How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

6,904 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments in this thread, tweets, emails and calls. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions at all; I’m here for YOU! I’ll continue to update this ticket as we make progress towards MSA.

Just in case you missed it, there is a FAQs in the Guest Access Help Article. Just click the “FAQs” tab here: https://aka.ms/GuestAccessHelp We’re updating them this week with new questions we’ve been getting, like “Is Guest Access available for Business Essentials licenses?” (The answer is yes.)

Lastly, the team is starting work on Federation so I’ve broken out Federation into its own UserVoice ticket. Please vote and subscribe to updates on its progress here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/20566714

Warmly,
    Suphatra

667 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should be able to any user to a teams channel regardless of them having a office 365 account or not. Currently when I add a user I am able to add the guest account, however, then the guest user logs in they are presented with the attached message:

"You're missing out! Ask your IT administrator for access to Microsoft Teams."

• Christian Gustafson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guest access is functioning between O365 tenants for us with our clients - this needs to expand to non-tenant users for a true guest access. We are still seeing the use of Zoom/GoToMeeting/etc... Consolidating these tools would help to reduce complexity and cost.

• Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this is that nowadays there's many competing products/services and platforms. When you make a call as to what tech the organization will use, you base it not only out of current features, but out of future features as well. Microsoft has fallen short on the expected features timeline that they themselves advertised as "coming soon" or where testing A YEAR AGO, but still haven't been released. This in turn leads to frustrated users especially when all other main competitors have had these features for years. This, compounded to
        1) New features released that are really not as big of a priority
        2) No commitment from Microsoft in terms of release dates
        3) People asking when some feature will be deployed in the company and having to repeat again and again "just a couple of months according to microsoft" and after years still not having them
        All of this makes people wonder if development is being prioritized in the right ways.

Progress is there, and the products are great. Just lack of communication and commitment of dates for KEY FEATURES is making people like me wonder if we chose the right platform for now at least. In particular, 2 years is very different than 2 months when you're talking about an organization's communication technology.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Chris WB, I appreciate your comment but O365 is a service now and not a product with a static set of features. The main selling point of SAAS is continuous upgrades and support. If this was an office 2013 license that I had purchased for a fixed amount of money I would not be complaining unless a feature that was mentioned in the official product features list was not working or not delivered.

For the record I think that people who rage about non existent products are wrong to do so. Feature requests are exactly that.....a request. However in this case microsoft publically announced a product and a set of features. Microsoft have failed to deliver again and again without even a hint of apology. Given that we are all now on a service model it is, in my view, a given right to be upset when microsoft have failed more than once to deliver what was a publically announced feature. If my company treated our customers in the same way we would have 0 customers now and be out of business. Microsoft needs to seriously wakeup and realise that their current position as the largest enterprise provider does not allow them to take advantage of their customers. I would bet that the majority of IT managers on the planet (most of which have been burned by microsoft at some point)would leave microsoft in a heartbeat if they could. Every misstep microsoft makes like this teams issue for example erodes customer sentiment. They left thousands of companies with a totally broken onedrive for business for well over a year.

I think we deserve what microsoft promised MONTHS ago. Read the announcement. "We've publicly committed a date for this feature, and it is June!" Well its now December. I am not shouting for a new feature to be delivered NOWWWW.

Your comment about voting with our feet......well companies are already voting with their feet. I know 2 companies which I personally assisted in moving to O365 that recently moved back to Gsuite. That hurt me especially when I microsoft continues to push their "committed to nothing, apologise for nothing strategy" while hiding behind the word soon on every single press release about anything new. My company is seriously considering the move back to Gsuite and microsoft continues to fuel the fire.

Please tell me Chris who should I complain to? This site is called uservoice correct? I apologise for the condescending tone and Chris I hope you understand that my distain is not directed at you personally but I am really annoyed with Microsoft. All I see from their management is a constant stream of scripted rubbish marketing talk and very little substance. I would argue that microsoft released teams knowing it was broken and it was 100% a marketing exercise to damage Slack before they got a stronger position with google. This was a good move provided that microsoft actually delivered a product that could compete with guest access working in a few months. Well that hasn't happened and I see this backfiring and hurting microsoft a lot in the long term. Modern SME businesses are agile, can change providers more easily than ever before. People tend to stick with providers who provide the best service and support over time. SME's often grow into much larger enterprises over time and people tend not to forget when they get burned and who burned them.

In business companies are often judged by how good they are at fixing problems and providing solutions. Hiding behind lies and silence for fear of litigation is not going to fix the problem.

• Chris WB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in no way a MS fanboy but I would say that MS Teams was not even part of the picture when most people signed up for Office365, so I don't really get the attitude of "we deserve this product NOWWWWW!" that we so so often.

I've said previously, if people are basing their IT roadmap on tools that are not yet finished then they're making a mistake. This would not pass any risk analysis, fullstop. If you HAVE done that and you feel MS have let you down, then do some self reflection on how you manage your projects.

In saying that, I do however understand the frustration at the length of time some of these features are taking, I want it yesterday too, but MS can't win with some people either way; if they hold off on features to get them right - they get rage for taking too long. if they release product that's not ready, with the intent of gaining feedback and input from the community, people expect a polished completed piece of software. It's really a lose-lose situation.

If you're unhappy with their approach, vote with your feet as they say. If you give the generic response of "MS is the only enterprise viable option", then quit complaining about it and keep things constructive.

I would be confident to say that most of us have gotten from Office365 what we expected and paid for when we signed up. They don't HAVE to work on new tools (although in the long run it's in their best interest of course) like MS teams or planner etc etc.

@anonymous my agenda is very clear and I really don't care what you or any other microsoft fanboys think. I want what was promised months ago. I don't want to waste my valuable time following personal twitter accounts to get updates on microsoft products. I want updates for microsoft products to be on the official channels. Oh and I want microsoft products to work as advertised....
        People coming on here to defend microsoft and how poorly they have managed this situation honestly makes me laugh. Is microsoft going to compensate the many thousands of companies IT managers who have invested many many thousands of man hours into promoting teams in the last year who have now been hung out to dry by microsoft?
        If microsoft cannot give a firm date or even state which year a feature will arrive in. Then don't post about it. It is called vaporware for a reason!

And I wont even start about the discrimination in Microsoft. USA, UK & Canada get business center with invoicing, mile iq etc. The rest of the world pays the SAME price but gets less features and functionality!

@Anonymous Don't twist the twitter conversation to fit your agenda, Suphatra clearly stated that it is coming and multiple teams are working on it as it is a top priority feature.

• Stephen McCartney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - I'm having an issue with Guest access. When I switch to an account where I am a guest in another tenant I no longer get the option to switch back. The "Your Accounts" section completely disappears, and I have to fully log out and back in to get to my home tenant. Is this known and is there a workaround?

Ahhh typical microsoft.... provide an update on the personal twitter account of an employee and here we are 2 days later with no official update on the official channel where thousands of users are waiting and waiting.

Guess what people guest access is not coming but its not the microsoft teams engineering group fault. Apparently it is other engineering groups at Microsoft causing the problem.

In short the internal fighting between groups is in the process of killing a potentially great product. Unfortunately it is not the first time this has happened and most certainly will not be the last. I feel bad for Suphatra because she will be taking the heat on this and should have posted here first before going to twitter.

• Tony Ingall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guest access is needed for people who do not have an O365 licence with any organisation. Any thing less is not true Guest access.

• Kristoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra, please make sure that teams guests does *NOT* require a teams license or activated teams from their admin to access a teams guest account.

A guest should be just that, a guest and it should be easy to access for ANYONE, license or not!

Also, make sure you can decide what content a guest can access, not always a guest should access the entire team resources but maybe just one channel in the team, a channel called external users or such...

Thank you in advance!

• dave dudek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So apparently the only guest user that can access our team is another teams user at another office365 company. They should update this FAQ on this as it appears that you can have any guest user be able to access a team (personal accounts).

Please make it possible, to invite externals that do not have any microsoft account or microsoft e-mail-adress!!!

• Heidi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't add anyone who has a 365 work account - I thought I was supposed to be able to but it tells me I don't have authorisation. Not sure if that's the user I'm trying to add or me who doesn't have the authorisation. How do I give myself authorisation if I'm the owner of the team?

• Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish they would stop calling their implementation of allowing access to your only those third-party partners that have O365 as "guest access" it's not!!!

IE:
        “Is Guest Access available for Business Essentials licenses?” (The answer is yes.) No, it is not!! Not for guests. You can, however, invite those that have an Office 365 work or school account.

Greetings to all.
        I have been waiting for MS to solve this issue, but unfortunatelly no solution is proposed and it seems that none will be available in the near future. I am moving to another option to managema my team collaboration.
        Sorry MS team.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 33 34

Feedback and Knowledge Base