How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,430 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

955 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Guillermo Mateo Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has Microsoft abandoned this issue? No updates since October 18, 2018. Has this forum lost its purpose? My organization is about to reject MS Teams because of this issue. Why was it so simple for Slack to support a client on Linux, and so difficult for a powerhouse like Microsoft? This forum is changing from a user voice forum to an outright complaints channel. Please do something soon. Thanks.

• deepak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need Teams for Linux, period! otherwise as enterprise wide we may have to abandon Teams to keep everyone (at least 10% are full time Linux developers) onboard on same collaboration app which is not going to be Teams if not supported natively on Linux.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok if we're not getting Linux support, how about opening the API to allow third party developers to get in on the game and add the support that way?

• Julian Alarcon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snap available here! https://snapcraft.io/teams-for-linux/

This client is able to do video/audio chat and screen sharing, support notifications and systray on Linux

For now we are just uploading in the edge channel, once we have the Continuous Delivery in place we will release to stable.

• Nathan Basanese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Signed up for the MicroSoft UserVoice just to vote on this.

It would be an important tool for me to communicate with Enterprise clients, and to help make cloud migrations happen for legacy infrastructure and applications.

• Julian Alarcon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guess whaaaaat!! Free software did it!
        https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux/issues/19

It's possible NOW to share the screen using a native Linux client!

Some minor bugs but it's working! Now everything is working natively on Linux!

I guess I will create a new feature suggestion to allow multiple accounts and keep smashing MS devs, hahaha. But seriously, please MS you are able to allow a more clean approach.

Check the code and compile it. We are polishing some stuff before deployment https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux/tree/0.1.16

Mine too. I can't tell users not to install Slack if I don't offer an alternative. This means that I also need the plugins for Jira, Jenkins and whatnot to work.

While there are some 3rd party clients for linux, making use of NodeJS and Electron as a wrapper for the WebClient a native client would still be superb.

Calls, Teams, Wikis and chat work. However, Desktop Sharing doesn't and this is an essential feature for a lot of people.

Microsoft owns Github and thus electron. Microsoft uses Electron already for VS Code. So I can't imagine it to be hard for Microsoft to rewrite MS Teams in electron to have the same app run on all platforms that support electron.

You guys could go open source with Teams even and have the community assist in the development of Teams. Just a thought.

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go talk to the Visual Studio Code team! That app rocks Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Hurry up!

• Guillermo Mateo Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This appears to be a critical requirement for current and potential Microsoft customers... Could we please receive an update about this? Is it feasible to expect functionality on Linux? Particularly, screen sharing is a much needed development. Please update the status of this request, as Suphatra's last update dates back to October of 2018. Now that Suphatra has moved on, will Alex take over this item? Thanks in advance.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I contacted Suphatra via twitter, but she doesn't work for MS anymore.
        So if any other admin could update people would be great.

• Connor Oud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the mean time, I'll use Nativefier to get the web app running on my Linux-based netbook.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 47 48

Feedback and Knowledge Base