How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

4,087 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

468 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been a few months, any update? As it is for many others, this could be a show-stopper for development adoption of Teams. On the workaround to use Google Chrome to run the web version of Teams on Linux, does that support audio and video? I believe you don't get the banner/desktop pop-up notification for which Franz may offer some workaround. What else is lacking with the web version?

• 3vi1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wouldn't really need it, if Teams didn't complain that Vivaldi was unsupported despite using the same engine as Chrome. :\

• Tobias Weisserth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Warren,

checking in on this again. Any update on a native Linux client?

If Teams is meant to target the developer community currently using Slack, then we need a Linux client for Teams. I can't stress this enough.

With more and more features being added to Teams as it only exists on Windows, Mac and mobile, I worry about the technical debt starting a Linux port from scratch when all design and implementation decisions so far did not have a Linux environment in mind.

I'll check in frequently to see if there's an update.

thanks,

Tobias W.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of the start ups uses Linux as the primary OS. So Linux client is so important which will gain major share of Startups towards Teams.

Slack is an excellent communication tool but lags with the limitation of 10000 messages.

• Someone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You people are overly touchy. While Linux is nice thing, it brings not a lot for the low number of users and even less of which actually pay for office subscription. I rather see productivity features coming first and once all the major things are covered, the time and money could be invested into a linux port, which shouldn't be too hard since its based on Electron same as Visual Studio Code

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another +1 for this. We use Teams across staff in 4 countries and it works well. I've run Linux for a long time so am used to workarounds but wouldn't it be nice for once to get a native client.

I currently use https://github.com/ivelkov/teams-for-linux which works pretty well.

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shouldn't be a backlog item if you want this product to be taken seriously. Push it and as a mandate, you should not release any product unless it covers the three platforms. Your Software would be truly agnostic then when it comes to platform support. We will go slack if we don't have the complete support across all three primary O/S

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a large team of people (150 now, 3000 by the end of next year) on Slack b/c it supports Linux and our developers develop on Linux. MS needs to realize that the people who grew up in the hay days of the open source 'revolution' and lived through the 'Halloween documents,' 'Linux is communist, etc.' are now Directors and VP's at large and established companies. We make decisions based on technology platform support. Particularly because Linux has largely won the technology wars.

• Doug Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love a notification if this becomes available. I'm stuck on skype until screen share/voice is available either through the web version or a native linux client.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team has now moved to Slack because of this. It is ridiculous when a Linux environment is needed for some development.

• Micael Paquier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't understand how this feature can be in the top-8 on UserVoice and still in the backlog... This has been the case for months / years, it's a pitty. Our team will probably roll back to Slack, until there is a supported linux client...

• anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the company I work for chose teams as im / video / audio tool for remote users. I do not run windows at home and therefore stuck with the teams web page.
        if you can provide the functionality to call / video via the web page that would be a half way solution.
        native client is preferred. I do not see why it is so difficult as team is based on skype and there is a native skype client for linux.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base