Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Angela Sze responded

Thanks for your feedback! Can you please provide more information? We currently support creating teams from a private O365 group in the “Create team” dialog as long as you’re an admin, so if this isn’t working for you, would love to get more details so we can troubleshoot. Thanks!

2. Add Location Function

Please integrate a share location function. This is the only setting which is missing. Nice App. Thumb UP

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Forward an email to a channel

A useful feature for an intact Team that is just starting to use Microsoft Teams would be the ability to forward an existing email to a channel.

378 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Suphatra responded

Hi everyone, we’ve added the ability to create an email address for a channel. You can see more details here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Can-I-Email-to-a-Team-channel/m-p/51774/highlight/false#M2784

Some of you have reached out to let me know that this doesn’t address your other needs around being able to send emails into and out of Teams. Please email me at sparavi@microsoft.com, because I’m collating all your feedback and will submit a follow up request to this item to the team.

Thanks everyone, and thank you for making Teams better and better with your great feedback and participation.

Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

4. Allow use of existing OneNotes/documents for channels

My team has a pre-existing OneNote. It would be really helpful to be able to create a tab that uses this, rather than being forced to start with a blank notebook.

2,374 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

118 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded

Great news!
    Starting today, there’s an updated OneNote option in the Tab Gallery that allows you to create a new notebook for your tab, point to an existing notebook, or link to a particular OneNote section or page.

This update is not yet available for EDU customers, but we’ll continue to update this new OneNote experience to make it easier to bring your important content into Teams!

The release notes can be found at: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Release-notes-for-Microsoft-Teams-d7092a6d-c896-424c-b362-a472d5f105de

5. Configure app start up behavior

It would be great if I can decide how the app starts up, like start up at boot but minimized, start up at boot maximized, do not start up at boot, etc..

462 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

121 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Switching status to “completed” from “We have this”.

Hi everyone,

We do have this feature!
    In order to have the Teams application start in the background you will need to set these two items.

Under Settings, within Teams, you need to select both of these options:
    1) Auto-start application
    2) Open application in background

If those two are selected, upon restart of the OS when you first login in, the Team app should start in the background and only appear in hidden application bar and not on the main Taskbar.

Please NOTE: If you exit the Teams application, then click the Teams’ icon to launch the app, it will now load in the foreground. The background start up is only when you first log into the OS and the application automatically launches in the background.

-Warren

6. Drag and Drop attachments

It really slows us down to have to click Attachment and browse the finder to find an image. Would prefer drag and drop.

1,781 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This item is still completed, HOWEVER many of you have reported a new issue: drag/drop does not work when you are taking a file directly from email (i.e. Outlook) and trying to drop it into Teams. I experience the same problem every day, too!

If you’d like this function, please add your votes to this UserVoice item for that specific drag/drop ask: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16927345

Thanks and hope you’re having a great day.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

7. Add Teams as a service in Flow

Microsoft Flow supports Slack and others - would be really helpful to support Teams.

288 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Prevent new team creation globally

Need a way to prevent any user from creating a random team (and therefore a 365 Group). Either a way to explicitly lock down with a permission or allow someone to be a moderator

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! IT admins can currently (1) turn off team creation for all tenant users or (2) only allow a certain subset of users to create teams through the existing setting to turn off O365 group creation. We are using this same setting to determine a tenant’s team creation policy. Please let us know how this works for you!

9. Ability to paste images

For example, being able to paste an image into a conversation or channel with Ctrl+V

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! We currently support pasting an image via Ctrl+v. Your cursor must be active in the compose box and have an image on your clipboard. If this does not work for you, please reply with more detailed information as to the scenario you’re trying to execute so we can follow up with the product team.

10. 7,396 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

473 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all of your feedback. The team has been hard at work on improving notifications, and has added more options for Teams & Channels. You can find detailed information on configuring and managing notifications in Teams here: https://support.office.com/article/manage-notifications-in-teams-1cc31834-5fe5-412b-8edb-43fecc78413d

This UserVoice item has evolved to cover many other suggestions over time. We are setting this item to completed, but please feel free to upvote/comment on the items below, as well as create additional ones that may be missing.

1) Integrate with Windows 10 Notifications Center – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16950997 

2) Integrate with MacOS notifications – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16941685 

3) Visual notifications are easily missed – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/18161440 

4) Improve audio notifications – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/18931243

5) Follow channels by default – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/18626221 

6) Turn off preview in notification toasts – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/32624690  

Thanks,
    Alex & the Teams team

11. Keyboard shortcuts to navigate between chats

I miss the sleek keyboard shortcuts to move between chats.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! You can use Alt+e for Windows, Option+e for Mac, or Ctrl+Alt+e for Web to quickly switch across both your chats and channels. Just start typing in the chat/channel, select the item in the autosuggest, and you should jump to your desired destination.

Please let us know how this works for you! And to see our other keyboard shortcuts, visit Settings → Keyboard Shortcuts.

12. Use existing Planner or Group to build Team

Maybe this is in there, but we have a number of Office 365 Groups it would be nice to make a team out of. I got to make a team the very first time out of a group for one, but I don't see a way of making a team out of an existing Group and auto-adding those members. It would be nice if it tied to the existing Planner--I don't want to make new teams or groups, but use the existing ones....

1,042 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry folks, I totally missed this one thought it’s been done for a while now, as some of you have figured out.

How to use an existing Planner to build a Team: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/Bringing-a-Plan-into-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/57463

And for Groups, when you are creating a new Team, you’ll see a paragraph at the bottom of the “Create a Team” form box that gives you an option to select an existing group.

Please note that you must be the ADMIN of the Planners and Groups you are trying to build a Team upon.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions, and sorry I let this one pass me!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

13. Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

10,238 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1878 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Include previous chat history when adding new people to group chat

Provide an option to include chat history when you add new person to a group chat

358 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news everybody, this feature request has now made it to the public ring! You will now see the chat history when adding new people to group chat.

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback.

-Warren

15. Notifications for all messages in a channel

There is no clear way how to enable all notifications in channels. I have channel where I am interested in all messages.

1,958 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

252 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I hope this brightens your Friday — your feature request is here! Our hardworking engineers have been working on this for weeks and we’re happy to report it released yesterday.

To set notifications for all messages in a channel, just click the little ellipses next to the channel name and choose “Follow this channel.”

If this made your Friday, please tweet to us! You can send the tweet to me (@skprufo) or just include the #MicrosoftTeams hashtag, and I’ll make sure it gets to our dev team.

THANK YOU for making Teams better and better with your awesome feedback. You guys are the best.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

16. Markdown support

In slack I can format my message by using markdown.
    See get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/202288908-...

That also allows me to have some kind of code highlighting.
    This feature is really cool for teams discussing technical subjects.

1,111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

102 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Markdown is here!

For those who want to be able to format text on the fly or collaborate on code, markdown has finally arrived. Now, you’ve got a quick, easy way to perform the following actions:

add asterisks to either end of some text to make it bold
    underscore the beginning and end of some text in order to make it italic
    add a tilde before and after your text to strike through
    Add a double pound sign (##) before your text to create a Header
    Type [text](URL) to create a hyperlink within a message
    To start a bulleted list, preface your text with an asterisk (*) or a hyphen (-)
    To start a numbered list, preface your text with
    To create a block quote, just add a right-hand bracket (>) before your text
    Even better, our markdown syntax includes support for code:

To add an inline block…

17. Ability to see who is in a channel

Ability to see who is currently in a channel. Hipchat and Slack have this feature

11,500 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

426 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70%…

8,118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

766 comments  ·  Guest Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The #1 requested feature for Microsoft Teams is now here!

We’re starting to roll out the ability to add anyone as a guest in Microsoft Teams. This means that anyone with a business or consumer email account, such as Outlook.com, Gmail.com or others, can participate as a guest in Teams with full access to team chats, meetings and files.

For more info, check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Collaborate-securely-with-anyone-in-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/165941

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
    -Warren

19. Auto scroll down when new messages come in

It is annoying to have to click on the “New Messages” button or scroll down manually when new messages arrive. The suggestion here is to keep scrolling down to bottom and to provide a button to jump back to last unread message.

3,961 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

420 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback and help on this item. It has been resolved for the majority of users: the screen no longer jumps around while scrolling or jumps to the latest message if you are scrolled up.

If you have any questions with this feature or find a bug, please email teamsml@microsoft.com with repro steps and user logs. Your feedback is always extremely helpful!

Thank you for your support of Teams and your patience while we worked on this item. I really appreciate it and wish you a very Happy New Year!

Suphatra

20. 4,742 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

537 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base