Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show entire conversation on with search results

Currently when you search for older messages and select a result Teams will only return the one result. If it's a conversation from 3 months ago where I only know a handful of words I really am looking for some context, and showing the surrounding messages (like slack or discord) would help a ton.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve the behavior which shows duplicated user name in the reach result

Teams search result shows two duplicated user names when searching with full email address of the user via the search or type a command box in Teams. Either of them redirects me to the correct chat page, but I would like you to fix this behavior to show only one suggestion.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Search should include special characters

Searching for a person called "René", I can't just type "Rene" - it has to be "René". This works in other Office products, but not Teams.

So, please make search a little smarter on that point.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Include team private chat title in search

When I've renamed a teams group chat I am not able to find the chat with search if I search on the group title. Searching on words in the chat does work, but I would like to search on the group chat title/name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. onenote online search entire notebook

I just finished moving onenote notebook sections to our new MS Teams notebook. problem is that search functionality is a joke. it only allows searching for keywords on a particular section or page. why can't it search the entire notebook? please make this happen. Its hard enough convincing an aging demographic of workers to accept newer technology, but it becomes a laughable task when something as Common as search is not even done correct

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. search for old chat in mobile app doesn't scroll to selected message

In the mobile app (Android), search for a historical chat (old enough to not be initially visible when chatting with that individual). When clicking on that search result, the chat channel is pulled up but not scrolled to that message.

I was searching for a chat from 11/26 today (3/4). This is a frequently used chat, so would take forever to scroll up.

This works correctly in the app on Windows.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Semi-Private Teams that are searchable and joining is by request

Last February (2018), Microsoft announced that private teams would be discoverable by searching. After negative user feedback, the updated was revoked.

To solve the problem of not being able to search for teams that are not public (which anyone can join), I would suggest that in addition to Private, Public, and Org-Wide teams, that Microsoft add Semi-Private teams. The only difference would be that they would be searchable/discoverable (like Public teams) but instead of anyone being able to join the team (like Public teams), a user would request that they be allowed to join the team. The owner of the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. private teams should have option to be hidden from search or not

Users can not search for private rooms to ask for membership approval. They can search for public teams but those can not be member approved by owners.
    We would like to have an option when creating private team whether it is hidden from search or not so users could easily find us and ask for membership.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Quick Search for Teams and Channels

Ability to do a quick search for Teams you are already joined and also for channels. Pls make just a quick text box in the upper part of the teams and channels panel on the left side. Not a big deal for you, but a big deal for us!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. UnifiedAuditLog

Json string output from the Search-UnifiedAuditLog cmdlet it looks like lines are getting truncated at 3062 characters.Looking for increasing this limit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Team channel people search

Instead of 2 search buttons that don’t work well, one search button that shows any match for people, Teams, channels? I hate that searching for a channel, if it isn’t completely spelled properly, it doesn’t show. So then you search thru all teams, point and click to open more than 5 channels, which really, really gets old...hunting for the channel.

And, I’d really like to know who is on a team or a channel when I’m about to send a message.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Teams does not find files in folders

When I search for a file, Teams finds the files that are stored at the root level, but not the files that are inside folders.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Searching text

Search history

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Searching contacts using partial names

Searching using a first name (e.g. Thomas) usually results in a list of several people with that name (with different last names). Then you need to use TAB to select the right one. Slow and not very convenient.

Alternatively and it's the way some other apps to it, you could search using the first letters of the first name (e.g. Tho) and beginning of the last name (e.g. Jef for Jefferson).

This way you'll usually get a unique result using only 2-3 letters of the first and last name. e.g. th je usually finds the right Thomas Jefferson ;)y

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Search and filter through tasks/assignments

It's a must for us considering to use Team channels as groups with different assignments

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Search function on mobile app should also show files.

When you search on desktop team app the results ‚messages‘ ‚members‘ and ‚files‘. When you search on mobile app (iOS) the search result is only ‚messages‘ and ‚ members‘. You should also search files on mobile apps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Search doesn't default to people

I expect to search people in teams to find who they are, or start a conversation with them. Every time I search I see no results and then I remember that I have to switch to "people" tab. I recommend having a global search; why have two tabs and an extra click to find people results? Reduces efficiency and creates user frustration.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. search notebook contents

The contents of OneNote Notebook files need to be searchable. The fact that MS has a wonderful search capability in SharePoint and such bad searching in Teams is difficult to understand.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base