How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Notifications for all messages in a channel

There is no clear way how to enable all notifications in channels. I have channel where I am interested in all messages.

1,962 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

I hope this brightens your Friday — your feature request is here! Our hardworking engineers have been working on this for weeks and we’re happy to report it released yesterday.

To set notifications for all messages in a channel, just click the little ellipses next to the channel name and choose “Follow this channel.”

If this made your Friday, please tweet to us! You can send the tweet to me (@skprufo) or just include the #MicrosoftTeams hashtag, and I’ll make sure it gets to our dev team.

THANK YOU for making Teams better and better with your awesome feedback. You guys are the best.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

248 comments

Comments are closed
    • Caleb Begly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those that are still wondering, you can go to the dots next to the channel name and click follow this channel to enable notifications for all messages in the channel. It works great so far!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

still not getting any notifications in channel post without a mention. Not sure what was fixed. We are all running the latest apps.

• Pete White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

but....still not seeing mobile (IOS) notifications working. It does increment the number next to the app tile, but no banner notifications (which work great for chat).

• Brent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Pete White
      Click on the ellipses just below the one you're clicking on. It doesn't show until you hover over it. It's the same one that ahs "Connectors" and "Get email address."

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same as Brent, I'm not getting this for connectors. I really need it to work for connectors as well as other users for our team.

• Brent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brand new Teams user and I just set it up today. I don't see anyone else mentioning that you can now get toast notifications from a channel without requiring a @mention by following the channel. It's a little hidden and doesn't show under the notification settings.

Click the 3 dots next to your channel name (same place you would go to add a connector) and select "Follow this channel."

I now receive toast notifications for a user talking, but I don't receive them for a connector posting something which I think is lacking. If I create important connectors, I need to be able to get a notification.

I also think it would be great to be able to control each connector notification separately, on a per-connector basis. For example, maybe I want Trello notifications to give me a toast but not RSS notifications.

In case anyone doesn't see the "Follow channel" option I just wanted to mention I'm on version 1.0.00.6701 (64-bit).

• Josh M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where are we at with this? We really want to move to Teams, and our first opportunity to build adoption is a notifications channel (notifications come from an email or webhook), and the @ mentions do not work in either of those scenarios.

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sol Exactly. The work around we have is that since we have a smaller team, we're using a group chat. It's kind of annoying since you can't mention anyone in chat but you can in the channel. The feature sets are so diverse, yet they're exactly the same!

• Gustav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very well said Sol. I shouldn't have to be required to open the Teams-app all the time to check for activity (just like I don't have to open Outlook to see if I have a new email). I really miss the subtle notification for a new item to show in the taskbar notification area.

• Sol Birnbaum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra The key point to note is that in a busy environment, where a number of other tools are being used, users cannot be bothered to constantly scan the teams panel for updates. They have other tools/windows blocking teams all them. They just want the ability to enable desktop notifications for channels should they so choose (and ideally email notifications too while away). I know a number of departments at my org refuse to use teams since they can't be notified of high priority items that require immediate attention in channel.

• Aleksandar P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't imagine Skype with notification of just "bold" text.
      Its chat (like voice) - I need to know from where it came - and please - popup, notification center (something)... - I don't want to put all my power into finding a last message etc...

• Jenn Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just downloaded to test with my virtual team today. There is no way i can make the move until notification pops up for every team channel and chat. It appears when someone responds to me in chat, i get nothing. I can't spend every second of the day looking at this. I work in a fast paced environment. This post from above is 4 months ago. Can we get a response on where this notification issue is?

Feedback and Knowledge Base