Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custom Group Categories for Teams

As I create more and more teams, I need to be able to group or categorize them. It seems like the only native groupings are "favorites" or "more". I would like to be able to create other categories. Once I get over 30 teams, grouping them into detailed categories is going to be imperative to stay organized.

703 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

78 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

Still under review by the feature team. Nothing new to report at this time.

-Warren

2. group chat picture

Allow users to set pictures / display pictures to represent group chats so it is easier to differentiate them

690 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Embed Media

If you paste a link it should embed the media right in the chat (Gif, mp4, youtube, Vimeo, Soundcloud etc.)

656 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Keep Tab in Memory when Switching to Chat / Other Tab - Prevent Loss of Edits, Files, Login credentials

Issue Summary:
    Switching from a Tab to Chat / Teams / Other Tabs causes the Tab to close, causing you to have to reopen the Tab (actually having to navigate to it again inside the team). This will reload the tap and all content before the Switching will be lost.

Issues:
    1. Tabs open in Team gets reset - when switching between Teams in Team View
    2. Tabs reload - when switching between Chat and Team View
    3. Content (edits, files etc) on Tab gets lost (Happens both for to Issue 1 and 2)
    4. It makes you re-sign-in to…

646 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

158 comments  ·  Tabs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make it possible to remove and/or rename the default tabs (files & notes)

It would be really great if we would be able to remove / rename the default tabs. A lot of times files / notes are too generic names for the tabs, so renaming would be really helpful then. :-)

642 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this feature request has been declined.

-Warren

6. annotation of PDFs

The ability to annotate PDFs, or at least open in a PDF reader that will, without having to download the file, annotate, and upload.

619 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

141 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Developer API to read/create teams and channels in them.

Slack has dev api to list teams/channels and perform bunch of management operations. It would be great if there's something similar available in Microsoft Teams as well.

618 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

96 comments  ·  IT Pro - Controls and Knobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

This item is still in the works. I’m waiting for additional details from the feature team and hope to be able to share something more detailed soon.

-Warren

8. Ability to reply to a specific message in a chat thread

I would like the ability to reply to a specific comment within a thread. Especially now with Guest access and Team sizes sure to grow and expand.

I was in a "Conversation" with several people the other day and the problem was that people kept starting new threads rather than replying to the thread. This was because the threads themselves were quite long, and the only reply button was way, way down, past dozens of other comments by several people.

Sometimes you just want to reply to one specific message/comment in a thread rather than at the end of the…

613 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

102 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Turn off message preview in notification toast

Currently, when I receive a message, a preview of this message is displayed in the notification toast. As we will be using Teams at work, it would be great for privacy if I had the option to turn off these previews, so the notification toast will just say "New Message from XY"

605 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add option to make emoticons smaller or be turned off

Would like the ability to turn off all emoticons. Every chat application I've ever used (Skype, Lync, Slack, Hipchat) allow this option. Or/and make the emoticons smaller.

It would also be nice to have the option to minimize an emoji or resize an emoji within the chat feed once a user has posted it. Currently ‘edit’ or ‘delete’ is available per message, possiblly if ‘minimize’ or ‘collapse’ option would make this possible? This would enable the viewer of the feed to create their own visual experience/not have to look at emoji if they don’t want to.

603 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Emojis and GIFs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    partially done  ·  Warren responded

The ability to turn off emojis is still being worked upon.

Also, there is work to create a compact mode which will also help reduce white space… which in turn will impact some of the complaints are far as wasted space from the emojis as well, that have been voiced in the comments.

Stay tuned for more details.
    -Warren

11. Persistent notification

I'm using Mac and one annoying thing is that I'm not getting notified of new messages in team channels (whether I'm mentioned or not) because I missed the banner in the top right of the screen, either from being away from my desk or focusing on my second screen. The red icon is added to the actual application icon in the dock menu when I get a direct chat but there should be something here to indicate that team chats have new messages

596 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This item is still under consideration by the feature team.

-Warren

12. -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled = true when created from Teams?

A recent update has changed -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled from default false to default true when Office 365 group is created by Teams. I would like an option for the user who creates the team to set this value upon creation. Our users need to use the O365 group as well as the team created in Teams. With this value set to true they cannot use the email functionality of the O365 group unless I use powershell to change the value every time someone creates a new team in Teams.

This post was created because of a suggestion from support and the information…

577 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Specific search

Search inside specific chats with other people and the ability to jump to the message so that the surrounding messages can be read and not just that message.
    not all searches can be pinpointed like a phone number. I remember the context but not the specific message. I can find the message in the general search then have to go into that chat and scroll to that date. Searching within a specific chat with another individual would be much more useful than searching all my chats.

576 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This item is still being reviewed by the feature team. No additional news to share at this time.
    -Warren

14. Conversation History

Send chat history to outlook " Conversation History" . Good practice, backup all communications. Please microsoft do not forget the basic requirements for use in companies.
    tks

561 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

105 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Redirect files tab to the sharepoint document folder of the team site or give the possibility to hide the files tab.

Redirect files tab to the sharepoint document folder of the team site or give the possibility to hide the files tab.

558 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

111 comments  ·  Tabs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Upload files into directly into folders in Teams on iOS app

A requested feature in Teams on iOS device is the ability to upload files directly to folders in Teams. At this time, you may upload files in the conversation tab, but it will be uploaded directly in the root of the team. In what I request, you should be able to access the Teams file archive, go to the folder where you want to upload the file and then upload.

The picture shows where I'd love to have an "attach a file"-button.

556 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Spell check in muliple languge

It would be nice if it was possible to have the Teams desktop app in one languge and spell checking in multiple languge and at the same time customize date and time format.

E.g. I would like to have Teams in English, have spell checking in English and Danish, and have date and time format in "Danish".

553 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  108 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create alias mention groups, or mention DLs like @here (Slack has this)

Can we @mention everyone in the team at once (group) instead of using @ for every single name?

Also, can we use a different first name than the system because people goes by different name?
    It will help if we can copy and paste the @ mention for new conversation.

Basically, I'm looking to be able to create an "@" alias for different groups of people within a team.

Use Case:
    We have a team with 3 designers, 2 mobile devs, 2 strategists, and 2 web devs. It would be nice to have the ability to set up tags like…

545 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  44 comments  ·  People  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. IMPROVED Markdown Support

IMPROVE actual markdown:

Disable auto-formatting of markdown
    *italic* not *bold* or _italic_
    Make it the SAME as GITHUB
    https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/
    which is closer to DaringFireball
    http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

IMPROVE for mobile:
    Please add markdown support for Android client.

IMPROVE for other languages:
    Currently the code formatting doesn't work for german keyboard users due to the system expecting another character after the `
    Due to that, Teams does not recognize the ` and interprets it as any other character.
    I think that needs to change.

544 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

90 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Suphatra responded

We’re fixing bugs identified in the comments, and other user reports we’ve received around markdown, but we’ve decided we’re not going to fundamentally change our markdown support.

This is the first time we’ve declined a request, and it didn’t come easily. We weighed this against other important features we’re working on to deliver and we had to make some tough choices.

Really appreciate your understanding on this, and please feel free to ping me if you have any questions, complaints, or need to rant.

Suphatra

20. Export your conversations to a document.

it would nice to have the feature to export your conversation to a document such as a word document or excel or to a file alike. this would be Handy if you need to send out the conversations to someone who you would not normally have apart of your team. this would save time and make it more user friendly. Also it will give the opportunity to store the conversation easily in a nother file

542 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

83 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.