Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by me (Suphatra) and I’m a real person, not a robot. I work on the Teams team and sit in engineering, and its my job to represent your voice in the design and development of this product.

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which I check religiously!
5 — PARTICIPATE in user testing (sign up here: https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w)

Thanks everyone for supporting Teams. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Suphatra

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70%…

6,382 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

630 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments in this thread, tweets, emails and calls. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions at all; I’m here for YOU! I’ll continue to update this ticket as we make progress towards MSA.

Just in case you missed it, there is a FAQs in the Guest Access Help Article. Just click the “FAQs” tab here: https://aka.ms/GuestAccessHelp We’re updating them this week with new questions we’ve been getting, like “Is Guest Access available for Business Essentials licenses?” (The answer is yes.)

Lastly, the team is starting work on Federation so I’ve broken out Federation into its own UserVoice ticket. Please vote and subscribe to updates on its progress here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/20566714

Warmly,
      Suphatra

• Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
      - Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
      - Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
      - Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org,…

4,675 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

443 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, quick update for you on this feature.

We’ve got lots of resources on this and we’re actively working on it. This is a top priority feature.

I haven’t gotten a firm ETA from the team but I can say this won’t hit in the next month or so. Its a complicated feature, so it will take longer than that. I’ll let you know once I get a general date from them.

Thanks for your feedback, patience, and as always, thank you for your support of Teams.

Sincerely,
        Suphatra

Questions? Tweet me at @skprufo.

• 3,348 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

470 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Complete Skype for Business Integration into Teams

Honestly, this is a tall order due to the fact that Teams was not launched this way in the first place, but my real world experience, and feedback from the field, is that having Skype-for-Business-like functions in Teams (chat/Presence/etc) be separate from Skype for Business itself is not only confusing for many users, but inhibits adoption. Users want to consolidate the number of apps they use, not increase it. I personally find this to be true.

Teams is an incredible tool with so much potential, but living and breathing in Skype for Business, like so many of us do, Teams…

2,879 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

111 comments  ·  Video and Phone Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

2,627 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

244 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

I’m Gino and I’m the Product Manager that’s been hard at work to bring you a more compact chat design. First, I really want to thank you for your patience while we worked on this request. We spent months testing designs with users, reiterating concepts, and reading through your feedback, to make sure we could meet as many of your common needs as we could.

Secondly, I’m really happy to announce the changes that will be rolling out soon. We’ve made product-wide improvements to the UI that give you greater overall density. Here are some things you’ll see:
              - Left rail more condensed vertically
              - Gutters reduced
              - Line heights reduced
              - Emojis will be smaller
              - Links for inline attachments

Please note that these changes will first ship on desktop, then later mobile. I’ll keep checking this forum to read your feedback as you experience the new…

• Ability to see who is in a channel

Ability to see who is currently in a channel. Hipchat and Slack have this feature

2,358 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

153 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow use of existing OneNotes/documents for channels

My team has a pre-existing OneNote. It would be really helpful to be able to create a tab that uses this, rather than being forced to start with a blank notebook.

2,056 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

96 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Code snippets

I would like code snippets with highlighting based on code language. And for snippets longer than X lines, a "show more" button (like slack)

1,898 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

93 comments  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, sorry for the long gap between updates. We’ve been diligently working on this feature, but its taken some time due to performance issues. We want to create this feature in a way that the additional libraries required to do the syntax highlighting don’t impact things like the channel switching and page load times.

Here are some things you’ll be able to do with this feature:
                    1. While authoring there you’ll have a dedicated code editor window which provides syntax highlighting, line numbering, etc.
                    2. You can also choose to add a heading to the snippet before inserting.
                    3. You can add snippets as cards into the message and can be expanded inline by the reader. The reader will see all the appropriate syntax highlighting as part of the card.

We’re excited to roll this out for you — thank you for your continued patience!

Sincerely,
                    Suphatra

• Ability to archive channels and chats

Would be nice if we had the ability to archive channels. For example: we created a channel for a specific project. Once the project is complete, we can archive that channel or at least move it out of the primary view. I could see the channel list getting large and clunky quickly with multiple projects many of which are complete.

Also, when a conversation in the channel is complete it should be archived or hidden.

1,703 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that we finished the planning and have started the coding for “restoring deleted channels”. We had to put this work on hold temporarily in order to prioritize some other things (such as Guest Access) so that’s why its been a while since my last update.

For the other feature requested on this ticket — “archiving channels and chats” — this requires a much larger cross-Microsoft collaboration that is also dependent on the Groups team. We’re working with them to figure out how we can make this feature happen across the two products for you.

Thanks for your patience, and for your feedback. We really appreciate you!

Sincerely,
                      Suphatra

• Enable screen sharing without video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

1,663 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

167 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, I know we are overdue for the next update. I’m hounding our Meetings team trying to get a new ETA for you. I’ll ping you immediately once I get it!

Thanks for your patience, and your support. Tweet me if you have any questions: @skprufo.

Sincerely,
                        Suphatra

• Hide the reply button under every message

The "reply" button is WAY too large under each message. I recommend either making the button just a smaller icon and off to the side of a message, or only showing it on hover.

1,375 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

110 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We got a flood of feedback in research not to eliminate this button completely, but to minimize it. So you’ll see a design change soon that makes the Reply button a little bit less conspicuous.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Suphatra

• Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it…

1,251 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

186 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone — just a heads up that I edited the description to include some of the most poignant comments from this thread. If you have any other info you can share about performance and speed, please keep adding them to the thread here. I’ll routing each to the Perf team, since that really helps for emphasizing urgency, demand, and user pain.

THANK YOU for helping us make Teams better!

Sincerely,
                            Suphatra

• slash commands are a must-have

Slash commands for just about every type of function are a must have. They are familiar and easy to use without having to touch your mouse, they are UI-agnostic. Admittedly not terribly discoverable – but the UI is even worse, as their is no real option for auto-completion of UI elements, now is there?

1,115 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Its been a while since the last update, so I wanted to send a quick message to reassure you this is still in progress. Its a complicated feature to ship, as you can imagine how many commands we have to create, so thus it takes some time.

We’re hoping to have it this fall (and that timeline is looking good).

Thanks and I’ll let you know as we get closer to ship!

Sincerely,
                              Suphatra

• Let us delete chat threads!

Teams is way to cluttered when you have several chats. It is difficult to see new messages when they come in. I like a very clean and simple tool and if you could manage options that let you delete threads and also that would let you choose to clear all activity and history upon closing the App that would be great. As it is I have a bunch on inactive threads that are always in the activity list and they are old and not active any longer. Other than this I really like the UI and the functions of the…

971 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

139 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone, just wanted to check in and let you know that this (the feature to delete a chat thread) is almost out of Design. I’ll let you know once it goes into Engineering. Not too much longer now!

Thanks for your support, and hope everyone is having a nice week.

Sincerely,
                                Suphatra

• Recording of video meetings

What about if video meetings could be recorded for later view, and what about if with speech to text technology we can have meeting notes of what we talked in the meeting.

870 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Video and Phone Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add quiet hours to notifications

I like having notifications on my mobile device, but would like the option to silence notifications for after hours and weekends. Potentially, selectively per channel/team.

838 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • don's switch to "away", just because I'm using a different application (i'm still at work!)

The availability status should indicate whether or not someone is available, which means they are available to chat.

So it does not make sense to switch my status to away, just because I'm answering email or do something else on my computer.

818 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, wanted to give you an update since it’s been a while.

We did resolve this issue, and have this live in our internal rings — we are now starting to move it along our outer rings for more validation testing. It was having some validation issues before, which is why the fix didn’t come out sooner, but it should move much more smoothly now.

I’m anticipating this will be done by the end of the month. I’ll make sure to update you once its complete. Thanks so much for your patience, and for helping us make Teams great!

Sincerely,
                                      Suphatra

• Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorised personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

798 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • up arrow to edit last message

pressing the up arrow when the custor is in the compose box, it will edit the user's last message.

665 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your patience on this. We had to switch our resources on this to handle some high priority work around quality and performance, so we lost some time mid-stream on this item.

However, we’re back in action and we anticipate dogfooding this item internally next week and getting it out shortly after. So, I’m crossing my fingers for end of summer. I’ll update you as soon as I know more!

Thanks,
                                          Suphatra

• Notification for Planner Tasks

Planner and Teams just needs a notification - when a task has been created for an assigned user that user should receive a notification - currently we are doing a work around by starting a conversation with a mention of a member name
                                          thanks

594 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  34 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base