Public

Hi there, you have reached a site that enables you to post feedback about Microsoft Teams. The feedback you post here is public and controlled by UserVoice and subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

This site is undergoing some branding revisions, momentary outages may be encountered. 

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need to be able to remove people from a group chat.

I'm assuming this was already requested but searching on Uservoice doesn't work all that well so I didn't find anything.

There needs to be a way to remove people from a group chat (not from a team chat). If someone gets added by mistake, there is no way to remove them from a chat. We have to request people manually Leave the chat.

In Skype, chats are considered meetings and I can just right-click someone to remove them. That functionality needs to be added to Teams as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow More People to be in a Private Chat

Currently the maximum number of people who can join a group chat is 50, it would be really useful to see this expanded! We have multiple use-cases within our organisation for larger group chats, particularly as people try to move away from Lync and Skype based chats.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow More People to be in a Private Chat

Currently the maximum number of people who can join a group chat is 50, it would be really useful to see this expanded! We have multiple use-cases within our organisation for larger group chats, particularly as people try to move away from Lync and Skype based chats.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Chat with only 20 people?

The chat tab gives you the ability to only chat in the same time with 20 people and no more. Is it possible to get this changed and have more then 20 people in this chat? I know we can chat in the group team where more then 20 can join but it is not the same. Chat experience is different t on chat then I'm the group and some people like it this way. If 20 can join, why not more?

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Screen sharing within chat

I need to be able to share my screen with a coworker at a different location WITHIN a chat. I also need my coworker to be able take over my computer within chat. Right now it seems you can only share your screen during a meeting.

348 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Suphatra responded

This is done! Happy holidays. Tweet me at @skprufo if you have any questions.
    Suphatra

6. Allow for content sharing outside of audio/video meeting

Need the ability to share desktop outside of a meeting - escalate chat/message to desktop share, then add audio/video if needed; or, audio/video on mobile, but sharing desktop content.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Chat time stamp

Basic date and time stamp for when a message was sent

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded

Chat times stamps are available in the public release.

Thank you for the feedback. :)
    -Warren

8. Alt+A and Alt+S affecting Polish character for ą

Captures global shortcut for polish diacritics (ą, ś) alt+s, alt+a

111 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I am happy to announce that build 33658 has been released to the public, so you should be receiving the update if you don’t have it already. Thank to everyone who confirmed the fix worked for them, and thanks again for your patience as we worked thru this tricky issue.

Alex & the Teams team

9. Copying text - hovering menu hides the end of the text

When copying text from a message, the ending of the message is hidden by the "More Options" hover.

1,233 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

329 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Group Chat Member (20 people plus)

We have many people on my team and my concern is that there is a limited number of people that you can include in a group chat which opted us to use another app. I would like to maximize the team collaboration in MST that is why messaging is very important to us.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

9,669 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

851 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Let me and the team owner delete messages.

One user asked:
    If I wrote the message, I should be allowed to delete it, regardless of a time limit (right now we're only allowed 24 hours to delete our own message). There should be no limit.

Another user asked:
    The team owner should have moderating access to their own teams. In its most basic form, team owners should be able to delete messages posted by other members.

It is a basic functionality that other popular services like Slack allow. It also helps keep a team's conversation clean.

For example, a new member of our team is still getting familiar…

446 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have removed the 24-hour limit on all messages. We have also added the ability for owners to delete messages. HOWEVER, on the latter function, this is not on by default — the IT admin needs to enable the feature to allow team owners to delete any message.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Suphatra

13. Abilty to disable chat

We would like the ability to prevent users from taking part in private/group chats amongst themselves but still allow them to take part in the Conversations in a Team.

We are currently using Teams for our staff, but with the news that Teams is to replace Microsoft Classrooms for Education customers we will eventually need to allow for Students as well.

However we would not want Students to have the ability to be sending un-monitored IM's to each during lessons via Chat so the ability to turn this off and restrict messaging to the shared conversation in Teams would be…

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, this feature has shipped! Tenant admins can now disable private chat for Microsoft Teams. You’ll start to see it in your Teams immediately.

Here’s how it works:

1. Navigate to the admin portal
    2. Click on “Settings”
    3. Then click on “Services & add-ins”
    4. Then click on “Microsoft Teams”
    5. Here you’ll find your Tenant-wide settings. Click on “Messaging”.
    6. Select the license type you want to configure.
    7. Toggle off “Allow users to chat privately”. This will remove private chat from students. Please allow up to 24 hours for a change in this setting to complete. You can use it selectively enable and disable private chat from any groups of users so long they share a license type.

Thank you for all your help and feedback, please let me know if you have any issues regarding this feature.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

14. Make it possible to hide unnecessary chats

Now the list shows chats that are no longer needed - with employees fired, etc. The ability to hide them would greatly reduce the list of chats

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Looks like this one was missed, but it is completed and the ability to hide chats exists.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. :)
    -Warren

15. Paste as plain text option

When copying text and pasting into the chat box we need to be able to paste as plain text. It makes the test unreadable often when the source formatting is carried over and the text color and background color are the same, or coming from a webpage it often carries table formatting etc. Workaround right now requires pasting into a plain text editor like notepad and then copying again before pasting in Teams.

95 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  20 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow removal of people from Group Chats

Once a person is added to a group chat. You cannot remove them. You must create a new chat and lose all the history.

1,560 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

203 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Mark message as unread

Sometimes you might be busy when you read a new message and would like to come back to it at a later time. I'd like the option to mark a message as unread so I know to come back to it after a meeting for example.

107 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is done!

Just hover over the upper left side of any message and click the ellipses. On the fly out window, choose “Mark as Unread.”

Thanks,
    Suphatra

18. Missed Skype For Business Messages Disappear

Currently if I am in Teams and someone from Skype sends me a message while I am away or do not click the notification immediately the message becomes missed completely. Skype For Business will open a window if you have it open but if you do not once the notification window closes the message is lost.

It would be nice to have the message open in Teams, bold like a pending message is so that no messages are lost.

130 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request has completed and has been released to the public.

Thank you for the feedback/suggestion.

-Warren

19. More than 20 participants in a chat

We would like to use group chats for conversations that are not team/work related. However, the 20 participant limit keeps us from using the feature to it's full extent. Please increase the participant limit for group chats from 20 to 100.

986 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

182 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is done rolling out and you should all be able to use this function in your Teams now. Ping me at sparavi (at) Microsoft (dot) com if you have any questions!

Suphatra

20. Notification for Team

There's no notification for team and channels. please make notification for it!

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You now can follow a channel to get notifications for that channel or Team. Just click the little ellipses next to the channel name and select “Follow Channel.”

Enjoy!

Suphatra

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base