Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. File Opening

When someone sends a file in a team thread or an individual chat, the person opening the file has to download it. You should be able to open the file directly from the chat thread.

Currently, you download the file and then it disappears--you have to go find and open it from your desktop's Downloads folder. The files should open the same way they open in Outlook--double click the file and it launches the appropriate application and displays the file.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Clickable Links in documents

When viewing the document in the desktop or browser versions links in a word document aren't clickable. I have to edit the document in order to click the link.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Drag and Drop Folder

Drag and Drop Folder: currently (2017-04-10) when dragging and dropping a folder from my harddrive to a team Files location the files are copied, but the folder is not. Have to first create the folder on Teams, then copy the files into the folder. Would prefer to drag and drop the fold and Teams will automatically create the folder and copy the files within it to that folder.

254 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is now on the backlog.

I’ll keep you posted as we move through development!
    -Warren

5. Automatically send files if they finish uploading.

When sending a file I have to wait for it to be uploaded before I can send it. Why don't send it but keep it uploading? It´s a waste of time. I don't won't to wait. It's frustrating.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. We are setting up your file directory - still an issue from day one

This has been an issue for me and my whole team since day one.
    When trying to use files i get the following message: "We are setting up your file directory."

The same implies when trying to use for example one note: "We are setting up the OneNote notebook for this team. It will take a few minutes, please be patient and check out later." - nothing has happened for a few weeks.

Is this an ongoing issue to be solved?

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel spreadsheet not working from inside Teams app

When creating an Excel Spreadsheet directly in the Files section in the Teams App (Windows 10 Enterprise), the file is being listed in the files area, but is not possible to open. It claims that the format is incorrect. When opening the same file area in Sharepoint Online, the file is created just fine and can be opened in the Teams file area. This appears as a clear bug as we did not utilise any "special characters" either.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Way too easy to break Teams Files features

When you create a Channel, it creates a corresponding folder in SharePoint with the same name.

If you make any changes to the Channel name, the change does not flow through - the folder keeps the original name which will be confusing for system users.

The next thing the user will naturally do is go to the SharePoint view and change the name of the folder to match the new name of the Channel.

But when you change the name of the folder from the original name, it completely breaks the Files tab which then says files can't be found.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SharePoint tabs should include ability to show folders and views

The SharePoint tab is extremely limited, being able to only show a whole library. It needs to be able to show folders, and/or be configured to show views of a library. Especially for organisations using metadata to shape views, so relevant portions of centralised resources can be displayed in a Teams tab.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add the SCAN feature from Office Lens and OneDrive to Channels

Currently to scan a document, a person has to
    1) Open OneDrive
    2) Click Sites
    3) Click the Team
    4) Click Documents
    5) Click the Channel (actually just a folder in the team site document library)
    6) Click the + sign (Upload)
    7) Click Scan

the workflow should be
    1) One Teams
    2) Click Team
    3) Click Scan or Click Files > Scan

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Can't send in-chat images using MAC desktop app

I'm trying to share an image in-chat using the MAC desktop app. Each time I do, it gives me the insecure image error message (see attached). The only way to see it is to go to the files tab within the same chat, click on the file, which then takes me into a browser to view. Any idea of how to get around this so I can just share images within the chat window? Thanks!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. sending files in teams to email recipients

Files already in teams need to be sent to external users via email for their use. Send either as attachment or link to a ondrive folder that they can get to without 1000 hoops . Every time I try to share via a link the receiver cannot open it and i end up doing it the old fashioned way.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Better sending of files between team and personal OneDrives.

It would be awesome to be able to send files from my personal OneDrive (in the Files section) to one of the team drives.

When you right click it could say "Send to team...". If you click on it, it will pop out a list of your teams. You select a team, and it pops up with a dialogue similar to the Share File dialogue in chat to choose where to save it.

Additionally, in the Team > Channel > Files tab, there could be a Add File from My OneDrive, that pops up with a Dialogue similar to the…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. File version summary showing that a file has changed, new updates, who changed files, conversations about content, etc

We are using teams to collaborate on files. Is is possible to be able to see when files are changed or the review process has been undertaken. For instance, if I upload a file and need someone to review the file, I would need to tag the person but I don't have a common view of this.

Can I get notifications when a file has been changed?

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. annotation of PDFs

The ability to annotate PDFs, or at least open in a PDF reader that will, without having to download the file, annotate, and upload.

669 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

152 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Shorten Default "Files" URL from "Shared Documents" to "Docs"

This suggestion actually affects the underlying SharePoint service in addition to Teams.

The underlying URL for the default "Documents" document library in SharePoint is "Shared Documents", which in a URL is actually "Shared%20Documents" as spaces cannot exist in URLs and must be handled with the %20 character substitution.

This means that instead of being able to send a nice clean human readable URL to a file like:
    https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing/Docs/Collateral/design.docx

We end up with:
    https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing/Shared%20Documents/Collateral/design.docx

This is confusing for users.

I would even go so far as to request that every time a user attempts to create a folder or file name…

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add the ability to " Quick Print " a file without having to download or open in sharepoint

I want to have the ability to print a file without having to download it or opening Sharepoint. A "Quick Print" option would be 100% great

1,052 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

176 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

The feature team is still digging into the details of this item. I don’t have an update yet, but all your feedback and votes are shared with the feature team every month.
    I’ll keep pushing this item and hope to have more details soon.
    -Warren

18. Share documents on OneDrive for business in multiple teams

I'd like to be able to a file I have created on OneDrive for business with multiple teams.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Posted Moved File Handling

When a file is moved or renamed after it has been uploaded and posted to a channel, the link referenced in the conversation in that channel never gets updated, therefore leaving a broken link with an existing conversation.
    If Teams is intelligent enough to post the file to the channel, and handles the move, it should be able to find and update the posted locations in the channels.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Save & share documents with Onedrive in Teams! Sharepoint must be merge it!

I think we must make Teams more user friendly, the sharepoint must be closed because we don’t need it! We have Onedrive to save documents and we can share it with Teams ! i understand not why you bringing many the same functions! You must Merge same functionalty to make it smaller and userfrindly! Then you must make, that we can share channls with different users. Because expamle: if we have a Marketing Division (Team), i don’t want that all users or certain users can see certain documents.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base