How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Notifications for all messages in a channel

There is no clear way how to enable all notifications in channels. I have channel where I am interested in all messages.

1,962 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

I hope this brightens your Friday — your feature request is here! Our hardworking engineers have been working on this for weeks and we’re happy to report it released yesterday.

To set notifications for all messages in a channel, just click the little ellipses next to the channel name and choose “Follow this channel.”

If this made your Friday, please tweet to us! You can send the tweet to me (@skprufo) or just include the #MicrosoftTeams hashtag, and I’ll make sure it gets to our dev team.

THANK YOU for making Teams better and better with your awesome feedback. You guys are the best.

Sincerely,
Suphatra
Microsoft Teams

248 comments

Comments are closed
  • Tracy Alers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You totally missed the mark on this one. I hope that your "moment to address this particular question" isn't a dismissal of the issue we want fixed. I want to be notified of all communication in my key channels, but not have to have the window visible all the time. I have work to do.

Because I know that no one else is going to have their window on top, I currently have no way to expect the users like me, who like to be in the loop, to read my channel messages unless I tag @channel, and I don't want to do that unless it's worth notifying even the people who don't generally want to be involved in channel noise.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Jeremy. I often have 5-10 applications open at once. I can't have Teams always visible on one of my monitors to constantly keep an eye on the bolded channel names. Definitely need pop-up notification when new messages are posted in the channel in the corner of the screen.

WORKAROUND: As a workaround for the team chat notifications, we are able to use the @ symbol to notify people. If we want to notify everyone in the team chat then we include @groupname in the comment. (i.e. @Help Desk). You can also notify one person directly in a team chat (i.e. @Mike Smith) and they will receive a notification.

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra : The key here and why this is so important is that the teams window is always behind other work windows and not on top in focus. Users will have an email client open and on top of that a web browser with their cloud apps running in multiple tabs (oracle, salesforce, zendesk, etc). They may even have on another monitor a window or two open to Azure virtual machine consoles. Or large sales reports. Having teams open on top with its large UI is is not an option. There just isn't enough desktop work space and teams will always fade into the background.

So as team members post into team channels you never see any indication of new messages. The app can bold channels all it wants or any other in-app notifications. But if your eyes never see the app the in-app notification feature is pointless. You have to keep bringing teams to the front once or twice an hour at best. Which means you miss the "instant" collaboration of this Instant Messaging platform.

Desktop notifications (popup / toasts) for all messages where you can opt-out per channel is a critical necessity for businesses. And is stopping rapid global company deployments.

Our company (15+ offices world wide) doesn't care about any other feature or cool new thing in Teams. As long as there is no functional desktop notification system we can't global deploy the service.

• Michael M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that Teams doesn't use the Windows 10 notification platform is a little boggling. If I mark a channel for notification I would expect it to be in the Action Center. Also some new indicator on the taskbar icon that there is new Teams activity (like chat does) would be helpful.

• Fredrik A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra Great that you are working on this!

I guess from a feature-perspective it is not that hard:
    * Use the OS-native notifcations for each platform (will make admin and user setting easy. And also will make the badge counter for instance for iOS/MacOS work)
    * Make it an option to get a notification for each new message into a specific channel (per channel notification configurable)
    * Keep track centrally about where these notifications are sent and where they are read/viewed/acknowledged (to make the unread badge number on iOS go to zero if I have read/vieweed/acknowledged them on another client, be it Windows or MacOS)

Really easy to write like above. Really hard to implement in the product. But when it works it is like magic and "just works".

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with comment below. For me this is about desktop notifications when I am out of the application. We use slack both to keep history and to notify us of updates to our team. This requires app to not be on top and be able to notify when minimised. We cannot expect the team to constantly be checking Microsoft Teams to get these updates.

Notifications within the app are useful but not the main issue.
    What is needed is a pop up/banner which signals a new message, in any channel or conversation, when the Teams app is minimised. Just like skype does.

Messages on team chats don't pop up a notification.
    You miss them unless you are looking at the chat at the time.
    It's like having a phone without a ringer.
    Everyone here is using slack because this feature makes the app poor.

• Bryn J Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any chance we can get a view of what the notification improvements will be please? We are hoping you'll be sticking to your commitment of Q1 2017 for delivering the GA version of Teams and I'm really anxious to see if the improvements will meet our requirements, otherwise we need to park the Microsoft Teams project and move to something else like Slack or Ryver.

• Just a person commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical for my group. A sound + flashing icon on taskbar would even work. Once this does get implemented, I hope we would also have the ability to mute a channel as well

• James Heideman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an ETA for this? This feature is what is keeping our departments from switching to this, and finally getting rid of slack.

• Nick Castro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES. My team has a channel where notes are often added. I would like to be able to see a badge icon or something to know when there is new information here that I have not read.

• Sarah Greene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding notifications to channel tabs so that when you open a channel you have a quick visual overview for when updates are made within each tab so that you don't have to click through all of tabs to find the updates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base