How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

External Access and Federation

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

4,699 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, I know its been a couple months since my last update on this, so wanted to let you know where this stands.

We were aiming for June, as we had stated in our GA blog post, but we’re facing some issues so it’s looking like it will be just a tad bit longer (not too long). This is a top priority, so trust me when I say you will have it soon!

Thank you for your patience — we really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

314 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra, thanks for the update. Things happen. We are all doing our best.

Unfortunately for us, we couldn't keep waiting and are in the process of deploying Slack — which I like well enough, but I'm not a fan of its pricing model.

I keep hoping that Teams gets guest access, and collaborations between Teams shops, before we are so far into Slack that we wouldn't consider bailing on it. :-)

Keep up the good work, and thanks again for keeping us in the loop.

• Chris WebbChris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any chance you guys can post up a quick "what the design" looks like that your currently working to put in place? Just high level so we know how it will be working?

• flip phillipsflip phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking into Teams for cross-laboratory/institution collaboration, pretty common in our universe and therefore a much needed feature for us. Right now a shared Dropbox and email...

Effective GitHub integration (perhaps another thread/suggestion) would also be necessary here. It looks like I can get notifications and that, by having collaborators added to those organizations, we can make that work, but again, probably something that will require some thought for Teams, etc.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Meanwhile can you provide the available configurations around the Guess Access. (ex: domain limitation, specific teams limitation, approving process, only owner or all members can invite guest in team, guest like anonymous link or with ms account, do guest user need a ms account or can log on with their own...). This way we can figure out if this fit our needs when release.

• Gabriel VallejosGabriel Vallejos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot agree more with Chris WB. If some of you are using Slack or any other tool, don't change it until the new tool fit your needs. If some others are planning to using Teams, use it as it is, or wait until it be what you need.
        In my opinion, to be able to talk with the development team, share our needs with them and be heard it's a great value.
        Thank you Suphatra and the rest of the team. I really apreciate your hard work.

• Chris WBChris WB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, can we get real for a few minutes? I want this as much as the next person, but it's poor planning to be committing to a timeline with your customers, based on a commitment from MS on a uservoice forum... Be responsible for your own destiny and choose not to let your customers down.

You have no control over what MS does, how many resources they put on the task nor the challenges they face along the way.. why would you expose your business to that kind of risk? I'm kind of stunned and hoping it's not a real thing :|

Thanks for the update Suphatra, I appreciate how hard it would have been to post that knowing the community would be disappointed.

Keep us updated :)

Chris

• Brad FriedlanderBrad Friedlander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is disappointing. A major impediment (in our company) to widespread adoption is lack of access for our clients.

• MarcoMarco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,
        This is becoming a real problem now. You "commited to June" and I relied on this and made commitments for it to my customers. There are school migrations planned during July that rely on this feature. School starts again in August. So, will we be able to use Teams with external access or not?
        Thanks, Marco

• Jaap SlotJaap Slot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Supathra,
        Thank you for the update, can you give a more precise period of time to "a tad bit longer"? ;)
        Regards, Jaap

Thx die the update. Nu I rally hope to can invite each external email address and not only a Microsoft account and definetly not inkt en external persoon ego has office 365 like with yammer. The discussion slank cd teams is really actually at out Company but we are losing due to the lack of external sharing

Thanks for your time and effort. We would very much appreciate this sooner rather than later...

• Dxb DDxb D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As defined by Microsoft: "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Microsoft and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Microsoft does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Microsoft will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

The feature will be released soon.

• RichRich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this going to be more than extending guest access as with O365 groups or a way to Federate with other companies. We do not want to enable guest access in our tenant. We would like a way to federate with other companies as we can do with Skype for Business.

• ScopeTech Everything ITScopeTech Everything IT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an important aspect that absolutely needs to be included; better to do it properly than half-baked. But of course, the sooner the better - I have clients I have not introduced to Groups because of this pending Teams update, I don't want to muddy the waters and confuse them any more than necessary.

Hi, our organization is also just waiting for this feature - it's the only thing that prevents us from switching over to teams. Is there a release date? thanks, best regards.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base