Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by me (Suphatra) and I’m a real person, not a robot. I work on the Teams team and sit in engineering, and its my job to represent your voice in the design and development of this product.

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which I check religiously!
5 — PARTICIPATE in user testing (sign up here: https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w)

Thanks everyone for supporting Teams. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Suphatra

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need read receipts

Mobile working, Asynchronous working of teams is a common phenomena. Read receipts let us know if the message has been seen, so we know it can be acted on. Critical when large numbers of the team are mainly mobile workers.

369 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

40 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Mute or leave a group chat

Have a possibility to mute a group chat, so no sound or mobile notification should be received fora user that chooses to mute some group chat. Also let me be able to leave it completely if I want to.

1,056 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

128 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

“Leave a chat” is currently in our Ring 1 for internal testing, so you’ll see it soon once it passes our validation tests.

“Must a chat” is on the backlog, so we haven’t started work on this yet.

Hope you’re enjoying your July!

Suphatra

• Ability to archive channels and chats

Would be nice if we had the ability to archive channels. For example: we created a channel for a specific project. Once the project is complete, we can archive that channel or at least move it out of the primary view. I could see the channel list getting large and clunky quickly with multiple projects many of which are complete.

Also, when a conversation in the channel is complete it should be archived or hidden.

1,300 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

73 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

First, I want to remind you that we have had legal archiving in the product for a long time. That means all messages are retained in a compliance folder automatically for you. For more info on this, read here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Top-Features-of-Microsoft-Teams-amp-Information-Protection-in/ba-p/63046

Secondly, for those seeking an end-user way to archive content (essentially, for non-legal reasons), I am happy to report we are actively working on giving you a way to archive channels. We should have this to you soon.

Lastly, archiving chats is a separate work item that we still have in review, as that is harder to solve for. I will let you know when this work begins.

Thanks and hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Suphatra

• External Access and Federation

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70%…

5,695 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

451 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey guys, I’m rallying to get you more info. In the meantime, here’s the official response from our PR team:

“We are actively working on guest access. Thanks for your patience and stay tuned for more."

I share in your frustration and promise we are dedicated to delivering this feature, and I promise to continue to advocate for you. I appreciate your investment in us and Teams’ success.

If you have any questions, as always — just email or tweet.

-Suphatra

Twitter: skprufo Email: sparavimicrosoft.com

• Tie "Team" environment to "Planner"

Issue:
            Files/Notes/Tasks created in Microsoft Teams are not integrated with Microsoft Planner

Steps to Reproduce:
            Open Teams and then either (1) Create a new Team, or (2) associate an existing Outlook/Sharepoint Group/Plan

Expected:
            When a File, Note, or Task ("Planner") is created in either Teams or Planner, it should be totally integrated and accessible from both programs

Actual:
            Items created in Teams are totally separate and independent of the actual MS Planner(s) located in https://tasks.office.com

Result:
            It is confusing that work created in one space is not visible in the other and vice versa

260 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  24 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 2,929 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

453 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Notification for Planner Tasks

Planner and Teams just needs a notification - when a task has been created for an assigned user that user should receive a notification - currently we are doing a work around by starting a conversation with a mention of a member name
                thanks

479 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  27 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Reduce memory usage and improve slow performance

Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50.

865 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

127 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, I sent over your feedback to the performance team and they let me know they are actively working on this.

“Our development organization is continually working to improve product performance and has several efforts currently underway around memory usage, action responsiveness and application start time. Updates which improve performance are part of our regular update process. Thank you for your feedback regarding the performance of Microsoft Teams.”

I will check in on them in a few weeks to see if we can get exact numbers/details on what’s been improved, and I’ll let you know.

Meanwhile, have a great weekend and don’t forget to set your clocks forward by an hour for Daylight Savings!

Sincerely,
                    Suphatra

Email: sparavi@microsoft.com
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/skprufo

• Notification for connectors

I am not getting any notification when a connector post to a channel. For example a JIRA post to a channel, I would like to get notified by this.

This is checked on Windows 10 Mobile app.

547 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

89 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! Great news — we just checked in the final pieces of code for this feature and will start internal validation testing next week. If it passes quickly, then you’ll see this feature by the end of the month.

Thanks so much for everyone who brought this feature to our attention. Because of you, important stuff like this gets caught and eventually completed. Thanks also for your patience, I know this took a while. :-)

Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
                      Suphawtra

• Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorised personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

629 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • don's switch to "away", just because I'm using a different application (i'm still at work!)

The availability status should indicate whether or not someone is available, which means they are available to chat.

So it does not make sense to switch my status to away, just because I'm answering email or do something else on my computer.

642 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, wanted to give you an update since it’s been a while.

We did resolve this issue, and have this live in our internal rings — we are now starting to move it along our outer rings for more validation testing. It was having some validation issues before, which is why the fix didn’t come out sooner, but it should move much more smoothly now.

I’m anticipating this will be done by the end of the month. I’ll make sure to update you once its complete. Thanks so much for your patience, and for helping us make Teams great!

Sincerely,
                          Suphatra

• Allow drag and drop from Outlook directly to Teams

Dragging and dropping attachments directly from the e-mail window without having to first drag them onto the desktop (for instance) and them from there dragging them to the files tab in Teams would make many lives so much easier.

There are a few suggestions to enable drag and dropping, but it seems that it is already working, at least with the desktop client, but making that work directly from an e-mail window would be very nice.

682 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  29 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

2,172 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

189 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Quick update that we have made incremental changes and you should start to see those white margins becoming much thinner and chat getting more dense in the coming weeks. It will not be the fully dense mode, but it will be moderate changes so not to jar our full user base. These changes are being implemented across the board, so this is NOT a compact chat mode that is an optional setting, but permanent changes to the UI to increase density.

I’m keeping this item on the “working on it” status because we are going to continue making the product more dense overall. We’ll continue to update you as we make progress.

Big and special thanks to the hundreds of you who participated in the user research. It gave us really great information to make these permanent changes. THANK YOU!

Sincerely,
                              Suphatra

• Enable screen sharing without video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

1,176 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

127 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone — good news and bad news. Good news is that I have an update from Engineering. Bad news is that they just let me know this has hit some road blocks and we won’t be hitting July’s target date. This is now expected to be delivered in September.

I am sorry for the delay and will update you as this gets nearer to completion! Feel free to ping me if you want to be a beta tester for this feature!

Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying their summer,
                                Suphatra

• Make planner available in the mobile app

Please make it possible to access assigned taks in the mobile app

431 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Wanted to give you guys an update on this since I know its been a while.

So, for those of you who want to see your Planner plans in your Teams mobile app, that work is still a ways out, due to our current focus on performance/memory and quality, and other dependencies that have pushed this down the roadmap.

However, in the meanwhile, the Planner team is working to make this happen: when you try to access the plans you created in Teams, in your mobile app, your phone will route you to your Planner mobile app. This is being worked on now and will light up in a few weeks.

We also made a slew of mobile improvements, of which you can read all the details in today’s Teams blog post:
                                  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/New-collaboration-features-in-Microsoft-Teams-mobile-apps/ba-p/89019

Thanks for your patience and I’ll let you know when the workaround goes live, and as the…

• Ability to see who is in a channel

Ability to see who is currently in a channel. Hipchat and Slack have this feature

2,045 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

145 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow use of existing OneNotes/documents for channels

My team has a pre-existing OneNote. It would be really helpful to be able to create a tab that uses this, rather than being forced to start with a blank notebook.

1,759 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It brings me double-rainbow level happiness to give you an update on this item.

I know I’ve been mum about it, because I work on the Teams team and this feature request is dependent on the OneNote team, which is a building of purple-caped productivity superheroes in another part of campus. But I’ve gone to the promise land and I have good news to share:

Coding has started on this item. I can’t tell you when it’s going to be done, but I can assure you ITS COMING!

And you know why?

Because of your support, enthusiasm, and love of not just Microsoft Teams, but OneNote and Microsoft as your source of ultimate productivity. Thanks for believing in both of these products, using them like champs, and pushing us to make them both better. Me and @LauraCatPJs thank you.

Sincerely,
                                      Suphatra

• Let us delete chat threads!

Teams is way to cluttered when you have several chats. It is difficult to see new messages when they come in. I like a very clean and simple tool and if you could manage options that let you delete threads and also that would let you choose to clear all activity and history upon closing the App that would be great. As it is I have a bunch on inactive threads that are always in the activity list and they are old and not active any longer. Other than this I really like the UI and the functions of the…

746 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

108 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

THESE ARE DONE

1. Delete your own messages anywhere in Teams.

2. Now Team Owners can choose if users can edit/delete in their tenant as well as choose if admins have the power to delete any message posted in public channels.

THIS IS COMING:

Delete private chat threads: If you want to be able to delete an entire private chat thread, please know we are still working on this one and it will take longer than the above features.

• MacOS shortcuts and keyboard interactions

Please make MacOS default interactions (keyboard shortcuts/nav, menus, prefs, notifications). Other Office 365 apps are more native than this.

--

Request that text navigation shortcuts follow the system standard:
                                        cmd+left arrow – jumps cursor to beginning of text
                                        cmd+right arrow – jumps cursor to end of text
                                        option + left arrow – jumps cursor left one word
                                        option + right arrow – jumps cursor right one word

---

One of the issues with this is that the native notifications from other apps cover up the Team ones when both are active. If it was a native app, these notifications would…

546 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  64 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Video and Screensharing Bug

When initiating a video call, I receive an error message which states video and screensharing will not work for me and that I should check my video drivers. I have the latest version of Microsoft Teams (v1.0.00.15151, 64-bit) and my webcam works for other video call and screensharing services, so I'm confident my video drivers are up-to-date. Some users I work with do not have this same problem, but I am aware that others are experiencing the same issue I am. I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E6540 laptop.

144 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi again everyone, thanks for your patience on this bug.

We’ve identified the issue — Chromium Renderer and the latest build of Electron are affecting this issue — and we are working to put a fix in place by end of the month (August). I’ll let you know if that date slips, but so far its looking much better than it did a month ago when we were assessing the problem.

Let me know if you have any questions and thank you again for your patience and support of Teams!

Suphatra

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base