How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

15,002 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1287 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is nuts. I’m sitting on a big pile of money waiting to give it to MS for O365, but without knowing this is coming VERY soon, we’re probably going to decide to stay with GSuite and Slack.

I guess a big pile of money to us is mere pennies to Microsoft...

• Flo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we are "fervently" waiting on this feature, for 2 years, please bring it!

• John K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company has just started using MSTeams recently and this was the first snag we hit. We have private Teams, but within those teams we need to setup private channels as we have security issues we need to take into consideration.

• M J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that it is already implemented in Beta version, but when we can expect private channels in productions.
        Will it be only private channels or several different options of channels?

• Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to hear that is getting worked on, it will open many doors for more colaborations cross functional without inviting the members to the "whole" team. looking forward to an update.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried to answer the survey and saw that it's closed - I'm guessing that means you received enough feedback, which is great! Can you please post an update on possible ship dates etc?

Will MSFT let this feedback get to 15,000 votes before adding it to their roadmap?

This feature is the one thing holding us back from switching to MS Teams right now.

• John Pritchard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assume the Company-Invitation allows those who are NOT on the TEAM but you want to invite them to a CHANNEL, but will not be allowed to see other channels of that team. I will be adding my vote to this feature!

• Dean McGrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still nothing on restricting users to particular channels within a team or archiving channels... it is like MS want us to go with third parties like Slack...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 64 65

Feedback and Knowledge Base