How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to paste images

For example, being able to paste an image into a conversation or channel with Ctrl+V

23 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joel Sanderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Angela Sze responded  · 

Thanks for your feedback! We currently support pasting an image via Ctrl+v. Your cursor must be active in the compose box and have an image on your clipboard. If this does not work for you, please reply with more detailed information as to the scenario you’re trying to execute so we can follow up with the product team.

28 comments

Comments are closed
  • Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When trying to copy and past into Wiki. It only works if I copy and past the picture into a Word document and then recopy it from the Word document and then past it into Wiki.

Not fun.

• Owen Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been consistently buggy for me. I copy an image, paste it into teams, and it appears in the conversation for a short period of time (maybe 2-20 minutes) before being retroactively replaced with the "missing src" icon that you normally see on webpages with img tags pointing to missing resources.

This is really really frustrating. I send an image off to a colleague, it looks like it has been sent, then 10 minutes later it's gone. Impossible to trust. This works so much more seamlessly in Slack...

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 desktop app 1.0.00.8201 - this still doesn't work.

I copied an image from a web page in Chrome (right click, copy image) and tried pasting it into the "Start a new conversation" text box. Nothing.

Created a new email in Outlook 2016 and pasted it in no problem.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Foiund this while googling on how to past images. Please! Just assumes this was there. Love Teams, but the use of images in discussion is critical. Use all the time for screenshots of problems and much less captivating if have to click and not does not show directly in timeline.

• Mike Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Angela Sze.....I would also like to share my vote for more versatility in Teams, as far as copying/pasting images goes. Specifically, please develop support for pasting other image formats that are saved on the clipboard.
    ============================
    I share many screenshots back and forth daily with my team members (usually via 3rd party tool, Greenshot). Copy/paste is a major timesaver compared to workaround solutions of having to save first, locate the file, then use either dialog box for uploading attachment, or switching windows in order to use drag and drop.

I dug into this issue myself a bit more. For my results below, I marked a YES if I was able to successfully paste image inline to a conversation within MS Teams.

---[YES] Took screengrab using Windows Snipping Tool, and clicked "Copy to Clipboard" from toolbar

---[NO] Took screengrab using Windows Snipping Tool, saved it to desktop as PNG, closed Snipping Tool, selected "capture.png" from Desktop/File Explorer, attempted to copy whole PNG file to clipboard

---[NO] Took screengrab using Windows Snipping Tool, saved it to desktop as JPG, closed Snipping Tool, selected "capture.jpg" from Desktop/File Explorer, attempted to copy whole JPG file to clipboard

---[NO] Used Greenshot, then clicked copy to clipboard from Greenshot editor toolbar. SETTINGS USED---- Preferences > output > expert > clipboard formats, I tried each available format individually and also tried it with every format option enabled (BMP, JPG, PNG, HTML, HTML with inline image, etc.)

---[YES] Used Greenshot, then clicked copy to clipboard from Greenshot editor toolbar. SETTINGS USED---- Preferences > output > expert > clipboard formats, I enabled ONLY the following format: "HTML with inline image"

This often does not work, I get a message that it cannot be downloaded. It especially does not work in the interface from skype to Teams when the picture is pasted into skype, but the message has come up in my teams window - I can't get to it in skype and cannot get to it in Teams. We often end up having to email the pictures/snips. It defeats the purpose of having a chat/IM tool.

Normally we chat on Line app or whatsapp, we can paste picture that capture from our screen or take a photo. we would like to use this app as center application install of mobile chat.

• Armand Salmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not work for me.
    I have created a HOWTO document in MS Word 2016 with text and images.
    Copy/Paste into Teams leaves blank boxes throughout the WIKI page.
    Manually Copy/Pasting each image one-by-one can paste that one image, but there is no option to resize.

• Craig H. Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks! This helps, especially if we're sending screen-shot snippets for tech-support purposes. Keep up the great work Teams Team!

• Matt Mendenhall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the Mac client I also am unable to paste an image on my clipboard into Teams. Cursor was in a compose box and I confirmed I could paste into word, and other apps, but I only get URL from a web image and when I try a screen shot I only get the name of the image. When will this be added in? What about drag and drop support as well?

• Kerry Sanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried this in Microsoft Teams version 0.6.00.34901 (64-bit) on Windows 7. It cannot paste an image from the clipboard to the compose box at the bottom of a channel or a chat. I verified that the image is indeed on my clipboard, because after I couldn't get it to work in Teams, I went to Outlook 2016, created a new message, and pasted the image into the message.

• Kramer1007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this definitely doesn't work with chrome. using Edge browser does not yield great results either.

• Mark Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desktop app on windows 8 doesn't work to ctrl+v an image.

I have Microsoft Teams Version 0.6.00.32301 (64-bit). It was last updated on 11/30/16.

• Julian Wefers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Neither copy a picture file and paste nor "copy image" from chrome and paste works for me. Basically, no c-p scenario works for me. Using the 64 bit desktop client on win10

• Gerjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, i think this issue is not completed. Copying a image in Chrome and paste it in Teams does not work

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.