How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

19,284 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1626 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paul Stephenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found something slightly more concrete. There was a post on the microsoft teams blog on March 20th where Aya Tange said that this feature is coming later this year.

• Marko Laakkonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So is the case that we have to change our plans and switch to some other application while the Teams is basically unusable **** in many ways.
    - new conversation/reply takes so much space that with one screen you have only very limited amount of data/text. Not a good comparison but think about IRC clients use of space.
    - User right management is straight from some free app with no reasonable design (no per channel management even promised for a long time)
    - Because of the lousy user management the data storage (foldering) system is unusable
    - No support for XenApp desktops

It seems that the whole app has been designed to look good without any intension to get it to work in enterprise level companies. Might be good for private use.

• Mariel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would this work? Would the list of members be created by the person who creates the private channel? Do they need to be team owners? Will other members be able to request access to a private channel? Will they show in the Channel list to all members or only those who have access to it?
    FYI: I am not impatience, just curious on how would it work!

• Joshua Bohlmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Microsoft keep us in the loop. You're developing this feature since Sep. 2017....

When do we get this feature? Employees ask me that question every week.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature. I think we'd need to select Slack as a tool if we dont have a legitimate timeframe for this.

• Chris Cline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please provide an update to this? We really need this feature to adopt Teams company-wide.

This is a massively important feature for corporat-wide use. Last update from MS on this from Feb. Not very pro-active, given the huge number of votes. An update as when this is going to be released would be highly appreciated. Thx.!

• Alison Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature is stopping us, like many others, from wider adoption of Teams. a useful timebound update would be appreciate.d

• Sue Pflueger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A secret channel is exactly what we need for our company. Do you have an estimated time when this feature will be available?

• Rob Robelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surprised to find last reply was Feb 4th. The idea was shared on Nov 1st 2016, am i getting this wrong? if so, that's crazy!

Update on progress would be great. ETA would be even better.

• Akbar Sathaar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this coming out ?? This is an essential feature that needs to be part of Teams. Need this feature ASAP.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised this wasn't done on implementation. I don't want a bunch of different teams for 1 department but not everyone needs to be in all the same channels.

This is really one of the biggest reasons holding back some people in my organization from adopting teams because instead of having one team and customizable channel permissions, you need to just create more Teams which is more of a hassle/annoyance.

• Chris WB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For perspective, when this was raised; Arya had just killed the Freys, the Great Sept was destroyed and Queen Cersei was crowned.

A meaningful update (not just we're working on it) would be greatly appreciated

Teams getting private channels is sort of becoming a meme at this point. I am extremely skeptical of if this is going to actually come to fruition or not.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 81 82

Feedback and Knowledge Base