Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by me (Suphatra) and I’m a real person, not a robot. I work on the Teams team and sit in engineering, and its my job to represent your voice in the design and development of this product.

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which I check religiously!
5 — PARTICIPATE in user testing (sign up here: https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w)

Thanks everyone for supporting Teams. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Suphatra

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. External Access and Federation

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70%…

5,669 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

451 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey guys, I’m rallying to get you more info. In the meantime, here’s the official response from our PR team:

“We are actively working on guest access. Thanks for your patience and stay tuned for more."

I share in your frustration and promise we are dedicated to delivering this feature, and I promise to continue to advocate for you. I appreciate your investment in us and Teams’ success.

If you have any questions, as always — just email or tweet.

-Suphatra

Twitter: skprufo Email: sparavimicrosoft.com

• Ability to archive channels and chats

Would be nice if we had the ability to archive channels. For example: we created a channel for a specific project. Once the project is complete, we can archive that channel or at least move it out of the primary view. I could see the channel list getting large and clunky quickly with multiple projects many of which are complete.

Also, when a conversation in the channel is complete it should be archived or hidden.

1,292 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

First, I want to remind you that we have had legal archiving in the product for a long time. That means all messages are retained in a compliance folder automatically for you. For more info on this, read here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Top-Features-of-Microsoft-Teams-amp-Information-Protection-in/ba-p/63046

Secondly, for those seeking an end-user way to archive content (essentially, for non-legal reasons), I am happy to report we are actively working on giving you a way to archive channels. We should have this to you soon.

Lastly, archiving chats is a separate work item that we still have in review, as that is harder to solve for. I will let you know when this work begins.

Thanks and hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Suphatra

• When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply.

When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply. If a user leaves the company or if we have new users, it is a manual process to add or remove them from a Team. Since we can select a Security group or Distribution list, changes to either should be reflected on the Team members.

29 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Channel Level Permissions

In a team, there are multiple channels. Now if a member is added to the team, he/she can access any channel and view any files/documents under it. Would be really great if we can restrict him/her to only specific channel inside a team. Channel level permissions would be great along with team.

20 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Backups, Archiving and History for Legal Compliance

If we use MS Teams for firm wide chat, it is vital that all chat, for infinite history, is stored and recoverable, easily, for legal compliance reasons.

For example, we close a project on which we used MS Teams to discuss and work on together as a firm. We close that project. A year later we enter into litigation for that project. We then need to recall and show proof of conversations regarding that project, and the MS Team chat/channel conversations.

What functionality exists for this in MS Teams?

How do we do the recall if available?

AND How long…

20 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone — here’s some clarity on our legal compliance.

As of now, Chat history for a Team is stored infinitely and available for eDiscovery/Content Search. So, the answer to your question depends on what you mean by closing the project. If you close the project, but don’t kill the Office 365 Group/Team associated with, everything should be still searchable. You should be able to recall/search for all chat activity that happened within the Team by scoping your compliance content search to the appropriate group mailboxes. The data is not lost.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! You can post a message here or tweet me @skprufo.

Thanks,
              Suphatra

• Prevent Team from showing in Outlook Global Address List

Is there any way to prevent Teams from showing up in the Global Address List in Outlook?

Some of our team names might be specific to a problem, or have a ticket#, or even downright silly (see attached screenshot). We don't want to lock down Team creation; we'd just like to prevent the Team from showing up in the GAL (by default).

16 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Azure RMS/AIP Integration

Allow integration with Azure RMS/AIP via Teams. Ideally, users could enable this per Team (as they see fit) and it would encrypt and protect the files, chats, etc. inside of that Team (which would enable the IRM feature in SharePoint, OneDrive, etc. behind the scenes and enforce RMS upon download of the files).

14 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Desperately need security group permissions capability in Teams

Having only the capacity to manage permissions by individual user is a maintenance nightmare. Teams needs to be able to maintain access permissions by Security Group.

11 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 8 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Differentiate between teachers and students and other Classroom features

If Teams is supposed to replace Classroom, then I hope that some functionality will carry over from Classroom. For members, we need to be able to differentiate between teachers (full rights to do anything) and students (can read files, maybe can write files, definitely cannot delete files). What about turning in assignments, like we were able to do in Classroom?

8 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Privacy and Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Multi-Chats mix conversations.

I have the experience of having Skype application of, another person wrote on a multi-chat and I got only the text from the person but I saw none else connected on that chat.

Not posible to closed the chat Windows either.

This application is still needed loads of cleaning in the basics.

7 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Finger print / passwords same as outlook app

Finger print / password security access the same as outlook app.

7 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Major security issue! Set file sharing rights on SEND instead of during the composition of message

When composing a message/draft, before the message is actually sent, the file attached or selected file from within onedrive for business is shared with the user. Even if you cancel the message you're writing (which is not that clear on how to do since you need to expand the chat window to find the trashcan), the share is still active. Even if you actually delete the files from the files meny in the client, the file is still shared! Lets say that you selected a confidential file by mistake - that gets shared - you need to take many steps…

7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add numeric password to Teams App so more HIPPA compliant

Teams is great but would like to use in medical environment. A numeric password like when opening One Drive would be great. Same goes for Sharepoint app. This is for HIPPA security as well as patients privacy.

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Owners and Members defaults and Delete a Channel - 2nd verification check

I cannot understand why the Owners and Members are assigned the SAME rights when you create a Team (e.g. powers to delete channels) . I understand that you can CHANGE the setting AFTER you set up a team however this is not the behavior you would expect. For Example In Yammer from day 1 - ADMIN has higher rights than members otherwise WHY have 2 levels. It confuses people who are setting up a Team and they may miss this essential step of restricting members to delete. Surely it is safer to restrict the delete option as STANDARD for members.

4 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Password Protection on folders and files within individual teams

While we have multiple different members on individual teams, we have several different folders and individual files that we would like to be able to protect with passwords so that not all members of teams are able to view them without having to create new teams only for those specific folders and files. While we are able to password protect individual files before they are uploaded, it is difficult to do this for folders and will also require time to re-upload files that are already on our team sites.

Being able to place password protection on our existing folders and…

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable 3rd party PKI certificates for SMIME in OWA

Our organization has a trust hierarchy that requires us to use 3rd party PKI certificates for SMIME. We use Office365 and many users use OWA, so we started looking into configuring OWA to do SMIME. However, there is a technet article that states that is not supported for 3rd party certificates. As many users prefer OWA, that is negatively impacting the security posture of our organization.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add moderated public team (request to join) as an option besides public and private

It would be good to have a third option when creating a team besides 'private' and 'public'.
                                      Private means member editor access only, but also makes the team not discoverable for interested people who are not a member, and then could request to join.
                                      Public means the team and it's content is open to anyone on the tenant.
                                      For organisations with specific BU's who would like to be discoverable for non-team membersb(thus needs to be public), but only allow memership (join) after a request (moderated membership).
                                      There could actually be 2 types of moderated teams:
                                      1. Public and moderated where…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Compliance

Teams needs to be able to journal messages for compliance. The internal compliance is weak and does not meet the requirements for any regulated financial company. We are Sunsetting teams for all of our pilot group despite users loving it because we just could not make it pass compliance muster..

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• allow team members to respond or post to conversations anonymously

it would be good to have a way to post to conversations anonymously. This should be something that can be configurable in a channel or group.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base