Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by me (Suphatra) and I’m a real person, not a robot. I work on the Teams team and sit in engineering, and its my job to represent your voice in the design and development of this product.

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which I check religiously!
5 — PARTICIPATE in user testing (sign up here: https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w)

Thanks everyone for supporting Teams. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Suphatra

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
    - Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
    - Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
    - Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org,…

3,093 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

330 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hiya again folks.

I just wanted to write and let you know that I updated the idea to better reflect the vibrant discussion in the community about exactly what a private channel means. It looks like there are five definitions — shout out to user John Black who wrote it out so elegantly. I’ve included that description in the original idea.

We still have this item under review, and I’m personally interested in seeing if this request is further changed when we release guest access (coming super soon!) this summer. Stay tuned, stay cool, and as always, thanks for your support of Teams.

Sincerely,
      Suphatra

• Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

1,334 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

220 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • New Notifications email message

Currently when we receive an email notification it just says this person sent a message but it would be nice if you could see what the message is when you are offline.

Thanks,
        Mike

23 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • More status options, custom status, and Out of Office

MORE STATUS
          I like the status options in S4B, and so does my boss. It will be important to my boss before accepting the use of MS Teams widely to have a broader range of statuses. Missing statuses are:
          * In a meeting
          * In a conference call
          * In a call
          * Presenting
          * Be right back
          * Off Work

Particularly of importance are "Be right back" and "off work". "Do not disturb" is probably sufficient for "in a meeting", "in a call" and "presenting". But, it sure is nice that S4B auto-detects those three statuses (for the most…

249 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  42 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Recurring Meetings

During certain projects it would be very useful to be able te schedule recurring events in certain teams.

156 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Complete Skype for Business Integration into Teams

Honestly, this is a tall order due to the fact that Teams was not launched this way in the first place, but my real world experience, and feedback from the field, is that having Skype-for-Business-like functions in Teams (chat/Presence/etc) be separate from Skype for Business itself is not only confusing for many users, but inhibits adoption. Users want to consolidate the number of apps they use, not increase it. I personally find this to be true.

Teams is an incredible tool with so much potential, but living and breathing in Skype for Business, like so many of us do, Teams…

2,120 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Video and Phone Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Recreate deleted channel

Deleted channels cannot be recreated. They are visible in ShaerPoint, but cannot be recreated or restored in Teams.

265 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Edited!!

NOTE THIS IS FOR TEAMS, NOT CHANNELS. I’ll let the team know you’re asking for channels specifically.

If you’ve deleted an Office 365 group it’s retained, by default, for a period of 30 days. The group, which we refer to as “soft-deleted” during that period, can be restored by using PowerShell.

You can also permanently delete a soft-deleted group if you can’t wait the 30 days for the retention period to expire for the content to be permanently deleted.

IMPORTANT: If you use Remove-MsolGroup in PowerShell to delete a group, this will purge the group permanently.

When deleting groups in PowerShell it’s best practice to use Remove-AzureADMSGroup to soft-delete the O365 group.

Instructions here:
                  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Restore-a-deleted-Office-365-Group-b7c66b59-657a-4e1a-8aa0-8163b1f4eb54?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• Skype integration

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

115 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Video and Phone Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, it looks like this got put as “declined” — I actually have a best practice on my team to NEVER put anything as declined (you’ll see some older tickets have that, that was before my time, folks). So I’m sorry this got slipped through — its not a decline, for the very reason that Mark points out below.

Also special thanks to Andreas for seeing the activity on this closed item and bringing it to my attention.

And thank you to all of YOU for helping us makes Teams better!

Sincerely,
                    Suphatra

• Custom Group Categories for Teams

As I create more and more teams, I need to be able to group or categorize them. It seems like the only native groupings are "favorites" or "more". I would like to be able to create other categories. Once I get over 30 teams, grouping them into detailed categories is going to be imperative to stay organized.

54 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Include Office 365 group calendar in teams

It would be good to be able to click on a calendar button on the left hand side to get a view of the Office 365 groups calendar as you would in the calendar app. Good for being able to look and get a glimpse of what is coming up with the group. At the moment I have to go back to the calendar to look at it.

2,111 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

109 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

So it turns out there are some several external dependencies that are hindering our plans for this feature. We are pulling it back into review so we can determine feasibility. Here’s to hoping we find a way to bring this to you — right now its very difficult. We are not taking this off the table though; we know this is an important feature, so we’re tracking the external dependencies to see where they land.

Thanks,
                        Suphatra

• Access to email from left tab panel

If there was an Outlook tab integrated on the left, similar to the Meetings tab (which is effectively the Outlook calendar), one could stay in Teams all day and not have to switch out.

907 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

184 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Embed Media

If you paste a link it should embed the media right in the chat (Gif, mp4, youtube, Vimeo, Soundcloud etc.)

78 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Teams Intro Video

There is no way to exit the Intro Video. I had to close the Tab. Add a close button.

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Video and Phone Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make "Teams" and "Chat" the same Tab

There is no reason that Teams and Chat should be different top level categories in the left navigation. They are the same thing, perform exactly the same function, and making two different items simply confuses the navigation and makes badge notifications and discoverability much more difficult to use.

Please combine Chats into the Teams tab so that you can browse all conversations in one place rather than needing to navigate to different tabs to see different conversations.

Chats and channels perform essentially the same function, which is talk to some people and collaborate. Forcing the user to check two different…

634 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this feedback!

You’re right, Sam: the only difference between these two tabs are their privacy settings. They have the same function: chatting.

While we may not implement the solution above, we hear the feedback loud and clear and are reviewing the problem.

Thank you for your feedback and please continue to help us make Teams great!

Sincerely,
                                Suphatra
                                Microsoft Teams

Email: sparavi@microsoft.com
                                Twitter: @skprufo

• Protect the "Start a new conversation" field with a click

With the "Start a new conversation" field at the bottom of the screen, it makes it easy for inexperienced users to begin new conversations instead of contribute to an existing thread.

For chat systems that don't allow threaded conversations, a text field at the bottom is the proper way to chat, but in Teams, this is the way to split conversations into unfollowable tangents.

So please make it so that a user needs to click a button before they can "Start a new conversation", so that it isn't done by accident.

126 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  15 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Display 'user is typing' indication also in Teams area

While there's an indication of the user that's actively typing in the Chat area, I'd like to have this in the Teams area as well

427 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! Many of you had emailed me when we rolled out “show user actively typing” in the chat area, that you’d like this in the channels area too. I’ve merged the tickets together to help you build support for this idea, and I’ve also sent it into engineering for a review.

Keep submitting your thoughts on this item and encouraging others to vote. Its a great idea.

Suphatra
                                    Microsoft Teams

• Persistent notification

I'm using Mac and one annoying thing is that I'm not getting notified of new messages in team channels (whether I'm mentioned or not) because I missed the banner in the top right of the screen, either from being away from my desk or focusing on my second screen. The red icon is added to the actual application icon in the dock menu when I get a direct chat but there should be something here to indicate that team chats have new messages

250 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this feedback. I’ve spoken to many people who report the same scenario on iOS. So sorry you are experiencing this! We are looking into it and please let me know if anything else happens on this particular issue for any of you. You can email me back on this address or just tweet to me at @skprufo.

Thank you for helping us make Teams awesome!

Sincerely,
                                      Suphatra

Email: sparavi@microsoft.com
                                      Twitter: @skprufo

• 231 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Please enable share control in video meeting

We used to be able to share control in video meeting so we can do remote support.

Please include this feature in the future releases.

Thanks,
                                        Jason

578 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  28 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Make it possible to remove and/or rename the default tabs (files & notes)

It would be really great if we would be able to remove / rename the default tabs. A lot of times files / notes are too generic names for the tabs, so renaming would be really helpful then. :-)

127 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base