Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. XLSX File Viewer needs to show dates correctly

Having setup a team and included an Excel file; I note that within Teams; it is incorrectly showing dates as m/dd/yyyy rather than the correct dd/mm/yyyy format for UK users - everything else on my PC is showing the dates formatted correctly apart from this application!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow a new document to be created from a file template file (eg: .dotx) from within the Files tab for a team.

• A user finds the dotx file and clicks on it and Teams creates the .docx file and opens up Word to edit the file

• When the user saves the file it saves to the same channel in the team

Douglas

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow us to flag and/or tag files

In a collaborative environment, we must have some way to know that a file has been reviewed, viewed, filled out, edited, finalized, not approved, etc etc.

Please allow us the capability to not only quickly flag a file in Teams(right click -> flag -> select flag), but create custom flags in the Admin portal - or even have an option to enable custom user flags.

Ideally the flags would show up in the big empty space in teams between the file name and the date.

Even better, apply a color to the flag, which colors the file name/information bar.

Also,…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Syncing Folders to devices with other software like Synology Cloud Sync

Synology has the capability to sync files from OneDrive for Business through their "Cloud Sync" application, I would like to be able to sync files from team sites as well for local storage.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Team Site Site Columns

The Teams site you can create a Site Column using Metadata but this site column is not visible on other team sites to implement. this also goes for app templates. could this be managed a collection base for all team sites

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Sharepoint view

Add the option to use SharePoint views from the document library in SharePoint sites.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Sorry Missing Files Error

Hi Everyone,

Having created a new Team, I have used a migration to populate the files for the team, targeting the underlying sharepoint site\Shared Documents\General folder.

The files all appear as expected, but some (not all) of the files when clicked on or pin to tab, gets a "sorry missing file" error.  A similar error happens when you rename the file in teams, although it will actually rename it.  If you open in sharepoint, all files are fully functionall for view/edit.

Interestingly, if you take a file that has this issue, you are able to use Teams…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Deeper Folders

Hello,

It would be great if Teams could make it quicker to access deep folder structures inside of the "Files" tab. A couple of ideas would be

1. Being able to make a Tab at the top that shows a specific folder in the Teams directory

2. Being able to create a shortcut of sorts in the Files tab that would open the deeper folder and not leave the Files tab.

BTW, Big fan of Teams!

Thanks,
    Jordan

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. More OneDrive functionality within the Teams App

It would be great if the Teams app could have the same controls for managing your OneDrive data as you have in a browser. One of our biggest issues is that people like to use windows explorer to access mapped drives. Not everyone wants to use the sync app and have files stored on the local computer to see files in explorer. I could see the Teams App being a good replacement for managing and accessing OneDrive data without a need to login to the portal or sync.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Open with" option for non-microsoft files

When trying to open a file that isn't OneNote, Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it won't let you open the documents to edit them. Even files that belong to Microsoft Visio can't be opened. At least for my office we have Adobe products being used as well. Having a prompt come up for when app or program you want to use would be very useful. Also being able to save changes directly to the SharePoint library where the file originated. Downloading and reuploading in a creative environment with designers is a huge hassle.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide option for storing version history for Team files

SharePoint can store file version history. Since Team files are stored in SharePoint, please surface the version history within Teams.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This request has been approved and has now moved to the backlog!

Stay tuned for further updates.
    -Warren

12. being able to co-author on a document as in sharepoint

being able to work on and co-author a document as in sharepoint

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. links to files instead of copies

if you look at working pattern it would be IMHO: user creates a file in documentes, they are synced to OD in cloud, than puts it to Teams for collaboration...
    and there comes a problem - file is duplicated.
    - there is lack of an option to put a link/share a file from OneDrive. or at least make a default action 'MOVE' instead of copy, so the users is somehow forced to use same version of file.

there are more missing features making working with files quite ineffective:
    - if you put a file on a channel, and want to…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Easier way to view photos

Right now I have a folder in my Files tab with a bunch of photos. The only way to view those photos is to open the folder in sharepoint, then view each photo one by one. I can at least easily click from one to the next, however if I'm trying to find a specific photo, I just have to click through one by one until I find it. Ideally I'd like a tab in Teams that is specifically for photo viewing. Similar to a phone, or a folder on my desktop, I'd like to easily jump between viewing thumbnails,…

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. File Opening

When someone sends a file in a team thread or an individual chat, the person opening the file has to download it. You should be able to open the file directly from the chat thread.

Currently, you download the file and then it disappears--you have to go find and open it from your desktop's Downloads folder. The files should open the same way they open in Outlook--double click the file and it launches the appropriate application and displays the file.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Clickable Links in documents

When viewing the document in the desktop or browser versions links in a word document aren't clickable. I have to edit the document in order to click the link.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Drag and Drop Folder

Drag and Drop Folder: currently (2017-04-10) when dragging and dropping a folder from my harddrive to a team Files location the files are copied, but the folder is not. Have to first create the folder on Teams, then copy the files into the folder. Would prefer to drag and drop the fold and Teams will automatically create the folder and copy the files within it to that folder.

264 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is now on the backlog.

I’ll keep you posted as we move through development!
    -Warren

19. Automatically send files if they finish uploading.

When sending a file I have to wait for it to be uploaded before I can send it. Why don't send it but keep it uploading? It´s a waste of time. I don't won't to wait. It's frustrating.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. We are setting up your file directory - still an issue from day one

This has been an issue for me and my whole team since day one.
    When trying to use files i get the following message: "We are setting up your file directory."

The same implies when trying to use for example one note: "We are setting up the OneNote notebook for this team. It will take a few minutes, please be patient and check out later." - nothing has happened for a few weeks.

Is this an ongoing issue to be solved?

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base