becki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SLACK obviously figured this out ages ago and is a key feature...why is it taking Microsoft so long to figure out private channels?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good if the private nature of the channel can be altered post the creation of the channel. For e.g. one might push out some information on a project to members of a team in a project specific channel but once a proposal has been accepted from a specific group of team members (or perhaps guest member - where the winning proposer is an external company) the channel will become private to a smaller group who are selected to work on the solution. This way one could easily handle requests for proposals - the request is public, any questions asked are answered publicly (to the extent that the team is "public") but once a specific proposal is accepted the channel becomes locked down as those whose proposal was not accepted no longer need to be involved in this specific channel while remaining engaged in the broader team and working through other channels.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are past the 1 year anniversary for the suggestion!

Happy anniversary. See you back here November 2018

This feature will definitely help improve adoption and reduce the number of Teams that are created.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we have a timeline on this. I'm keen to have RBAC in place for the Team site I have created for my function. Seems ludicrous to have all Team members have access to all channels. I believe it should be:

Team = overarching functions. e.g HR

Channel = Sub functional elements (RBAC in place & only Channels you have access to visble) e.g Payroll, Training, Discipline, Standards, Performance.

It also massively puts off new users as they are overwhelmed with the plethora of detail visible to them - whilst also confusing them as to where that are supposed to be working / posting.

We really need is not really permissions channel-wise, but team-wise, as already done with Public and Private teams.

It is still lacking however:

- List of all public groups available to users
        (currently they need to know before hand and type the name of the group)

- Making public teams content open to anyone without needing to join the team

This is the minimum necessary for content discovery, something Atlassian Confluence is great at.

• Philip Noble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential for being able to use teams effectively, we won't be able to start using until in place

As a consultant, this is an important feature for our project teams - we'd like the option of inviting our clients to participate in our Teams, but only if we can restrict them to specific channels. We obviously don't want/need separate Teams for internal and external conversations, that simply muddies the waters.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are testing this for the first time. What a disappointment. The lack of Channels pretty is pretty much a non starter for us. Unless this is available now, we will be dumping 365,

• Skip Leezer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The addition of this feature would be highly beneficial and significantly reduce the number of "teams" needing to be created just to create unique security.

The note says this is a very complicated feature - just tag information in each channel and the secure all information to that tag. That would be a fairly simple way of creating and managing many sets of data within the team and channels. This does not help to define what happens on the back end in SharePoint - but tags are commonly used to control access and security policies in many areas of SharePoint.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base