How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

5,839 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

824 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want academia to embrace Microsoft, Linux support is a must. We have a number of faculty, staff, professors, and researches that use Linux desktops. Most of them use Slack because of this reason.

I understand the user population is small, but they are vocal and influential decision makers.

This is my +1 for Linux support from a large university.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you think it can be done in less than a year? It's needed to keep Linux team members in touch.

• Charles Roddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no evidence that potential Teams users are more likely to be developers than the general population, and so there is no evidence that more than 2% of potential Teams users are likely to be Linux-users. (Let alone linux-only users.) And actually developers have other options: github/gitter are good choices, and azure devops will hopefully improve to be a good choice for team communication too.

It's true this app is Electron-based but that's what makes it terrible (abysmal performance and memory consumption). Supporting Linux now would mean more investment in the Electon app, and continued investment in the Electron app makes it more likely that the other 98% of desktop users will be stuck with Electron.

• Julian Alarcon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User Agent for Edge 17 is working fine:
        "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.140 Safari/537.36 Edge/17.17134,gzip(gfe)"

Also, is possible to open Chrome/Chromium to an specific user agent with the argument "--user-agent="Desired User Agent"

It worked with the Snap installation of Chromium on Ubuntu 18.04.

@Sean @Charles
        if i was overly harsh, i'm sorry, but i do see it that way. being a linux user in a professional context i'd love to see those two very different systems working well together. linux and windows users have somewhat very similar ideas of what they want to do with their systems - especially in terms of customizability, hackability and freedom of choice. but what i can see is that anytime windows is offering new technologies they try to do the same as apple: lock the other users out. Oh and btw regarding the office joke. MS provides office for Linux. It's called office365 and it provides all i need to work together with other people on all platforms. So why not do the same with teams? :)

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous

Good point about the prevalence of Linux in technical environments - there are a lot of Linux users where I work too.

But I think you're being overly harsh on @Charles; he may simply not be in a situation where lack of Linux support is a problem, and has thus not seen the (real) need for it.

@Charles Roddie
        Ridiculous comment. Not sure which world you come from, but a 2 % Market Share overall is not nothing. Plus, in some user groups, Linux has a market share very close to macOS and Windows:

"According to a StackOverflow survey, 26.2 percent of developers use Apple's Mac operating system, while distributions based on the open-source kernel are not that far behind, having a combined 21.7 percent usage share.

This may come as a bit of a shock, but, yes, OS X and Linux are nearly as popular as Windows among developers. In fact, according to StackOverflow, "If OS adoption rates hold steady, by next year's survey fewer than 50 percent of developers may be using Windows" -- and, obviously, OS X and Linux will come out even more popular in the process."
        Source: https://betanews.com/2016/03/18/os-x-linux-windows-developer-os-market/

Microsoft could just fix the web client and make it compatible to all operating systems. Others succeed in doing that as well. Your comment is a great example of the destructive and protectionist attitude that microsoft had here and that raises comments like the 814 before yours.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Charles Roddie

Teams is a collaboration product. As the size of a team grows, especially in a technical environment, the chances of needing to include Linux users approaches 100%. If you need to communicate with them, and Teams doesn't support that, then you end up having to have a second system which supports them too. And you're then maintaining two systems, one which meets the needs of all your users, and one which doesn't, then you might as well ditch the one which doesn't. Even though the raw percentages of Linux users are indeed small, it's still in Microsoft's best interests to support them.

Also, one of the reasons for developing the Teams client using the Electron framework is precisely for cross-platform portability. The real question is why are they *not* supporting it, when literally the first words on the Electron framework's website are "Build cross platform desktop apps".

• Charles Roddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous request. Obviously not justified by market share of this operating system. Office doesn't have a Linux version. Why would teams.

• Maria H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please - mixed teams, on Windows, Mac and Linux - but we want to use Teams.

so MS is Linux friendly if u run Linux on Windows, but when comes to run Windows stuff on Linux, na na na... come on, stop with this and do it already! Teams for Linux!

• Artem Bliednov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy task to bring thousands of users into MS Teams! What are you waiting for? Even Cisco WebEx supports screen sharing in Linux now! :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 41 42

Feedback and Knowledge Base