Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by me (Suphatra) and I’m a real person, not a robot. I work on the Teams team and sit in engineering, and its my job to represent your voice in the design and development of this product.

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which I check religiously!
5 — PARTICIPATE in user testing (sign up here: https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w)

Thanks everyone for supporting Teams. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Suphatra

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
    - Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
    - Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
    - Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org,…

4,675 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

443 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, quick update for you on this feature.

We’ve got lots of resources on this and we’re actively working on it. This is a top priority feature.

I haven’t gotten a firm ETA from the team but I can say this won’t hit in the next month or so. Its a complicated feature, so it will take longer than that. I’ll let you know once I get a general date from them.

Thanks for your feedback, patience, and as always, thank you for your support of Teams.

Sincerely,
      Suphatra

Questions? Tweet me at @skprufo.

• Ability to see who is in a channel

Ability to see who is currently in a channel. Hipchat and Slack have this feature

2,358 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

153 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • I want to use multiple Teams accounts at the same time

Original user posted:
        I would like to heave this multi-team/tenant option within “MS Teams”, like in Slack. Currently I’m in four different organization. They’re using all office365, three of them now changed from Slack to Teams. I’ve to permanently login/logout to switch to the related MS Team. This is really time consuming.

Another user says:
        We need the ability to sign in with multiple accounts. Many of us have several O365 accounts for various reasons (consulting, etc), and we’d need to be able to access teams directly.
        This is not a federation or B2B scenario, but…

1,356 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

180 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :-( But we are facing resource constraints for this feature and have placed this on our backlog. We know this is an important scenario and have not given up on it though! I’ll let you know once work on this starts up again.

• Move channels into other teams

We would like to move a project (channel) between groups to keep the information, or be able to sort channels to our liking.

951 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

162 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I wanted to give you all an update on this.

So, we have been reviewing this item and we’ve found that its a very difficult to do, given how our product is currently built.

We are interested in hearing any workarounds you have done in order to meet this need (moving content around), as this may help us think of new ways to solve for this. Please add your thoughts in the reply chain.

Thanks for your help, and the great ideas.

Sincerely,
            Suphatra

• Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorised personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

798 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Joining a Team

CHANGE PROMPT:
              Change "Add team" to "Add or join a team": I avoided this button because I thought it would always create a new team. It wasn’t evident to me that I could browse for existing teams there too.

PREVIEW A TEAM:
              Provide the ability to preview a Team without immediately joining, to see what the reason for the Team is and what Channels exist. It’s a little cumbersome to have to join, realize the Team isn’t what you thought it was, and leave.

TEAMS DISCOVERABILITY
              Presently you have to know the name of a team to be able to…

798 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. You submitted this just six weeks ago and brought it to our attention, and we’re happy to report its now complete!

However, we have some follow up questions for you though:

1 — We want to improve how people first join Teams. Would you be interested in sharing your experience? Please add to the thread below exactly what your experience was when you first joined Teams and wanted to get started. Where you went, what your instincts were, what you were trying to achieve, etc.

2 — Would you want to talk to one of our researchers to share your thoughts? If so, sign up here and note “Join a Team” as your research interest. https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w

Thanks again for your engagement — you are helping us make Teams better and better!

Sincerely,
                Suphatra

• Importing from Slack, Hipchat, Flowdock, Basecamp, etc.

Hi,
                We are using Slack for a long time and now we are thinking to transition to MS Teams. In Slack it is possible to export all channel content's in JSON with links to files uploaded to slack.
                It could be very useful to have the ability to import the slack history into MS teams.

692 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

I know this feature will make migrating to Teams much easier for so many of you - and that’s why its an important feature. We’re having trouble implementing it because it requires access to information and functionality not yet exposed (create teams, channels, write messages, “imitating” real users, etc.). So, we first are working to make this functionality available-namely, providing a “Create Teams” API, which is difficult and complicated, and thus going to take much longer than we anticipated.

Thus, I am interested in crowdsourcing your creative brains for alternative solutions that could work temporarily while we work on this feature. If you have any ideas or hacks you’ve done to import data from another productivity tool, please share!

Thanks so much, especially for your support of Teams.

Sincerely,
                  Suphatra

• Recreate deleted channel

Deleted channels cannot be recreated. They are visible in ShaerPoint, but cannot be recreated or restored in Teams.

523 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I know this is painful, I’m so sorry!! I know some people have done a workaround which is to delete the whole team and then follow the Office Groups steps for recovering the Group/Team, in order to get that channel back. But ugh, that’s not a good solution!

We’re figuring out how to bring this to you — it has a lot of dependencies on Engineering teams outside of our group, namely Groups and SharePoint. I’ll let you know as we progress.

Thanks for your support of Teams and please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you need anything at all!

Sincerely,
                    Suphatra

Twitter: skprufo Email: sparavimicrosoft.com

• Federation

Hi everyone -- I'm splitting this feature out from the "Guest Access" feature request so that you can weigh in on this specific issue and provide feedback for it here. Please write in the comments what you would like to see with Federation and I will incorporate it into this description. -Suphatra

FEDERATION REQUESTS:

#1 -- When our team have a live call meeting we can not add people to the call that doesn't belong to the team, even if they are from the same company. Additionally can we brought client which will be federated.

#2 -- Need to be…

382 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  17 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Rename of Team Channel doesn't rename associated Sharepoint files Folder

When renaming a Team Channel, the associated Sharepoint folder continues with it's previous name. This could lead to confusion.

334 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Team Templates

A team template!! Much like sharepoint document site or site templates that contain a specific layout and set of documents this would be amazing for a team template. We could deploy a team for each project we had that had a preset assignment of planner tasks and documents attached to it and a preset of channels that goes with that team. Could really make a big difference in the way we deploy and use teams.

212 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  28 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Assign members to channels

I might have a team called IT and channels of IT projects. So assigning members to channels would be great, since it's not the same for each project (channels).

199 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, can you provide more information on this request? I want to understand if this is the same ask as the ask for public/private teams, or if this is the common issue we get with people unaware they can invite people into a team using a distribution list email address. If you can respond to the thread here or tweet to me at @skprufo, that’d help a lot!

Suphatra

• Nested Teams and subchannels

Could it be possible to create teams within teams. For example, we have a Development Team at our company which consists of two sub-teams, tech support team and project team.

I’d love to be able to have a “home” top-level channel for my project team, and then have sub-channels for each project that we are working on.

195 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add option to have non-threaded channels

I'd like the capability when I add a new channel to make it non-threaded. Threaded conversations are great for some channel topics, but other more casual channels get too cluttered with multiple threads. I'd prefer to have the flexibility to decide which format I want when I create the channel.

124 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Delete or rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

97 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Team directory

There should be a quick way of viewing all the public teams in my organization outside of search.

90 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  6 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Custom Group Categories for Teams

As I create more and more teams, I need to be able to group or categorize them. It seems like the only native groupings are "favorites" or "more". I would like to be able to create other categories. Once I get over 30 teams, grouping them into detailed categories is going to be imperative to stay organized.

88 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Channels visibility

See all channels inside a teams in the left panel under the Team's Name

83 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently we have Teams defaulted to show you the first (up to five) channels ever created. If you want to add more channels to your left rail view, just click the ellipses next to the channel name and select “Favorite”. When you favorite the channel, it will then be “pinned” to your left rail under that team name.

Try that and let me know if that meets your needs!

Suphatra

• Make "Follow this channel" the default setting.

Usual Microsoft lack of UI intuition.
                                        Channels should be followed by default with the user unfollowing it if they wish.

78 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Search Public and Private Teams

Users report its very difficult for their peers to find a team that they have created. This hinders their ability to increase team membership.

---

Other users report its frustrating that they can't just search ALL the teams at their organization -- that only a small fraction are surfaced to them in their "Suggested" view.

---

The capability to view Public Teams when you click on "Create Team" is great.

HOWEVER... it would be a better user experience if there was a prominent button or link called "Search for Teams".

Teams needs this discovery capability to avoid the duplication of…

77 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on this item. I know its counter intuitive to not be able to just see a full list of all the teams at your company, or easily find the team you just created. I talked with engineering and they shared that the reason for this is because —

“The creation of a public team does not show in the suggested view instantaneously. It takes quite a while as Exchange needs to process that to determine if a Team is relevant based on the members that are in it before we would get those results to display in Teams. Users can opt to search for the team directly using the search bar on the top right by using typing in the exact name of the Public Team.”

I know, we’re over-thinking ourselves here. So, we understand its important for you to be able to find…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base