How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Notifications for all messages in a channel

There is no clear way how to enable all notifications in channels. I have channel where I am interested in all messages.

1,962 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

I hope this brightens your Friday — your feature request is here! Our hardworking engineers have been working on this for weeks and we’re happy to report it released yesterday.

To set notifications for all messages in a channel, just click the little ellipses next to the channel name and choose “Follow this channel.”

If this made your Friday, please tweet to us! You can send the tweet to me (@skprufo) or just include the #MicrosoftTeams hashtag, and I’ll make sure it gets to our dev team.

THANK YOU for making Teams better and better with your awesome feedback. You guys are the best.

Sincerely,
Suphatra
Microsoft Teams

252 comments

Comments are closed
  • Swami69 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are still bugs in channel notifications (even when following a channel). We have several users that still do not get notifications/popups. When is this issue going to be resolved?

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently looking to move from slack to Teams, but the "follow channel" feature doesn't fill the gap of notifications issues

We need more visible popups and integration with mac/windows native notification features to be able to take the full potential of teams !

• Adam Morrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable notification by default for all channels. Also please add the option to follow a channel from the mobile app. Right now we can only do it thru the web version or desktop app. Best option for my team would be to have all notifications on by default. Like Slack.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very nice if there was a (f) or some symbol next to the channel name to easily see which channels are being followed (without having to right click the channel to see)

• Cody D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype's notification forcing the toolbar open was perfect. That should be default and THEN you should allow for modifications of what you may not be interested in. Everyone around here gets so excited by Teams' capabilities and then everyone's face DROPS when someone brings up the notifications limitations. They go right back to Skype.

Messenger App 101 - The message and knowing that you have the message, is the number 1 concern of the user.

• Kevin Oechsle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this enabled by default for all teams that I'm a member of. Our company uses Skype and its enabled by default that any groups we create people will get notifications from. User's aren't going to want to go into each group that they are in and click the triangle, go to general and then follow the channel, they won't even want to bother with it, then complain later when they don't get notified of a sales lead that came in that they didn't get.

• Tom Eavenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we're seeing notifications for Chats, we're NOT seeing any notifications for Channel activity. Whatever was done doesn't appear to be working.

• Jill Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Follow Channel is not working for us...still only pushes banner/app notifications if a particular user or channel is @ mentioned. We were hoping to get around this by @ mentioning the channel, but it doesn't push email notifications...we need this for high priority customer issues!

• Omar Armas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just did it for all my Teams. Really, is so confusing, There are three "little ellipses" for each team, every one with different options. That for the end user is hard to identify and understand.
    There should be a better way to do it.

• Omar Armas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, you can do it better. It should be enabled by default, that's what people expect, it happens in Slack, in Facebook, in every social app.

I will notify people to use enable it via Slack...
    Hope it works.

• vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i don't know what is notification for you but in web version there is no web notifications (ie browser notification). only notifications inside the team webpage which is not very interesting.

• Raju Zagade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@suphatra : Thanks for getting this added.. really helpful feature.. however it will be nice once we click on the notification that it takes you to relevant channel instead of the last one used !!
    also it will show small window popup for new message would be great

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.