How can we make Teams better?

External Access and Federation

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

3,136 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

180 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt RogersMatt Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize it's unlikely that MS is going to answer this, but I've seen a couple people say this is "coming soon." How soon? Like...2017Q2? Or longer?

I ask because we're in a strange spot where we're trying to consolidate IT tools for related-but-separate companies, and we would REALLY like people in those companies to be able to interact with each other on Teams. But to do it now and still meet our compliance needs (having them all in separate Office and Azure tenants/subscriptions) means we have to do some really wonky setup with a third-party product called Delegate365.

If this feature is coming soon, we could just hold off on setting things up that way. But if it's 9 or 10 months off...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

essential for us to integrate external partners (using office 365), subcontractors, individuals not using office 365. Currently to me and how I do understand the team app...it is another visual feature app using existing features of sharepoint. of course in a more user friendly way. Still the core feature is missing: the integration and collaboration of project partners isn't possible... frustrating. I do understand there are possibly techn., as well as licensing challenges do exist. Please find a license modell for externals not using office 365. e.g. carge for the team app on a user base for integrated external users e.g. 5 € per month over the the projekt period. This way externals are integrated over the period of project work. possible companies with office 365 can buy a package for external users that can be enabled/disabled. I would expect though that partners with office 365 licences should not be charged extra. Also, it must be allowed to configure the access rights of the individual group members by the group owner. If the team workspace allows only reading, still there should be an option to change the access rights individually.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For our organization teams is useless without external user access. We work extensively with providers and customers and will not even try teams until external user access is made availlable.

• Christian PeterssonChristian Petersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Want this now so we can connect all our offices around the world.

If we don't get this sooner we will probably look at slack instead or any other OpenSource project.

• BorisBoris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please push it sooner if possible, it's really a major function. Thanks

• hylophylop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Essential for work with external partners, otherwise product is only of half value.

• Stijn MuijsenbergStijn Muijsenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. If this gets added to MT its perfect for a company to use that has projects with externals

• Brian ThordalBrian Thordal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the feature of being able to add external team members and guests, as this is essential to my use of the system...

• Bardo SchützBardo Schütz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this is kind of essential to me to start using this software. Hope this gets resolved soonest...

• Dennis HaberDennis Haber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I add a member to the team who does not have Office 365? I have clients that I would like to add to my team. They are essential to serving the customers needs.

• Thomas CThomas C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also interested in what a release for Federation is looking like for a Timeline. I would like to roll it out internally but I cannot until we see federation. Can you update us Suphatra?

• Chris ShaidaChris Shaida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that Teams is officially out some guidance on this would be helpful. As far as I can tell the last guidance from Microsoft was in the Forum and was 'h1 2017'. Reasonable but now that we are here and through what I'm sure was the rush to get Teams out of beta perhaps we could get that guidance refreshed.

If background matters I am the CEO of a 500 person professional services firm which is an aggressive adopter of 0365. We've been using Teams and are willing to be patient. We get that figuring out the security and permissioning is a higher standard for Microsoft than for Slack. But expectation setting within an organization is also important.

Anything you cnas share would be helpful even if it is 'now it looks like h2 2017'

Thanks

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have. Today's teams span across company borders. It needs to be easy and seamless, no requirement for a MS account. +10K

Slack has pretty much set the bar, so Teams needs to _at least_ meet it. The area where Teams has a chance to beat-up on Slack is for all Office 365 users/companies due to the seamless integration...BUT Teams _must have_ feature parity. :-)

• Haimin Wung-SungHaimin Wung-Sung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a must - if we shall consider to use Teams. Pls. Hurry up :-)
        You can be inspired by Podio, and you can also consider to integrate Podio as an App for Teams. Happy coding :-)

• Harald LundqvistHarald Lundqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a show-stopper for our organisation piloting this product. Please hurry up fixing this issue! :-) On SharePoint this works well...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base