How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Notifications for all messages in a channel

There is no clear way how to enable all notifications in channels. I have channel where I am interested in all messages.

1,962 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

I hope this brightens your Friday — your feature request is here! Our hardworking engineers have been working on this for weeks and we’re happy to report it released yesterday.

To set notifications for all messages in a channel, just click the little ellipses next to the channel name and choose “Follow this channel.”

If this made your Friday, please tweet to us! You can send the tweet to me (@skprufo) or just include the #MicrosoftTeams hashtag, and I’ll make sure it gets to our dev team.

THANK YOU for making Teams better and better with your awesome feedback. You guys are the best.

Sincerely,
Suphatra
Microsoft Teams

248 comments

Comments are closed
  • Giovanni Sanguily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now we are Slack users and trying out Teams. We want to make the switch, but there are a few things about teams that make it less useful overall. The biggest thing is notifications. I will not receive any notifications on my conversations unless myself or my team was mentioned by using @. This leads to slower response time and less adoption of the platform.

• David Hirsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a low-traffic channel, but we need to know when any messages are posted in the channel. There should be a notification option to have banner popups, or at least some type of badging on the taskbar.

• Jaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute necessity! It seems rather strange that this functionality doesn't exist already. Being a member of multiple teams is extremely common and for some of those channels I'd like to always get a pop up.

• Caillin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some greater notification options are definitely needed. Would like the ability that you have in slack to be able to be notified for each new post in a group discussion.

• O@ABT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I miss so many messages because i get 0 alerts. even the app icon flashing would be infinitely more helpful than now

we want to switch from slack but we need to be notified of messages in channels, especially channels that are setup for emergency situations (not life threatening of course)

• Bryn J Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this. I've posted this on the forum:

I've been looking for something like Microsoft Teams for a long time to replace our use of personal Skype and Skype for Business in my company. However, there is one thing stopping us moving to it and that is notifications.
    I had a meeting with my messaging special interest group yesterday and we came to the conclusion we can't roll out MS Teams yet because notifications are poor. Team members don't get notified in a team unless are specifically mentioned with an @username.
    We looked at a way of getting around this by using Chat but with multiple people (rather like the way we use personal Skype for group chats at the moment) but then we found that you can't rename that chat 'group' to a meaningful name so that isn't going to work either.
    We need ALL posts to a channel in a team chat to be notified. Is this a feature that is going to be added please? Maybe it could be a preference where you can select whether or not you want all posts notified or whether you just want to be notified if you are @mentioned.
    If this was available we would adopt immediately because MS Teams is brilliant but we can't adopt until this is done.
    Can anyone tell me if/when this type of feature is expected please?

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see more and clearer/intuitive notification options -- still trying to figure out what some of these options are and if any of them do what I need them to do.

Also, it'd be nice to have a way of showing that new messages have been added to a conversation even if you weren't @-mentioned in them. Like a little notification badge on top of the "Activity" or "Chat' icons -- something that isn't too intrusive, but that calls your attention to specific conversations if you open the Teams window (like in Skype).

And on a separate note, I don't understand why "Activity" and "Chat" need to be completely separate. I like being able to see group chats and 1-to-1 chats in the same list.

• Carlos A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 here would be nice to setup per channel notifications. there are some channels i would like to get all messages being sent. Eg. we use the API to write to an ALARM channel to notify us of issues, been using this in slack for sometime now.

• yinzguys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though I have all notifications turned on, I miss a lot of messages because I do not receive notices unless somebody replies directly to something I posted. I want to see notifications for all activity in all channels so that I do not miss anything.

This occurs on Mobile and the Desktop App.

• Mattias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to ask for better sound notifications, I tend to miss the sound notification.
    Maybe also being able to choose different sounds for different notifications.
    Some channels/mentions/chats I want a "loud" invasive sound to make sure I don't miss them.
    On others it's ok to just hear that something is going on...

• Damian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just been testing this with my team Patrick and it does work but not the way you would expect. It seems that sending a message in a channel doesn't give you a notification, however if the person mentioned you with @User or @channel or @team and you had the notification configured to Banner you get it pop up in the corner and the icon flashes.

I would however like to see the ability to receive the notification for any sort of message, even if you are not mentioned, sort of like Skype. Its either that or we need to train all our users to use mentions.

• Dave Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently there is only a notification option for when you are mentioned. There should be a way to enable notifications for any posts to the team/channel - unless you are currently in that team/channel's active conversation

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team and I receive no notifications whether that be sound or pop ups when a new message comes in even though our settings are configured for those notifications.

• Wes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of onscreen notifications makes this app unusable. New messages need toast notifications.

Feedback and Knowledge Base