Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. File search of SharePoint Online document libraries added as "Cloud Storage"

I have added separate SP libraries to MS Teams as " Add Cloud Storage". When I try to search for files that are located in one of these document libraries which are not associated to MS Teams, no items appear. The only way to search these libraries tis to go into SP online to use the search from there.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hello, Please add a extended function in search which would allow to search folders :)

Please add a extended function in search which would allow to search folders :)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please move the search bar back to the left and not at the top of the window..

I'm not sure why the search bar was moved to the top of the window b/c it really doesn't make any sense or serve any new purpose. I can't see why that was ever a priority or a thought. It's just awful. Please move it back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. People Search - Wrong Chat Bug

Steps:
    1. People Search to a new person whom you've never chatted with (perhaps it's a person who does not have Teams installed?)
    2. Double click the name to initiate a new chat
    3. Note that Teams randomly selects an existing/recent chat and brings that one forward instead.

This behavior could be deadly if you don't notice that the wrong person's chat window is now enabled.

The only way I have to start a new conversation is to click the "new" button on the top of the current chats list, which is fine, but the other way is more intuitive…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. #Teams

Trending "hashtags" might help Teams ability to search for common terms that we use. If we can use the # we might be able to click on the term and see all of the other times our group or other groups did the same thing!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Search bar location

The search/command bar in the middle of the very top of the window is not a very good location. Decades of UI/UX work to train users to click there to DRAG the window and now it's a giant search box. Perhaps the ability to move it to a different place or make it expandable if you want to would be nice. Or option to hide it. But right in the middle of the top of the window is a terrible place.

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded

The feature team has decided to decline this request after careful consideration. Thank you for the suggestion and all the feedback.

-Warren

8. First name search should return last name, first name in last name alphabetical order

In people search, First name search should return first - anyone I've texted with previously, then by last name, first name in last name alphabetical order. Right now it's returning in a seemingly random order.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Switch focus to chosen team

When searching for a team and clicking it, after I have found it, the Teams app does not switch the focus to the chosen team. That is very annoying because I cannot see channels of that team, if my focus is set on other teams within the teams list on the left side.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Search inside the text of Word docs, PDFs, PowerPoints, Excel files, etc.

The search feature should pull results from inside attachments, like Outlook currently does. This is invaluable when files are frequently labeled poorly. Also, allowing you to choose to only search attachments would add a lot of value.

For example, a search for a company name that might be in the signature line of a legal document, but not in the file name would still allow you to find the document you were looking for.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Clicking on a found message does not take me back to where it is in the channel anymore.

What happened to this? It used to work when I search for a message, find it, click it and it would take me to the exact place in the channel that it was posted. Now, it takes me to random areas in the channel. This isn't useful anymore, and makes it hard to use this tool for collaboration now.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Searching in Saved Messages

We use Microsoft Teams at my workplace and we really like the opportunity to save documents, posts or photos. When there is a task and a deadline in a post, I just save it and then I can check it easily at the 'Saved messages' tab. So I won't forget it. The only one problem is with the saving posts is if there are too many posts then hard to find and manage them, so it would be essential and important that users could SEARCH only between the saved messages.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Search hits leads to a file, I would like to see the folder it is in

When I do a search I ofted find a file (i.e. a pdf), and when clicking the file is opened. But I would like to have the ability to go to the folder where the file is, either after viewing it, and deciding it was not the right one, or directly in the search results.

Right now I have zero ability to go to WHERE the file was found, because only the team and channel is shown under the file name.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Find/Search > Go to Chat. should take you to that point in time during the chat. Not just the chat window.

I want to search for a conversation within a full chat with someone. So, I use keywords in the search function. Teams will find the single message in which I used that keyword but single messages are out of context.

The Go to Chat feature just takes you to that chat at the latest message. It should take you to that specific point in time in the chat so that you can see the full context of the conversation.

Trying to scroll through days of endless chatter is cumbersome.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. search

Wildcard search!
    When searching in chat messages i will not get a hit on 'test' when a message contains 'testing'. Exact matches should be first, and wildcard matches later.

137 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Unable to search using short name of a person

If I have a Teams Colleague with the name Robert Vanderplank and I search for the name Rob Vanderplank the Teams Search results return no results. I have to enter his full name as Robert Vanderplank to find his contact.

It would be very useful if Teams could search using partial names as well as the full name.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make Teams more like garbage can, less like landfill

The more I use Teams, the messier it gets. It's like a landfill that just keeps growing. Email is like a garbage can, at least I'm able to clean out old junk that's no longer relevant.
    Today I tried to find a conversation I had with someone from May, without knowing a specific word to "search" for. I had to repeatedly press the "Home" button to go to the short-term top of the chat with that person, and repeat for a few minutes. Or if I knew a word to search, it would have taken me only to an individual…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Searching

Would like to be able to search within a chat and across chats easily. Searching within a chat is not possible and searching across chats is

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Search Modifiers

Add modifiers similar to Outlook such as "From:", "In:", etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base