Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Channel background picture

Allow upload a picture to change the Channel header background. Will help users to differentiate between channels.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Don't Close Call when Teams window Closed

This happens to me about 5 times a day. Literally. I'm chatting to someone and they close the window to find another one and the call ends.

In Skype, closing the Window doesn't end the call.

On iOS, closing the Window doesn't end the call.

Why does it end the call on Windows?

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to undock the "Chat" function in the Teams window

Would like to see the ability to undock the "Chat" function in the Teams window - like the Skype for Business interface, so that I can work in "Teams" and view documents while answering questions for folks. Too often, someone asks me a question, to answer it I have to leave the chat and find the document and then go back to the chat and then re-find the document. I also may want the chat up and visible while I'm working in other applications without wanting the heavier/larger total Teams UI on top.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy paste markdown text should do proper formatting

Although markdown works as you type things in by hand, it should also format text that is pasted into Teams.

We often have markdown docs or other existing assets that we're discussing, and being able to copy-paste markdown into Teams would help make that process a lot easier than retyping everything by hand!

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. group contacts by status

Add ability in Teams to arrange contacts by online/offline status like Skype has.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 'Fully' threaded conversations, not just reply-to-Topic

While I know we can reply to the top-level topic we can't reply to a post replying to this topic.

Currently I have to pull out each reply like this as a separate Topic which is cumbersome and loses the original context.

I 'simply' want to Reply to any Posts in Teams, be that a top-level topic or a response to that Topic, so that I can have a fully threaded, contextual conversation.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Open Chat windows separately

Open Chat windows separately. This is very poor implementation of chat in MS TEAMS, as all proper communication tools that exist in the market have this feature. It allows for multiple chats to be viewed simultaneously. When is MS TEAMS dev team going to fix this glaring gap?

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Reply

Often, the <--Reply appears hidden behind the "Start a new conversation" field. This results in forking conversations rather than keeping all under a single topic thread.

Could the Reply button move out where we already expect to see Conversation tools?

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Show me the number of channel followers

In Slack I can see the members of a channel, but I also know at a glance how many people are in the channel. With Teams I can see the team members but it is hard to get a quantity. Also, I don't know how to see who is following a given channel in the team. If I have a dead channel I want to know so I can remove it.

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to order the channels within a team...

Unless I just can't find it:) The channels order by creation. Would love to be able to reorder them by dragging them.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Keyboard shortcuts for 'Back' and 'Forward' navigation

Please create a keyboard shortcut for the ability to navigate 'Back' and 'Forward' (instead of having to mouse click on the upper-left arrows).

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improve UI for threaded conversations

I think that the threaded conversation view has a fundamental UI problem.

At present, the text control at the bottom of the view will start a new conversation, and replying to an existing conversation requires a specific action.

We have been trained by pretty much every other chat program in the world that the box at the bottom of the screen is for typing a reply to the current conversation. To change this behavior requires Teams users to un-learn a common behavior and re-learn it just for this program.

Users spend most of their time using other programs. Conforming to…

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Show Teams with external users in a different colour scheme

It would be good to have Teams with external users (guests) show up in a different colour scheme so that users are aware about internal/external groups at a glance. It will also help if there is a feature akin to Outlook Mail Tips which will indicate that content being shared in such Teams is visible to external users.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add the option to disable message previews in the Favorites and Recent IM windows.

In the Chat tab, my boss complains that he can't open Teams while in screen sharing applications (such as WebEx) because if he does then the last thing said to each of his contacts is visible and may compromise confidential info. He'd like the option to turn off the preview and only show the names of the people without any message preview.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Quicker way to find contact and start conversation

Starting new conversation with colleague via teams (4-6 seconds, 7+ steps):
    1. Mouse click on pinned MS Teams on taskbar
    2. Wait for 1-2 seconds for MS Teams window to open
    3. Mouse click on "Search"
    4. Enter contact name
    5. Mouse click or down+enter to open chat
    6. Mouse click/focus message field
    7.Type + enter, message sent

Compared to Skype for business (1-3 seconds, 4 steps):
    1. Double click on taskbar Skype icon - window opens instantly
    2. Start typing contact name ("Search" is focused automatically)
    3. Press enter (first match chat window is opened, message field is focused) …

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Manual Away Settings and Status Text Box

The R/G/Y status indicator doesn't work. It seems to drive itself which is pointless. We need to be able to manually set it like Skype.

Of greater importance is the status TEXT. We MUST have this to show if we are traveling and when in the next 2 days, and when we have PTO. If we're heads down and don't want contact but will accept contact if needed, we need to set to Green and have that text in there. We're a 100% remote team and must rely on Teams for this.

PS - We're planning on sunsetting Slack for…

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Stacking Chat Notifications

This might be more windows UX but it would be nice if the notifications stacked for chats. I am part of an active group chat and I don't want to disable notifications completely but it is also distracting when there are notifications all up the side of my computer!

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Video gallery options

When using Skype for Business, participants were able to choose between "gallery view" or having in full-screen the participan that is talking at each moment

I'm not able to find that option in Teams, only gallery view or pinning manually one of the video signals as main and full-screen.

is this planned?

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make the accept call button GREEN

I would like to see the answer call button for call be changed to green. This would highlight the action similar to the hang up button being red.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow me to change Group Chat icons

Right now we have a bunch of Group and once you start adding names to it, they are pretty hard to identify which one is which. If I could change the Group Chat icon, it will be easier for me to identify this.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base