How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

6,004 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Its been a while since my last update, so wanted to check in and let you know that this is well under way. We’re aiming for early next calendar year (2018) if development and testing go well. I’ll ping you again with a more exact ETA after the new year.

Meanwhile, feel free to ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

533 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Berney Villers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. An update on this would be much appreciated. We need to determine if Teams will be tossed aside for an upcoming project or if the much needed ability to have channel specific permissions will be available soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Assuming this means you could edit Team members from specific channels in a Team then +1

New to Teams but this feature is one of the first things we realised we need. Clearly I'm therefore new to this conversation but seems to be causing frustration.
        Please release the fix / feature / patch asap

I echo the sentiments here, this is a MAJOR flaw in the platform.

For example, when integrating Planner into a channel, every single member of the larger team is notified on comments within the tasks. The "unsubscribe" feature is not an acceptable work-around for VIP's.

Let's get this done guys!

Don't wait for 75 other features to be bundled into one major update, iterate small and fast please !!

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't count on any updates, at least for now, I contacted 2 different people in Microsoft, they say "there are no public commitments". So, unless Suphatra shows up here or replies to the questions she prompted us to ask on Twitter, nobody will answer our question.

Hi,

is there a way to be tester? Or an way to be notified when the feature comes available?

• Priyanka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Suphatra, could you please let us know the exact month its gonna release, can't wait another year.

How is this still not complete?! It's been over a year. This is the single feature stopping us from moving to Teams. I can only assume there is a spy from Slack inside your organisation deliberately undermining this development task.

• Mandeep Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update us on this? and i have another question about planner.
        how we can add the existing planner into teams.
        i have already a plan in my planner and same i want to add into my ms teams?

• Alain Moussa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update please. This is the only thing holding me back from rolling out Teams to the rest of the Org. I can't have users creating separate teams every time they have a project they wanna work on together. I already have to deal with some ghost sites and plans that were created as part of a team and never got used. I don't like unnecessary clutter, especially email addresses showing up in the global address list that belong to groups that people felt like creating for no apparent reason.
        Members of a team need to have private channels to work on the projects that are assigned to them which other members of the same team don't need to be involved in. The solution is not a new team, it's a new private channel within the same team.
        If I wanted to hang a picture, I don't want to carry the whole toolbox into the living room, I just need the hammer and a nail.

• Art commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on ETA?
        It is a such basic feature which really makes Slack much better option for efficient team communication tool.

Any update to this? Could really use one for planning purposes. I also reached out on Twitter.

• W_RD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra, can we have an update on the testing/development of the project?

• Mac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update on the ETA? Coming up on Mid January at a minimum an update, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

• Loic Boyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have an update? It is the one feature right now that is stopping us from rolling out Teams to everyone. Managers have multiple departments under them and multiple sub divisions in those departments. It's unrealistic to have managers deal with 15-20 teams group.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27

Feedback and Knowledge Base