Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

3,734 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

419 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to pin message/files/articles shared within a channel.

Guys, please add pinned items for channels. We often pin important articles/messages/files so that the whole team can see it. Very important!

3,431 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

290 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create Team from existing SharePoint site, and other requests

#1 User Request on SharePoint:
    Enable integration of Microsoft Teams to an existing SharePoint site rather than to always create a new site collection

There have been a few ideas raised on integrating lists, OneNote, document libraries, etc. from an existing SharePoint site with Microsoft Teams, but in summary, it will be best if we could create a team upon on existing site, so that the "Files" and "Notes" tabs would directly reference the existing document library and OneNote in SharePoint. It does not make sense to have two separate sites: one for all the usual SharePoint stuff, and another…

3,424 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

303 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is working its way through the backlog queue. No new details are available yet.

-Warren

4. Help us SEARCH and FIND things in Teams

We want improvements to search:

CTRL+F SHORTCUT
    I wanto to find messages inside a chat or channel with CTRL+F.
    It’ll allow me to quick search messages in a specific conversation.

PARITY TO SKYPE SEARCH
    Like in Skype chat, we need to be able to search text strings from conversations

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS VIEW
    I feel as though the conversation view looks a bit cluttered as is, and conversation threads are not as readily identifiable as I had hoped they would be. Some suggestions are: Add the ability to include a Topic Header for a conversation so that you can easily…

3,250 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

214 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Warren responded

This feature request has moved to the planning stage. There have also been several small updates that have gone out already, as well.

I’ll keep you posted as I hear more about coming updates.

-Warren

5. Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

2,890 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

528 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. allow any emoji as a reaction, not just thumbs up

Slack has this: get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/206870317-..

2,871 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

229 comments  ·  Emojis and GIFs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Need read receipts

Mobile working, Asynchronous working of teams is a common phenomena. Read receipts let us know if the message has been seen, so we know it can be acted on. Critical when large numbers of the team are mainly mobile workers.

2,800 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

260 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Suphatra responded

So happy to share that this is off the backlog and we are actively working on it!

-Suphatra

8. Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorized personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

(The request for a Public Announcement channel is complete, since the General channel can be controlled by admins and set to read only)

2,764 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Due to a priority shift this request has slipped to the backlog. I hate to bring bad news. I will continue to provide the feature team your feedback and votes.
    Hopefully this will move back up in the queue soon.

-Warren

9. More status options, custom status, and Out of Office

MORE STATUS
    I like the status options in S4B, and so does my boss. It will be important to my boss before accepting the use of MS Teams widely to have a broader range of statuses. Missing statuses are:
    * In a meeting
    * In a conference call
    * In a call
    * Presenting
    * Be right back
    * Off Work

Particularly of importance are "Be right back" and "off work". "Do not disturb" is probably sufficient for "in a meeting", "in a call" and "presenting". But, it sure is nice that S4B auto-detects those three statuses (for the most…

2,673 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

216 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request is still queued within our backlog. No new details yet.
    -Warren

10. Integrate tasks in planner with Outlook Tasks & Calendar

Every time you create a task in planner via Microsoft Teams and assign it to someone in your organisation/team it would be nice to see that task in outlook as well. I want to know and to be alerted that I have a task assigned to me without having to lon on to Microsoft Teams.
    It would be great to have a place to see how many tasks have been created in a team/channel and the status of each one.

2,638 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

144 comments  ·  Planner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

This is still being worked upon. I hope to have more details in the next couple months.

Please know the team is actively working on this feature.
    -Warren

11. Channel only members & guests

Channel only members enable collaboration with people outside the team in a specific channel, without granting them access to the team itself.  The channel member could be someone in your organization, or external to your organization (guest).

2,521 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  126 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 2,499 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Have the download function of files allow you to select the destination

Currently files are downloaded only to the DOWNLOAD folder. Allow a save as function / select download location.

2,422 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

316 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is now actively being worked upon. As we move through the development process, I will post an new updates to this topic.

Please keep the votes and feedback coming in. Your feedback is shared with the feature team every month.

-Warren

14. Use built in notifications for macOS

Notifications built into the OS (which all apps I've seen use other than Outlook and now Teams) are more functional and allow for more user control. Most importantly, they honor Do Not Disturb settings, which is critical.

2,413 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

312 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

2,341 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

356 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Show video for all people in Video meeting

Currently when in a video chat it only shows the active video for the last 4 people that have spoken in the chat. On the bottom bar it shows icons for all those in the chat. If it could show small video for all those in the chat that have their cameras turned on it would be beneficial. Then everyone on the video conference can see the reactions of others, whether they were the last to speak or not.

This is a problem with most video chatting applications. Google Hangouts it the only one we have found that shows video…

2,340 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

294 comments  ·  Meetings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Delete Private Chat threads

This request is for the ability to completely delete a private chat thread. (Not hide/archive.)

Again, this was pulled out into its own topic because it is still under review and no decision has been made.

To recap what has already been completed from the other topic:

1. Delete your own messages anywhere in Teams.
    2. Team Owners can choose if users can edit/delete in their tenant as well as choose if admins have the power to delete any message posted in public channels.
    3. The ability to hide your private chat threads (these are not the chat threads in…

2,301 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

310 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Backup, export, printing, archive options

Can Teams chat and activities data be exported, printed, archived, and backed up/restored? Within Sharepoint or elsewhere? This could be necessary for a few reasons both during projects and for historical records.

2,037 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

312 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

This item is still under review. No new updates at this time.
    -Warren

19. Hide the reply button under every message

The "reply" button is WAY too large under each message. I recommend either making the button just a smaller icon and off to the side of a message, or only showing it on hover.

2,026 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

201 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. This item has been declined. There will be no work to hide or remove the reply button.

As many people have commented, a big ask is to help improve how people distinguish between giving a reply and starting a new message.
    For that the focus will be on this item. “Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`”
    http://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/19224826

20. Make "Teams" and "Chat" the same Tab

There is no reason that Teams and Chat should be different top level categories in the left navigation. They are the same thing, perform exactly the same function, and making two different items simply confuses the navigation and makes badge notifications and discoverability much more difficult to use.

Please combine Chats into the Teams tab so that you can browse all conversations in one place rather than needing to navigate to different tabs to see different conversations.

Chats and channels perform essentially the same function, which is talk to some people and collaborate. Forcing the user to check two different…

2,006 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

263 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

This feature is still being reviewed by the feature team. No decision has been made yet. I’ll keep you posted.

-Warren

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base