Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We updated our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled = true when created from Teams?

A recent update has changed -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled from default false to default true when Office 365 group is created by Teams. I would like an option for the user who creates the team to set this value upon creation. Our users need to use the O365 group as well as the team created in Teams. With this value set to true they cannot use the email functionality of the O365 group unless I use powershell to change the value every time someone creates a new team in Teams.

This post was created because of a suggestion from support and the information…

387 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

35 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Search Public and Private Teams

Users report its very difficult for their peers to find a team that they have created. This hinders their ability to increase team membership.

---

Other users report its frustrating that they can't just search ALL the teams at their organization -- that only a small fraction are surfaced to them in their "Suggested" view.

---

The capability to view Public Teams when you click on "Create Team" is great.

HOWEVER... it would be a better user experience if there was a prominent button or link called "Search for Teams".

Teams needs this discovery capability to avoid the duplication of…

374 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

Unfortunately we hit some snags and this has moved back to “working on it”. The team is working to make some corrections and I hope to have a release date in the near future. I’ll keep you posted with what I hear.
    -Warren

3. Team directory

There should be a quick way of viewing all the public teams in my organization outside of search.

366 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This request is still working its way through the backlog. Nothing additional to report yet.
    -Warren

4. Team Opt Out - (Assign members to channels, not automatically)

I might have a team called IT and channels of IT projects. So assigning members to channels would be great, since it's not the same for each project (channels).

Primary ask is to be able to set a Team to "Opt Out" and therefore not automatically join team members to every channel under that specific Team.

Users would have the ability to invite others users to channels. (Or as an Admin, add people to channels as needed.)

366 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded

This request has been declined by the feature team.

Private channels may help with items such as this request once they are released. The Private channel topic is tracked at http://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16911079

Please note the handling of “Guest Accounts” is a separate ask and can be found at: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911109-guest-access

The request about “Guest Access at the Channel” level is being tracked by this request: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577-guest-access-should-be-implemented-at-the-channel

Thank you all for the feedback.
    -Warren

5. Share a channel between teams

I like the default compartmentalisation of Teams. However quite often, I'd like to have 1 'public front' of my team towards the other teams.

The only option for this seems to be to have a Team "Everyone", and create a separate channel per team again. But this then splits the discussion unnecessarily between teams.

Ideally, I'd like to take a team channel, and share it with all the other teams.

353 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is still on the backlog. I’m waiting to hear more that I can share.
    -Warren

6. Alphabetical sort option for Teams

Please consider including an option for viewing the teams in alphabetical order. Ideally, there should be a "Default" view which sorts all the teams in ascending order (A-Z) and an option to sort the teams based on most recent activity. Of course, this feature should also be pushed to the mobile app as well.

347 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Export your conversations to a document.

it would nice to have the feature to export your conversation to a document such as a word document or excel or to a file alike. this would be Handy if you need to send out the conversations to someone who you would not normally have apart of your team. this would save time and make it more user friendly. Also it will give the opportunity to store the conversation easily in a nother file

336 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Channel Limit (Increase beyond 200 limit)

We have run into a situation on a team, let's call it "Vendors" where we post data on vendors that we use. We set up a channel for each vendor but have "reached the limit" on the number of channels in a team. Is this something that can be controlled through an admin panel or is there another way to increase/remove the limit.

330 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

89 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    partially done  ·  Warren responded

As mentioned in the prior status, the channel limit was raised from 100 to 200.

In the near future a retention limit will be set so you can still go back and reinstate a channel you had deleted. Once the retention period has expired then the channel will get a hard delete which will free up the space and no longer count toward the 200 channel limit.

This will help with some of the issues you have voiced in the comments below.
    But I understand many of you wish the limit to be further increased. I will continue to provide your votes and comments to the feature team.

-Warren

9. Multiple Teams windows open at once

I want to have two or more Teams windows open at the same time, but the desktop version doesn't to that.

312 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Group Chats to be Converted into a Team Channel

There are times when people start a conversation as a chat with a few people, and the chat gathers momentum and eventually becomes a regular chat room. It would be great to be able to convert a private chat into a Team Channel. The way it could work is, if the members of the chat are all part of the same team, you have a function where you can select that team from a dropdown list, and "Convert to Team Channel". The private chat would become a permanent team, and all previous chat history would be retained in the newly…

308 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Editable Teams and Channels header

Proposed solution:

I have experience of using MatterMost (an on-premises Slack clone) and one of the features I really like is that each channel has an editable header. That header can contain markdown.

My team is a dev team and we use the channel header to display badges for our Continuous Integration (CI) builds. I'd really like to be able to do the same in Teams.

---

Problem right now, as described by one user:

I need the team description more easily visible. Right now I have to click on Edit to be able to see the description of the…

293 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is still be reviewed by the feature team. No additional details are available at this time.

-Warren

12. Custom Team Member Roles

Currently for any given team, there are only two options: member or owner.

This only allows for two tiers of permissions. It would be great if there was the ability to either add custom roles to add more granularity for adding/removing permissions for different tiers of teammates.

283 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  25 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Better Team Permission Control

The current team settings are very bare-bones.

For instance, there's a single permission that allows for adding/modifying/removing tabs. These should all be separate permissions.

For the sake of usability, there could be a "master" permission for each piece of functionality (tabs, channels, connectors, etc...) and an expandable list of the sub-options where, if you didn't want to give a certain role all of the permissions for a certain functionality, you could give a role a subset of the create/modify/remove permissions.

270 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

Thank you all very much for the great response. The survey is now closed. The feature team will be reviewing all the data that was gathered and responded based on the findings.
    Again, thank you for helping us make Microsoft Teams the best it can be.
    -Warren

14. Re-using the same Channel Name

After you create a channel, then choose to delete the channel, you can no longer create a NEW channel with the same name. It seems like you have to delete the team and start over.

251 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Warren responded

Updating the status to “Try this instead” and have added the clarification that after 30 days the name is once again available.

The reason for this decision was that Channels can be restored 30 days after being deleted. During this time, we intentionally don’t support creating a channel with the same name. After the 30 days, the name is available.

You can workaround this by restoring a deleted channel, renaming it, and then deleting the channel again. The previous name is then available for use.

This workaround has already been mentioned in the comments and if an immediate reuse of a Channel Name is required, this is the recommended solution.
    -Warren

15. Add Channel Groups

Add the functionality create channel groups. This feature would add much more clarity in big teams with many channels.

Example:

Team Test

Channel 1
    Channel 2
    Channel Group (Development) [Collapsible]
    -> Channel XYZ
    -> Work
    -> etc..

239 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded

I hate to bear bad news but this feature request has been declined by the feature team.

-Warren

16. Embed channel in a sharepoint page through a webpart or Embed Code

We can pin a sharepoint as a tab, which is great. But when we are in the SharePoint UI, it seems there are no way to surface current conversations occuring in a specific channel of the team.

The suggestion is in conclusion to have like a "Microsoft Team webpart" for SharePoint, or a way to embed a channel in a sharepoint page

207 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Renaming a Microsoft Team

Currently when you rename a Microsoft Team it changes the display name to the new team name however on the backend in Exchange the old email address and alias remain, and a new email address with the new team name does not get created. When a Microsoft Team gets renamed it would be nice if a new email address and alias get assigned, and the old email address get shifted to a secondary alias.

200 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Users added to team line removed

In each general channel a new line gets created for all new users added to a team. Can this line be removed?
    As an example I setup a team and get some posts ready for welcome messages and introductions, then when I add groups of people, after a few lines all my messages have pushed up and off the screen.
    We have one specific team for all in the business and all the threads are getting lost as we add each department/individuals one by one.

189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Most recent conversations/replies on top.

I'd like most recent conversations/replies on top. Scrolling to the bottom to see the newest replies is a terrible experience.

188 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Conversation Webpart for SharePoint

It would be nice to embed a conversation in SharePoint as it is possible with yammer. This will allow us to create a general Teams with all employess as members with a main channel. This channel should then be shown in our SharePoint Intranet as a news tile (Webpart).

177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base