How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Notifications for all messages in a channel

There is no clear way how to enable all notifications in channels. I have channel where I am interested in all messages.

1,962 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

I hope this brightens your Friday — your feature request is here! Our hardworking engineers have been working on this for weeks and we’re happy to report it released yesterday.

To set notifications for all messages in a channel, just click the little ellipses next to the channel name and choose “Follow this channel.”

If this made your Friday, please tweet to us! You can send the tweet to me (@skprufo) or just include the #MicrosoftTeams hashtag, and I’ll make sure it gets to our dev team.

THANK YOU for making Teams better and better with your awesome feedback. You guys are the best.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

248 comments

Comments are closed
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new feature introduced an annoying bug, where your window won't pop up/flash if you receive a message in a subscribed channel. I've subscribed to all my channels and now the window won't even popup if someone mentions my team or my name... please fix this, as it's making the application useless

• Eduardo Spitzner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In some channels the conversation should be seen by all members. This solution solves half of the problem, because it depends on the user to check the channel for tracking. If by chance, one of the 20 members of a project fails to check the **** tracking, I will not have the information coming to my team as a whole. I would not want to take this unnecessary risk.

• russ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sorry but the following option is still not the most complete solution. First, messages from connectors should raise channel wide notifications, for example from vsts. Second, notification for all messages should be on by default, and have a per channel notification setting to turn it off.

• Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unfortunately, my team will be leaving Teams and going back to Slack since folks are missing tons of communications and there is no option to "follow a channel" in the elipses. #ugh

• Jeremy Hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that email notifications shouldn't be off by default, but rather be opt out. We should also have the option of a digest email like Yammer has.

Despite add as favourite and following channels, I still don't receive any emails, even if I am @mentioned. We don't seem to have a way of troubleshooting this.

• mitra@microsoft.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh my goodness, how did the Teams team get this wrong. They finally implemented a super important feature for any chat app, and did it wrong by making it off by default. -_-

• Josh M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jason Kelly I assume your testing has not included messages from email or connectors?

• Jason Kelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For mobile, make sure that "Followed channel posts" is flagged for Notifications, All our tests have been successful for this!

• Jason Kelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Channels I follow are giving a pop-up and there is a dot for new activity. I wish it would give the same kind of flagging that doing an @Mention gives, but it is better than before.

For all following, i don't think we are going to get this anytime soon. I emailed Suphata about this and was referred here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17022934-notification-for-connectors

To vote for it. We shouldn't have to vote to get this fixed. It's essential for what alot of us are currently doing with Slack or other products. I think we'd all like to move to Teams ASAP, but this is stopping us.

• Kerry Sanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I followed a couple of channels thinking I would get notifications for everything posted in that channel, but I have not received any notifications from those channels today.

• Scott Wolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please tell me this is a bug that messages from connectors don't cause notifications even when following the channel and not an intentional limitation of this feature?

• Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure what was achieved here... are there supposed to be email notifications if I have "followed a channel" ? Was hoping there would be an option for this and immediate/digest emails.

That's great. Why doesn't it work with webhook/email connectors??? That's what we need!

• Simon Hosford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need notifications for connectors before this is fully sorted. Very important for a lot of teams, we can't move over until that is sorted.

• Gordan Redzic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no clear visual indication that you are following a channel in the list of channels? Connectors is a key addition as well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice try, but it still doesn't work. I think when we typed "ALL MESSAGES", we mean all of them, including messages from connectors. It's a shame that without this, Teams is still pretty much useless.

Feedback and Knowledge Base