Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Delete Private Chat threads

This request is for the ability to completely delete a private chat thread. (Not hide/archive.)

Again, this was pulled out into its own topic because it is still under review and no decision has been made.

To recap what has already been completed from the other topic:

1. Delete your own messages anywhere in Teams.
    2. Team Owners can choose if users can edit/delete in their tenant as well as choose if admins have the power to delete any message posted in public channels.
    3. The ability to hide your private chat threads (these are not the chat threads in…

1,885 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

260 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Suphatra responded

Hey everyone! We have this already. Just click the ellipses next to the thread name and select “Hide”.

Note that we cannot provide a “hard delete” due to eDiscovery and other legal reasons.

Thanks,
    Suphatra

2. Would like the ability to create a reminder or task from a message

In Slack there is an ability to click message options and set a reminder to take action on that message at some later date, e.g., remind me about this tomorrow or in 1 hour, etc. I think they use their "slackbot /" commands to create this reminder. In Teams, it would be nice to have this ability or to create a task to take action on a message at some later time. Thanks!

660 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I really like the suggestion of creating an alarm on a message, so you come back to it. I’ve passed this on to our engineering team.

Meanwhile, here’s another feature you can utilize for the same purpose — use our “bookmark” button, which is in the upper right corner of every message. This will save that message or thread directly to your profile. To access your saved messages, just click your face in the upper left corner of the product. You’ll see a tab in the left rail that says “Saved.” This is like a list of little reminders.

Hope that helps! :-)

Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

3. Wiki - better text editor

wiki extension should be have more effective editor tools, as text alignment, table, ecc.... Just now is very poor editor

301 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Wiki  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Mark responded

Wiki now supports text markdown and styling from the toolbar! We are continually improving our compose experience in Wiki, look out for new improvements coming soon!

4. Re-using the same Channel Name

After you create a channel, then choose to delete the channel, you can no longer create a NEW channel with the same name. It seems like you have to delete the team and start over.

287 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Warren responded

Updating the status to “Try this instead” and have added the clarification that after 30 days the name is once again available.

The reason for this decision was that Channels can be restored 30 days after being deleted. During this time, we intentionally don’t support creating a channel with the same name. After the 30 days, the name is available.

You can workaround this by restoring a deleted channel, renaming it, and then deleting the channel again. The previous name is then available for use.

This workaround has already been mentioned in the comments and if an immediate reuse of a Channel Name is required, this is the recommended solution.
    -Warren

5. Have a hierarchical Wiki with child wiki pages in channel wiki tab

Can you add a child wiki page in a tab so you can create a hierarchy of wiki pages so it is easily navigated and organised. i.e. more like a navigable website. At the moment you can only add a flat list of wiki pages in a channel Wiki tab. See Confluence by atlassian.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Wiki  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Mark responded

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your feedback! We support adding multiple pages to a single Wiki tab by choosing the “Create a new page” button on the bottom of the Table of Contents pane. This pane can be opened by tapping the menu button on the top-left of the Wiki.

We’re working to make the Table of Contents easily accessible on larger displays so that this option will be just a single tap away!

Thanks,
    Mark

6. Channels visibility

See all channels inside a teams in the left panel under the Team's Name

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently we have Teams defaulted to show you the first (up to five) channels ever created. If you want to add more channels to your left rail view, just click the ellipses next to the channel name and select “Favorite”. When you favorite the channel, it will then be “pinned” to your left rail under that team name.

Try that and let me know if that meets your needs!

Suphatra

7. Take screenshot on desktop app

One should be able to take screenshot and share in conversation thread without leaving Microsoft Teams app.

135 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Whether you are using PC or MAC you can already take a screen shot.

With PC the shortcut for a selected capture area is: SHIFT+WINDOWS_Key+S
    (this will allow you to select an area and capture it as an image to the clipboard.)
    With PC the shortcut for a entire desktop screen capture is the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard.

With MAC the shortcut for a selected capture area is: COMMAND+SHIFT+4
    (this will allow you to select an area and capture it as an image to the clipboard.)
    With MAC the shortcut for an entire desktop screen capture is: COMMAND+CTRL+SHIFT+3

This should meet your needs. If you feel it does not, please provide a summary in the comments as to your use case and why the OS capture tools are insufficient for your needs.

Thank you!
    -Warren

8. SharePoint Wiki Link

We have a Wiki in SharePoint. We don't need a separate wiki in Teams, just let us display our existing wiki pages, which have corresponding teams channels, in the channels themselves.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Wiki  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is recommended that you try adding the other SP pages as tabs within Teams.

If you feel this doesn’t meet your needs, please leave comments summarizing your usage scenario and why it doesn’t work.

Up-votes and all feedback is shared with the feature team on an ongoing basis.

Thank you!
    -Warren

9. Personal workspace along with Teams

I think it would be great to have a personal workspace that lives along side your Teams. This would give you a similar toolkit as a Team with the conversation element pulled out. You would have quick access to your files (OD4B), OneNote, important stuff, etc. via tabs and then could use

I suppose this would just be the merging of the chat and files tab into a space that would also give you the ability to use tabs and connectors.

Might need some workshopping, but I think this could be a powerful way to get people spending a lot…

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Files shared in "chat" should work like Files shared in "Teams"

- Files shared in individual chats should appear under the files tab, both within the conversation and in the blue tab on the side bar.
    - Files shared in individual chats should appear when searched for in the search bar.

Neither of these things happen. It's inconsistent, counterintuitive, and obnoxious. Please implement.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I have had this problem too, and trust me I find it not intuitive either.

I’ve sent this to the Files team and I’m going to find out where this is on the backlog so I can report back to you guys.

Meanwhile, the workaround is that you have to delete the chat message of which you sent the message.

Thanks and tweet me @skprufo if you have any questions!

Suphatra

11. disable team creation

From a safeguarding and child protection point of view, in a school environment, it is not appropriate to allow students or staff to create new teams. Can the ability to disable team creation please be added?

Unfortunately the powershell options to disable teams/O365 groups requires you to have Azure AD Premium, which many peopl including ourselves do not have. The UI option in Azure AD to stop users creating security/O365 groups, even when set to No, does not work.

Students are still able to create Teams, and the fear is that this could be used for bullying purposes. Our senior…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ctrl+Enter for line break, like in Slack and Skype

Use cntrl+enter for a new line (break) within the application (like Slack allows)
    Since if you press cntrl+enter it responds by sending the message since there is an enter in the keystroke

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Teams, the shortcut is Shift+Enter. Try that — it should create a linebreak for you.

Also, you can always just click the little “A” in the compose box (on the lower left side of the compose box) to expand the compose box, and this turns the “Enter” key into a line break.

13. Use Teams to replace Cisco Tele-Presence

We would like to use Teams and decommission our Cisco video conference room equipment. We need to lock video from site A to display to site B and in turn have site B lock on site A.

Today the current video options allow multiple screens at one time and the conference room get reduced to either 50% or 25% depending on the number of participants that join from home or phone. We have two large offices in the US and this request is mainly for our executive team, key influencers and budget approvers.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Meetings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. After update on MAC - notifications are missed

There have been many times where teams has updated while it’s been minimized on my machine, causing me to not see any new messages until the next time I’ve manually re-opened and logged in again.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Describe most common use cases, and best practices

I see that some people are already deep into MS Teams. However before we jump into MS Teams, we want to see some use cases and how to use Sharepoint, MS Office user groups, Skype for Business, and MS Teams in those use cases.
    For instance a use case could be as follows:
    The food processing plant wants to add 3 mixers. The plant manager needs to talk first with the CFO about its cost break even analysis and ROI, with purchasing about possible vendors and mixer costs, with plant people about installation, training and usage, and with the warehouse…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is GREAT feedback. Thank you! We’re working on a blog series and we’ll be sure to include use cases, thanks to your feedback.

Meanwhile, please see this website for adoption and best practices for Teams: www.successwithteams.com

Let me know if you need anything else!

Sincerely,

Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

16. Ability to Change Team Type

When I set up a team, because it's a work team I selected Staff. That gave me the staff notebook and all associated weirdness.

I want to just have my old normal notebook back, but every time I delete all the sections (_Collaboration, _Content Library, section group for every team member) they respawn.

Now I know this, I'm going to have to nuke the current team, and recreate it with the settings for "anyone" rather than "staff" and copy all my stuff across.

Just being able to change the team type would fix all of this.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  IT Pro - Controls and Knobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Less like Chat, more like Threads

People don't really use the reply in Chat very much. So when everyone is creating a new conversation there are a ton of UI elements all over the place making the whole window very cluttered.

I'd suggest adding a Subject Line to the conversation so that there is a quick summary though for the thread.

Then it would be nice to be able to click into that thread so you don't see all of the other chats.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We actually do have a subject line.

If you click the little pencil in your text field, the text field will expand and you can write a title for your message.

18. Windows Insider-like Teams bug reporting

We're having a number of issues with Teams (Connectors apparently not connecting, slow notifications in general, etc etc) which do not seem to fit into this UserVoice forum for future suggestions. I'm hesitant to use the help forum, as Suphatra has noted that it's not actively monitored by the Teams team (!), but I also don't want to actively fill this forum with bug reports.

Is there a best practices for filling out bug reports? The Windows Insider team is doing a good job with this, might there be something similar in here?

For the record, I don't seem to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Kip, it’s Suphatra.

So, right now I’m not outfitted to triage bugs from the general public. Then I’d never see my family, and I’m pretty sure they aren’t down with that. Right now we’re validating and bug triaging only from beta customers and internally, but that will change over time as the product matures.

I have added a category in UserVoice called “Bugs” (I just added it today!). So that people can view and vote on bugs that have happened to them. I’d like to see if we find patterns of bugs.

For now, I hope that helps. You can always email me or ping me on Twitter at @skprufo if a bug has really ruined your day.

Cheers,
    Suphatra

19. Unnecessary "You're missing all the action" e-mails

Since today, we (me and colleagues) receive several e-mails per day telling us "You're missing all the action" whilst we've already read all the messages that were addressed to us. The e-mail looks like we missed some messages and in that case, it would be very useful. Now that we already read all our messages, it feels as very annoying that we still get those. I guess the "read all" is not synced correctly per user...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  v-brorob responded

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for the feedback, have you tried changing your Notifications under settings (you can find this by clicking on your picture in the lower left part of your screen). You can customize the type of notifications you receive from Teams.
    -Brooke

20. Office 365 Homework Tracker!

Hello everyone,

I am a high school English teacher and have been using Office 365 apps for a while now. I am a great believer in the positive impact that ICT tools have on student engagement and effective teaching. Furthermore, I have been promoting the use of ICT in my faculty and with my colleagues, especially with reducing the amount of paper work we accumulate. Consequently, I believe the addition of a new feature will greatly encourage teachers to use Office 365. The new feature that I am proposing is a Homework Tracker for teachers. Homework is a critical part…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,
    Thanks for sharing the information. We currently do have a product Microsoft Teams Assignments which has the similar feature that you described above. Please take a look at these articles (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/microsoft-teams-5aa4431a-8a3c-4aa5-87a6-b6401abea114?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US ) which will help you understand the work flow of the product and implementation. Hope you like the product and join us in the journey to make teachers life easy.

Thanks,
    Sai

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.