Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

It’s managed by me (Suphatra) and I’m a real person, not a robot. I work on the Teams team and sit in engineering, and its my job to represent your voice in the design and development of this product.

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which I check religiously!
5 — PARTICIPATE in user testing (sign up here: https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w)

Thanks everyone for supporting Teams. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Suphatra

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
    - Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
    - Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
    - Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org,…

11,155 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

887 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • I want to use multiple Teams accounts at the same time

Original user posted:
      I would like to heave this multi-team/tenant option within “MS Teams”, like in Slack. Currently I’m in four different organization. They’re using all office365, three of them now changed from Slack to Teams. I’ve to permanently login/logout to switch to the related MS Team. This is really time consuming.

Another user says:
      We need the ability to sign in with multiple accounts. Many of us have several O365 accounts for various reasons (consulting, etc), and we’d need to be able to access teams directly.
      This is not a federation or B2B scenario, but…

3,983 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

400 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Ability to archive channels

Would be nice if we had the ability to archive channels. For example: we created a channel for a specific project. Once the project is complete, we can archive that channel or at least move it out of the primary view. I could see the channel list getting large and clunky quickly with multiple projects many of which are complete.

Also, when a conversation in the channel is complete it should be archived or hidden.

3,951 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

200 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately due to re-prioritization this item has slipped back onto the “backlog” for the time being.

I hope to see it move back into “working on it” soon and will continue to engage the feature team with your feedback.
          -Warren

• Move channels into other teams

We would like to move a project (channel) between groups to keep the information, or be able to sort channels to our liking.

3,494 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

427 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Access to email from left tab panel

If there was an Outlook tab integrated on the left, similar to the Meetings tab (which is effectively the Outlook calendar), one could stay in Teams all day and not have to switch out.

2,608 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

312 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Create Team from existing SharePoint site, and other requests

#1 User Request on SharePoint:
              Enable integration of Microsoft Teams to an existing SharePoint site rather than to always create a new site collection

There have been a few ideas raised on integrating lists, OneNote, document libraries, etc. from an existing SharePoint site with Microsoft Teams, but in summary, it will be best if we could create a team upon on existing site, so that the "Files" and "Notes" tabs would directly reference the existing document library and OneNote in SharePoint. It does not make sense to have two separate sites: one for all the usual SharePoint stuff, and another…

1,847 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

221 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Move conversations to different channels

If a conversation is started in one channel but gains importance to the point where the conversation deserves its own channel. Or a conversation was started in the wrong channel and needs to be moved

1,706 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

159 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorized personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

(The request for a Public Announcement channel is complete, since the General channel can be controlled by admins and set to read only)

1,559 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Due to a priority shift this request has slipped to the backlog. I hate to bring bad news. I will continue to provide the feature team your feedback and votes.
                    Hopefully this will move back up in the queue soon.

-Warren

• Unread message count on Chat, Teams, channels

Right now there is a unread message count badge on the Activity tab icon (I guess you only get that if you have followed any channels?). However I would much rather prefer if the badge was on the Chat and Teams tab icons so I can see where there is activity. Currently collapsed teams are also indicated having activity. Expanded teams should have the same indication.

Furthermore, the unread activity badge on both the Activity and the application icon count unread channels. I would prefer a message count.

1,092 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Joining a Team

CHANGE PROMPT:
                      Change "Add team" to "Add or join a team": I avoided this button because I thought it would always create a new team. It wasn’t evident to me that I could browse for existing teams there too.

PREVIEW A TEAM:
                      Provide the ability to preview a Team without immediately joining, to see what the reason for the Team is and what Channels exist. It’s a little cumbersome to have to join, realize the Team isn’t what you thought it was, and leave.

TEAMS DISCOVERABILITY
                      Presently you have to know the name of a team to be able to…

1,065 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Team Templates

A team template!! Much like sharepoint document site or site templates that contain a specific layout and set of documents this would be amazing for a team template. We could deploy a team for each project we had that had a preset assignment of planner tasks and documents attached to it and a preset of channels that goes with that team. Could really make a big difference in the way we deploy and use teams.

722 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Nested Teams and subchannels

Could it be possible to create teams within teams. For example, we have a Development Team at our company which consists of two sub-teams, tech support team and project team.

I’d love to be able to have a “home” top-level channel for my project team, and then have sub-channels for each project that we are working on.

647 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request has been reviewed and declined by the feature team.

You can continue to up vote this topic as well as leave comments. Depending on the ongoing feedback, there is always a chance a topic will be revisited based on user demand.

-Warren

• Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

607 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

100 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Change which Tab is default landing page for a Team and/or Channel

Right now the conversation tab is the default landing page for a Team and/or Channel.
                              I want to be able to have a SharePoint site landing page in a tab and that tab be the default tab open when you navigate to a team or channel.

Think of it like a landing page for that team. You may not want it to drop right into Conversations. If you can have a SharePoint page with a Microsoft Teams conversations web part, you get the best of both worlds.
                              I can see a lot of scenarios where you'd want the chat window…

431 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Team Opt Out - (Assign members to channels, not automatically)

I might have a team called IT and channels of IT projects. So assigning members to channels would be great, since it's not the same for each project (channels).

Primary ask is to be able to set a Team to "Opt Out" and therefore not automatically join team members to every channel under that specific Team.

Users would have the ability to invite others users to channels. (Or as an Admin, add people to channels as needed.)

342 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request has been declined by the feature team.

Private channels may help with items such as this request once they are released. The Private channel topic is tracked at http://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16911079

Please note the handling of “Guest Accounts” is a separate ask and can be found at: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911109-guest-access

The request about “Guest Access at the Channel” level is being tracked by this request: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577-guest-access-should-be-implemented-at-the-channel

Thank you all for the feedback.
                                  -Warren

• When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply.

When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply. If a user leaves the company or if we have new users, it is a manual process to add or remove them from a Team. Since we can select a Security group or Distribution list, changes to either should be reflected on the Team members.

284 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Team directory

There should be a quick way of viewing all the public teams in my organization outside of search.

255 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Custom Group Categories for Teams

As I create more and more teams, I need to be able to group or categorize them. It seems like the only native groupings are "favorites" or "more". I would like to be able to create other categories. Once I get over 30 teams, grouping them into detailed categories is going to be imperative to stay organized.

242 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Merge/consolidate channels

We changed the mind about the way we used some channels. We decided that some of the channels need to be merged. It would be nice to be able to do this without using history. We want history to be merged.

228 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Search Public and Private Teams

Users report its very difficult for their peers to find a team that they have created. This hinders their ability to increase team membership.

---

Other users report its frustrating that they can't just search ALL the teams at their organization -- that only a small fraction are surfaced to them in their "Suggested" view.

---

The capability to view Public Teams when you click on "Create Team" is great.

HOWEVER... it would be a better user experience if there was a prominent button or link called "Search for Teams".

Teams needs this discovery capability to avoid the duplication of…

210 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately we hit some snags and this has moved back to “working on it”. The team is working to make some corrections and I hope to have a release date in the near future. I’ll keep you posted with what I hear.
                                            -Warren

← Previous 1 3 4 5 58 59
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base